IGNORED

AA logo code?

batari

Although some AA games boot to a splash screen showing the AA logo accompanied by the "Have you played Atari today?" tune, I can't seem to find any publicly-available source code for such a splash screen. Instead of reinventing this myself, can anyone point me toward some code for this that can be used in other projects?

• Like 1

Thanks, I just looked at that. The logo looks great! The jingle isn't there (at least on the version I have), but it's not that it's hard to create that part of it. Though if there is a version with both, all the better.

Here's a version of the jingle made by @mvo used in Space Game - data in bB format in (AUDCx, AUDFx, AUDVx, length) format. You are welcome to use it if you like this version.  The final Space Game ROM with the jingle incorporated is here if you want to listen to it:

data splash_screen
end

data splash_screen2
end

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kisrael said:

Just to weasel in a plug (and thanks) @Karl G let me use his bB logo kernel for a mode of https://alienbill.com/2600/atari-background-builder/ - so if you want any title screen, you can build an image there (or even import a graphic!) 

The AtariAge logo splash is a bit of a special case though because of the two different colors it displays. It requires a bit more advanced trickery than the standard 48-pixel kernel trick.

SpaceGame-Final-NTSC_1.thumb.png.35979fb4c89e5d57d173c414deed3c00.png

15 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

This needed some work to make it function out of its original context, but I think I got it working. Looks like the memory requirements are about 1k. Here is a standalone version of the logo with assembly modified to compile as a 4k bin.

aalogo.zip

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

Here is a version I made, and gave some updates to today:

AtariLogo3.thumb.png.aea71046722cafd7b11bdcb1c2965b0c.png

AtariLogo3.zip 8.71 kB · 5 downloads

This version is a little restrictive with the kernel placement, but extremely economical for byte savings. There are a few tricks used for sure but that's part of the fun.

Definitely it's smaller in size, looks like under 512 bytes total?

7 hours ago, batari said:

Definitely it's smaller in size, looks like under 512 bytes total?

Yes, very easily. The rom is only using 383 bytes, and that is everything (Startup, Vblank, Overscan, etc...)

I now see the other AA logo Andrew posted and realized I had optimized that as well for use in one my unreleased games. I think I got the logo from one of the trackball hacks or maybe I reversed it (don't remember now, it was a few years ago). Anyhow I will see about ripping it out of my game and posting soon.

Here is the code:

AtariLogo4.zip

AtariLogo4.thumb.png.f3229b375940676c21bc0ddc01dc8bdd.png

I think the main thing I did was to reflect P1 so that some of the data tables could be re-used, and after that there was just some byte savings here and there. I'm sure that there could always be more byte savings found.

This is just a demo, and when the timer runs out or the firebutton is pressed it executes BRK. The code to properly handle the screen transistion is not in there so the game will probably bounce on the TV screen and just repeat it's jingle. You can easily adapt the code to your game by building a BRK routine to go to another bank and so on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

I now see the other AA logo Andrew posted and realized I had optimized that as well for use in one my unreleased games. I think I got the logo from one of the trackball hacks or maybe I reversed it (don't remember now, it was a few years ago). 

I totally forgot about the origin of this logo. Does anyone remember?

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I totally forgot about the origin of this logo. Does anyone remember?

Memory is a tricky thing. I'll tell you what I "remember" but this will be unreliable at best. Partially supported, though, by the logs on the forum of our conversation regarding BD development. In particular, you wrote you still had "no idea" how to do the two colour text in the AA logo. I believe you and I worked on it and you did all the magic. I do recall lots of pedantic perfectionist tweaking on the actual pixels which were drawn - in particular I distinctly remember working on the gap/pixels between the "AA". That's what I'd testify to in a court of law. Beyond that, I couldn't say.  But I think the log does support the idea that we may have developed it for BD. Certainly, the two-colour stuff was something we discussed.