IGNORED

Anyone interested in the 5200 STARCON controller?

MrRetroGamer

Tempest,

You are going to hot-glue the wood pieces in and then hot-glue the acrylic to the wood? Will you use any screws?  If anyone has hot-glued the wood pieces, how did it turn out and are they strongly secured?

Take care,

RG

I already used the woodblocks in other projects. I was planning to glue some threaded piping to the sides sticking up so the threads are visible when looking underneath the controller, then fastening the base on using flat tip standard screws, and finally add some extra rubber boots I have leftover from a broken WICO bat controller.

I already used the woodblocks in other projects.  I was planning to glue some threaded piping to the sides sticking up so the threads are visible when looking underneath the controller, then fastening the base on using flat tip standard screws, and finally add some extra rubber boots I have leftover from a broken WICO bat controller.

Ghetto Starcon! :P

You used the blocks on something else! :o

I thought it was nice he send the original blocks, including the 3 pieces over the keypad. I didn't even realize they were in the box, until I was reading it, and saw he said he was including what he had left.

And you're gonna use piping? pvc maybe? This will be your supports then? Are you putting end caps on them to screw into or is it only supported from the sides?

You used the blocks on something else! :o

I needed some scrap wood for a home improvement project and three of those pieces worked perfectly and saved me some time in that I didn't need to cut a few pieces off a larger piece.

I thought it was nice he send the original blocks, including the 3 pieces over the keypad. I didn't even realize they were in the box, until I was reading it, and saw he said he was including what he had left.  

And you're gonna use piping? pvc maybe? This will be your supports then?  Are you putting end caps on them to screw into or is it only supported from the sides?

It was nice of him to send the blocks and a how-to. The piping I'm using is an extremely thin brass piping that is only 1/8" in diameter. I'll basically cut the piping into strips that will rest in the inside of the top portion against the sides of the controller and drill holes through the base (not the top) so I can screw the screws through the holes into the threaded piping. It is basically the same concept as the plastic threaded holes that exist in most older molded electronics bases that allow for attachment of a base to a top piece. If and when I get around to it, I'll post some pics here. :D

Mr. Retrogamer  

Tempest  

Crossbow  

Sku-u  

Rob Mitchell (2)  

McGrail  

Lee K.  

Me  

???  

Were there thus 9 in total? I think he said that he had about half a dozen extras and then three of his own so that it about right.  

Since you are keeping track....

I bought two. One for me and one for a friend.

-Lee

Got my two shells today .. Now tomorrow I'm gonna go to the electronics store and get the circuit parts! I got some scrap plywood from a building project around the corner .. so I'm set to build some Starcon Controllers! I guess I'll cannabalize the cables from two broken 5200 controllers.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Got my two controller shells today .. What a nice piece of work!

Tomorrow I'm gonna go to the electronics store and get the circuit parts! I got some scrap plywood from a building project around the corner .. so I'm set to build some Starcon Controllers! I guess I'll cannabalize the cables from two broken 5200 controllers.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA