IGNORED

A-VCS-tec Challenge Preview @ CGE 2003

Simon

Hi,

did somebody check out "A-VCS-tec Challenge" at last weekend's CGE?

It was playable as prototype at the Packrat VideoGames booth. A few pictures can be watched here: http://www.packratvg.com/cge2k3.htm

I know that at least Paul Norman, author and musician of the original C=64 game Aztec Challange, enjoyed playing the 2600 version at the expo... :-)

I wish I would've been there to talk to him myself.

Best regards,

Simon

That'll be because I pointed the game out to him ;)

I just happened to catch him Saturday morning in the show after speaking at length on Friday night, said hi, introduced him to my other half and then I had to quickly dash somewhere. Not before spotting that the game was up and demoing and having mentioned the night before a remake was being done, thought he could go over and try it out :D

Glad to hear he liked it!

I got both my Forbidden Forest games signed by him so I'm very happy as I am a big fan of his work...

Hi Rick,

the preview shown at the CGE show uses some switches which might not been demonstrated at the show, even if I told Packrat about them.

Color/BW-Switch toggles between in-game-music or spear-sounds

Left Difficulty Switch toggles between THE GAUNTLET (running) levels only or THE GAUNTLET (running) and THE STAIRS (climbing) levels after each other.

By now you can fully play and clear the different rounds of THE GAUNTLET, but THE STAIRS is unsolvable right now.

So if you would've played THE GAUNTLET levels only, you would've seen at least 10 totally different screens with different pyramids, graphic sets and difficulties. :-)

The levels of the final version will be longer of course, their shortness is just for the purpose of faster testing.

Best regards,

Simon

@Simon - Will 'Challenge feature a PAL/NTSC switch like MK?

Unfortunately not. The main problems concerning the PAL/NTSC-switchability are these two facts:

- you need double the space for all color tables (one table for PAL-values, the other for NTSC).

- you need more cycles (and bytes) in every display-routine to check if either the PAL or NTSC-table is to be used.

The best way would be to store the relevant colors in RAM and use always the same addresses in the display-routine, but this would lead to the new problem of having too less memory available. ;)

Mental Kombat didn't use as many code and graphics as A-VCS-tec Challange, so implementing a PAL/NTSC-switchability wasn't too hard. I still hope that you'll enjoy the game - PAL and NTSC versions are going to be released seperately.

Best regards,

Simon