IGNORED

If you could only own ONE or the other, the 65XE, or the XEGS?

BIGHMW

If you could only own one or the other which one of these consoles would it be?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only own one or the other which one of these consoles would it be?

• Atari 65XE Computer
    • Atari XEGS (XE Game System)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Just replace the OS ROM in that 65XE with one from an XEGS.  Instant built-in Missile Command plus an ECI if you use the right 65XE to start with.

Don't think you can do that - the XEGS ROM is a 32kB ROM and the XL/XE are only 16kB.

• Like 2

Just now, Stephen said:

Don't think you can do that - the XEGS ROM is a 32kB ROM and the XL/XE are only 16kB.

Yup, XL/XE separate BASIC and the OS ROM into their own 8K / 16K individual ICs.  IIRC, the Rev. 4 OS ROM in the XEGS had support for a single ROM consisting of the OS, Missile Command, and BASIC in 32K.  From what I recall, people have swapped the XEGS ROM into XL / XE machines, but it's not a straight drop-in (which, admittedly, I made it sound like).  Having said that, I have absolutely no idea what that would entail, though I'd imagine that a U1MB might help in that regard ;)

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

WOW you learn something new everyday, I never knew that, so my XEGS is actually more powerful that my 65XE, despite them both having 64K RAM???

In that case what kind of advantages would an XEGS have over a 65XE??? I have got to know, because it could be a game (figuratively) changer.

Edited by BIGHMW

57 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

WOW you learn something new everyday, I never knew that, so my XEGS is actually more powerful that my 65XE, despite them both having 64K RAM???

Nope, they're both exactly the same in terms of performance.  All that Atari did was to combine the OS ROM and BASIC into one chip (your 65XE has them in separate chips), and include Missile Command on that same chip.  Nothing was made more powerful on the XEGS; they just did things slightly differently.

57 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

In that case what kind of advantages would an XEGS have over a 65XE??? I have got to know, because it could be a game (figuratively) changer.

There aren't any advantages.  Both have exactly the same level of performance.

• Like 2

I will agree that the pastel colors on the buttons of the XEGS are kinda lame - but I *love* the separate keyboard/console concept.. I hate to say it but I liked it because it reminded me of an IBM PC, or even Amiga 1000 - I realize today at least the former is not a compliment.. Regardless, I would pick the XEGS over the 65XE all day long as long as I had my handy keyboard extension cable. WIthout the extension you might as well just glue the keyboard to the base unit cuz its too short to move it very far.. 

I have not done so yet, but once I find someone in the USA who will do the lotharek mods for me I think it will also be of benefit that the case itself has more room than an XE does for said expansions….

I had no idea they were rare.. I think BEST still sells them brand new dont they? I have one in pristine working condition and then another that will power on, but I get nothing on the screen. Would like to resurrect that one but alas my electronics repair skills suuuuucckckkkk..

Edited by doctor_x
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, doctor_x said:

I will agree that the pastel colors on the buttons of the XEGS are kinda lame - but I *love* the separate keyboard/console concept.. I hate to say it but I liked it because it reminded me of an IBM PC, or even Amiga 1000 - I realize today at least the former is not a compliment.. Regardless, I would pick the XEGS over the 65XE all day long as long as I had my handy keyboard extension cable. WIthout the extension you might as well just clue the keyboard to the base unit cuz its too short to move it very far.. 

I have not done so yet, but once I find someone in the USA who will do the lotharek mods for me I think it will also be of benefit that the case itself has more room than an XE does for said expansions….

I had no idea they were rare.. I think BEST still sells them brand new dont they? I have one in pristine working condition and then another that will power on, but I get nothing on the screen. Would like to resurrect that one but alas my electronics repair skills suuuuucckckkkk..

Well, that settles it, the XEGS it is, even though the 65XE has everything all in one compact unit rather than two separate units like the XEGS.

BTW, I also, have an extension cord I can use with the keyboard (ironically enough), that is my 6-foot-long 5200 (15-pin) controller extension cord I can probably utilize for the XEGS' keyboard as well. Nicely-thought-of idea by Atari to offer a 15-pin connector that is pretty much readily available at almost any computer store, or, right here: https://console5.com/store/neo-geo-aes-atari-5200-pc-controller-joystick-extension-cables-6-1-8m.html or the "basic" one at https://console5.com/store/basic-15-pin-atari-5200-pc-controller-joystick-extension-cables-6-1-8m-d15-da15.html 

Now aren't you fellow XEGS owners STOKED about that news??? Free up your XEGS and if you put the console on the top shelf in front of (either) a TV or monitor and place the keyboard on the retractable keyboard shelf of a computer desk it would look SO COOL!!! :) 

1 minute ago, BIGHMW said:

Well, that settles it, the XEGS it is, even though the 65XE has everything all in one compact unit rather than two separate units like the XEGS.

BTW, I also, have an extension cord I can use with the keyboard (ironically enough), that is my 6-foot-long 5200 (15-pin) controller extension cord I can probably utilize for the XEGS' keyboard as well. Nicely-thought-of idea by Atari to offer a 15-pin connector that is pretty much readily available at almost any computer store, or, right here: https://console5.com/store/neo-geo-aes-atari-5200-pc-controller-joystick-extension-cables-6-1-8m.html or the "basic" one at https://console5.com/store/basic-15-pin-atari-5200-pc-controller-joystick-extension-cables-6-1-8m-d15-da15.html 

Now aren't you fellow XEGS owners STOKED about that news??? Free up your XEGS and if you put the console on the top shelf in front of (either) a TV or monitor and place the keyboard on the retractable keyboard shelf of a computer desk it would look SO COOL!!! :) 

That is the EXACT thing I am using for an extension as well.. 

• Like 1

Just now, doctor_x said:

That is the EXACT thing I am using for an extension as well.. 

1 minute ago, BIGHMW said:

Something I’m very surprised about is that I’ve NEVER seen a modded XEGS case… that case out of all is prime for doing visual mods too.. would also be a super cool case to have an internal SD drive with an LED cutout in the case.. I’ve seen XE’s with that and they look super kick ass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doctor_x said:

Something I’m very surprised about is that I’ve NEVER seen a modded XEGS case… that case out of all is prime for doing visual mods too.. would also be a super cool case to have an internal SD drive with an LED cutout in the case.. I’ve seen XE’s with that and they look super kick ass.

Would something as simple as a custom paint job and different colored buttons (like all in Black, maybe perhaps with Gray buttons or a XE-computer-style shaded gray with black buttons) be SO kick-ass??? I would go for having my XEGS custom painted if there was a shop that would take on the task. Hey, we have custom colored housings for iPhones and iPads already so why not a custom colored XEGS!!! BOTH the keyboard and console could use it, as I admit, Beige may be fine for some but if we can pimp out our iPhones why not pimp out an XEGS!!!

I sort of wish they made the XEGS with a side mounted cartridge port and put the buttons on the front of the unit so you could stack a monitor on top of it and use it in a 'Pizza box' configuration like early Macintosh SE's.

That way it could be a console, for those that want a console, and it could also be configured as a pretty sweet desktop.

In my opinion the contacts for the switches are quite solderable as long as you don't introduce too much RF relocating the buttons is easy.  With @DropcheckCart Extender you can pretty much stick the port anywhere you want.  I'd mill a top cover to deal with the cart adapter, hide the cable and cover the original buttons and make it all look original like.  Job done! Pizza Box.  Also if one wanted I think you can relocate the buttons to the XEGS keyboard.

Atari-XE-Keyboard-004.JPG

source  - http://www.the-liberator.net/site-files/retro-games/hardware/Atari-XE/atari-xe-keyboard.htm

Edited by Bee
  • Like 1

I go XEGS.  Detachable keyboard so you can just keep it as a game machine if you want.  Cart port is more convenient on the top.  I however think both machines pale in comparison to the XL line.  The 800 XL being the epitome of the 8 bits for me.  I love that machine.