IGNORED

Corrosion observation

CPUWIZ

Thought this was interesting, pulled the BIOS out of my pristine 1st revision all socketed board, the only chip that was ugly as sin.  All other chips are fine and the one thing I noticed is, the BIOS uses a totally different type of socket.

IMG-0088.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

Thought this was interesting, pulled the BIOS out of my pristine 1st revision all socketed board, the only chip that was ugly as sin.  All other chips are fine and the one thing I noticed is, the BIOS uses a totally different type of socket.

IMG-0088.jpg

The white colored versions are often found in the sixers.

2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I have seen this elsewhere, different metals will interact with one another. I wonder if the contacts in that socket are gold plated or brass, if they're the latter it would eat away at another metal for sure.

Aluminum and copper also do not get along.

• Like 1

I want to go back in time and whisper in the ear of all the engineers of our favored retro computers and consoles.  I would tell them that their works would be loved like a classic automobile, and that new games/software continue to be created for them.  I would warn them of the known weaknesses in their designs: capacitors, switch contacts, etc. 

They'd tell me that they're limited by retail price pressures, so I would appeal to their vanity with suggestions that in our time they would be revered in the same light as Da Vinci and the Wright Bros.  Ahh, but only those devices which maintained high levels of durability/reliability would be regarded thusly.  Engineers of lesser machines are vilified in our time, I'd say.

Then, I'd return to the present, and enjoy a functioning stock 5200 controller.  ;)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Wait, are you using your damn phone again?  The picture is huge.

No using my desktop. What I meant was the socket. I've seen those same types in heavy sixers but white in color and with similar levels of corrosion (Actually it looks like tarnish to me?) on the IC pins. 

21 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Yep, you saw the one behind the phone and microscope. :D

I figured the answer would be more as I wouldn't have been surprised in the least if you technically had 1 or 2 more as breadboards scattered around that bench.

41 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I figured the answer would be more as I wouldn't have been surprised in the least if you technically had 1 or 2 more as breadboards scattered around that bench.

There are more, but they are wearing clothes. :D

• 5 months later...

This type of "corrosion" can be prominent on RoHS compliant parts. It's present even on brand-new HDDs. It is nothing to be concerned about. Those that are concerned can either take OCD medication or apply Polydimethylsiloxane to inhibit further oxidation.

Edited by Keatah