IGNORED

I build a Modern Atari XL computer

gespy

For many years I have an Atari 600XL top case lying around. Always had the idea to do something with it. Now I have finally used it to build a new Atari XL computer based on a Raspberry Pi. On the Raspberry Pi, runs the Atari800 emulator and the original 600XL keyboard is fully functional.

I have made a video, showing how I build this.

Edited by gespy
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, vitoco said:

Cool! I was surprised with the bottom half of the case.

How long this project took?  There were too many t-shirts...

Where did you set the "Alt" key for the Pi?

This project took a couple of weeks, working a few hours per week on it.

I did not mapped the 'Alt' key to a keyboard key. I didn't realy needed it for the Atari800 emulator. It is only used for shortkeys to menu items.

I had to to remap a number of keys in Linux. The characters you get when you press a key in combination with shift, is different for many keys on an Atari keyboard.

32 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Personally, I'd hate to use an old machine in this way if the original machine were still good or could be repaired. That being said, it was a really interesting video and you did a great job with it.

Good work!

Keep in mind that he only had a fraction of the original machine to work with. It wasn't like he took a complete XL and tore out its guts to remake it with a Pi inside. However what he did have (the original XL keyboard) was repurposed in such a way that it was relatively unharmed. The only noticeable alteration was the hole in the top of the case, which he had done much earlier, and was able to repurpose for the added function key.

In the end, I was very impressed with the outcome of this project, and very impressed with the custom case bottom he fabricated ?

• Like 6

Agree with mytek. BITD, he used this top part of the case as a "remote" keyboard with a meters long flat cable. I was very impressed how he sort of folded a new bottom for it :) (out of alumin(i)um)?

Only one thing, it's not Python code, but C. And you could have removed the black/brown part of the top half, before spraypainting, without having to mask it with tape. If you carefully heat the badge, you can even remove that with a precision knife.

But all in all, nice project! ?

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mytek said:

Keep in mind that he only had a fraction of the original machine to work with. It wasn't like he took a complete XL and tore out its guts to remake it with a Pi inside. However what he did have (the original XL keyboard) was repurposed in such a way that it was relatively unharmed. The only noticeable alteration was the hole in the top of the case, which he had done much earlier, and was able to repurpose for the added function key.

In the end, I was very impressed with the outcome of this project, and very impressed with the custom case bottom he fabricated ?

Yes, I agree. I meant to mention the bottom. I'm always impressed with fabrication work like that.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 4:25 PM, bfollowell said:

Personally, I'd hate to use an old machine in this way if the original machine were still good or could be repaired. That being said, it was a really interesting video and you did a great job with it.

Good work!

I also think that is terrible. But I only had the top of a Atari case, which otherwise you cannot do much with it. I definitely don't want to encourage people to demolish a complete Atari, to build a Raspberry Pi into it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gespy said:

I definitely don't want to encourage people to demolish a complete Atari, to build a Raspberry Pi into it.

I would, and I steal chips out of them all the time to make my recreations in a different form factor (am I kidding? ;-) ). And I repurpose 1050 cases for 1088XLDs. Yes I'm that guy :spidey:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5