IGNORED

Another Hijacked Jaguar Thread

Thunderbird

Glad you like the artwork!  It was a blast to put together... :D  

I too need to get a Jagfree cart...

Cheers,

Ben

What's that? Some kind of cart that runs Jaguar games without a Jaguar? Why do I need that when I already have several Jaguars?

As you know very well, he's talking about JagFreeCD, your competetion, the bypass code used on Protector SE and I believe the B&C Bypass cart.

What makes you ask such dumb questions?

As you know very well, he's talking about JagFreeCD, your competetion, the bypass code used on Protector SE and I believe the B&C Bypass cart.  

Now I'm really confused. I realize that once BattleSphere Gold™ hit the streets that everyone wanted to jump onto the CD Bypass bandwagon and come up with a knockoff of the JUGS DD™ CD Bypass included FREE in every copy of BattleSphere Gold™. I know for a fact that Glenn Bruner designed the CD Bypass cart for B&C. It has his name right on the label. What I didn't realize is that Glenn also wrote the bypass for Protector SE as well. Glenn is very cool and has a great deal of Jaguar knowledge. From discussions he and I have had, I know he designed the B&C bypass cart using a technique that replicates what was done in BattleSphere Gold™. I didn't realize that his idea was being used elsewhere as well. I never saw him get any credit for this. That's a shame.

What you still haven't explained is what this confusing nomenclature is supposed to mean. It sounds almost as if someone made up a weird name for a CD bypass to confuse everyone or trick them into buying something they already had. A clever marketing ploy, but probably unnecessary in the Jaguar community.

The strange and totally baffling thing about this bizarre nomenclature is that the last time anyone ever mentioned this "jagfree" thing, I was under the impression it was the name of that risky EEPROM storage system that the underground was resigned to using because they didn't really care if it messed up and erased their whole array of every saved game on the whole cart.

By they way, what's "competetion"? Did you make that word up too?

Only the need to dumb everything down to your level so you can understand what I am saying.

I know for a fact that Glenn Bruner designed the CD Bypass cart for B&C. It has his name right on the label. What I didn't realize is that Glenn also wrote the bypass for Protector SE as well. Glenn is very cool and has a great deal of Jaguar knowledge. From discussions he and I have had, I know he designed the B&C bypass cart using a technique that replicates what was done in BattleSphere Gold™. I didn't realize that his idea was being used elsewhere as well. I never saw him get any credit for this. That's a shame.  

You need to get new facts, because two of them you listed here are not accurate.

JagMod

Only the need to dumb everything down to your level so you can understand what I am saying.

Please guys, we all know you love each other, but let's keep public displays of affection like this private. Thanks.

..Al

Jagfree is not the most meaningful name for a CD Encryption Bypass Cart, maybe JagCdEncFree would be more meaningful. What's important is that people need to be aware why there is a need for a CD Encryption Bypass in the first place and that there are 3 available products that include the CD Encryption Bypass facility.

A CD Encryption Bypass is required to load any unencrypted CD's that exist for the Jaguar. Painter is one such example of an unencrypted CD.

Current Jaguar developers do not have access to the private key that is required to generate CD's that can play in a stock Jaguar CD player. I guess in time, someone might find this key, just like the Universal Encryption header that was discovered for Jaguar Carts. For the meantime, a CD Encryption Bypass uses similar code to that of the Jaguar CD player, but without the encryption check to boot CD's.

The 3 products that exist with CD Encryption Bypass facilities are:-

B&C Bypass Cart ( http://www.myatari.com )

Protector SE from Songbird Productions ( http://www.songbird-productions.com )

Battlesphere Gold ( http://www.scatologic.com )

Regards,

Gordon Gibson

I think its funny that the best known Jaguar developer is cracking jokes and talking smack :D I think Thunderbird is a pretty cool guy, but man answer my emails!! ;)  

-Mike

I sent you email on Friday. Have you not received it? Please send me something else so I can verify your email address. Thanks.

You need to get new facts, because two of them you listed here are not accurate.

JagMod

You need to get new reading comprehension skills. Everything I said is beyond refute.

1. I know for a fact that Glenn Bruner designed the CD Bypass cart for B&C.

Fact. He told me so.

2. It has his name right on the label.

Fact. I'm looking at one right now.

3. What I didn't realize is that Glenn also wrote the bypass for Protector SE as well.

Speculation. Tyrant implies this in his previous message.

4. Glenn is very cool and has a great deal of Jaguar knowledge.

Fact. You can call this an "opinion" if you like, but if you disagree with this you should not be allowed to own a jaguar.

5. From discussions he and I have had, I know he designed the B&C bypass cart using a technique that replicates what was done in BattleSphere Gold™.

Fact. I have the email discussion on my computer.

6. I didn't realize that his idea was being used elsewhere as well.

Fact. I have never known his work was used elsewhere.

7. I never saw him get any credit for this.

Fact. I have never seen him given credit.

8. That's a shame.

Fact. (see #4 above)

Jagfree is not the most meaningful name for a CD Encryption Bypass Cart, maybe JagCdEncFree would be more meaningful."

I disagree. It means about as little as "JUGS-DD", which is the tradename of the first CD bypass system ever created. It is a cool name and all that, but I'm not so enamored with the name that I go around referring to the whole concept used in any context as such.

What's important is that people need to be aware why there is a need for a CD Encryption Bypass in the first place and that there are 3 available products that include the CD Encryption Bypass facility."

So, why not call it a "CD Bypass" and avoid all the confusion?

As a developer I have to answer questions from confused CD customers all the time because the terminology being used seems purposely vague and ambiguous and some have said "misleading".

As the originator of the Bypass Cart concept, I think I should have some say in the matter.

As the originator of the Bypass Cart concept, I think I should have some say in the matter

I dont understand this, I mean, I say Motherfucker®© when I am angry, but the first person to ever say Motherfucker®© when they were angry never calls me up and says hey Motherfucker®©, you are not using the term Motherfucker®© correctly.

As the originator of the Bypass Cart concept, I think I should have some say in the matter.

Your cart may have been the first to market, but there were solutions around long before that.

Give it a rest already.

Your cart may have been the first to market, but there were solutions around long before that.

Don't be silly. The idea of writing a program that allows unencrypted CDs to run originated back at Atari for Jaguar developers. I got a copy straight from Atari back in 1995 and thought the way it got around the encryption would be a great way to circumvent their CD encryption if placed on a cart. You and your "solutions" probably didn't even own a JagCD at the time I was trading protos with other developers and playtesting them and dreaming of the possibilies of this technique...