IGNORED

Don't laugh!: Anybody ever play with TRS-80 stuff?

MichaelJMcKernan

I had an original TRS-80 color Computer as my first computer. It was pretty heavily modded too (replaced the keyboard and set it up with 64k worth of piggybacked ram chips.) I learned to program in BASIC on that thing. :)

Sadly, it went to the Veterans some years ago along with a ton of carts and games on tape and disk. :(

Why would I laugh? Man, I LOVED my Color Computer 3, I programmed so many BASIC games on that thing it's not even funny. I have scads of tapes with my programs on them, but alas, I sold the CC3 some years back (something I STILL regret, dammit!). I'll save the tapes, though, since I'm now major into collecting, I plan on getting another one someday.

How easy is it to get ahold of games nowadays for it? I recently saw a CoCo in a thrift store for $20, but it didn't come with a power supply so I didn't bother. I instead spent the $20 on a Game Gear in a case with 7 games. But the CoCo will undoubtedly still be there when I go back. How hard is it to find a power supply?

I totally dug the CoCo III ... it was a big step forward from the I and II. Had lots of fun games, though most were on other systems. A Mazing World Of Malcolm Mortar got lotsa play!

The only thing about the CoCo III I found though - was that they had a habit of frying. I've had three different systems and at various points, each one up and died one day when I hit the power button. :(

I recently bought my first trs80 color computer 2.

I only have 3 cartridges that I bought on Ebay and have yet to arrive.

Color Baseball, Football, and Crazy Climber...

Any recommendations for games for the Trash80?

Not by me. All I have is Color Baseball, myself.

Anybody else collect these?

Yes. I own a CoCo3. Unfortunately, outside of eBay, the games seem difficult to find. :(

Hello? Hello? {echo}

The number you have dialed is not in service. Please hang up and dial again. :)

They have some cool games, although a lot of them are pretty crappy too. The Spectrum Analyzer cart is really cool -- you can plug an audio output into the computer and it'll display really old skool looking color patterns based on the sound.

Only thing that totally sucks about those computers is the lack of a sound chip.

I see Coco 2's all the time, and sometimes 3's. I have a Coco 1 but it's the only one I've seen. I like playing Thexder on my 3.

-Paul

I have a Dragon 32 (I actually have 2) which is the same as the Co-Co and that does have a melody chip which sounds damn fine.

I have quite a few games for mine and recommend

The King (Sometimes called Donkey King)

Cashman (great 2 player game)

Manic Miner

Jet Set Willy

Chuckie Egg

Beserk

Buzzard Bait

These are my favourites but all are Cassette based except Beserk.

How easy is it to get ahold of games nowadays for it? I recently saw a CoCo in a thrift store for $20, but it didn't come with a power supply so I didn't bother. [...] How hard is it to find a power supply?

Um, the power supply is inside the machine; there is just a standard grounded power cord. You may be able to splice in a replacement cord if the original is gone.

Coco joysticks are the only accessories I ever see in thrift shops. I don't remember seeing any games ("Program Paks") in recent years.

My Coco I was my very first computer. I paid about Cdn$550 in June 1982 -- that included the joysticks and one game. I received the cassette deck for my birthday that November. I had like 20 cartridges and hundreds of games on tape. The disk drive cost over Cdn$500 so I never got it.

I just grabbed 6 TRS80 carts off of ebay!

Super Pitfall

A Mazeing World of Malcolm Mordar

Robocop

Rampage {Smash and trash}

Springster

and

Downland

What can I expect from these games...are the graphics as good as Colecovision? Nintendo 64 :roll: ?

Honestly, I know nothing about the TRS-80....I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Coco 1&2 games kinda look like Apple II graphics. Decent resolution, but the color is terrible. Sometimes they also remind me of Intellivision.

Coco 3 games are comparable to VGA graphics.

I think a few of those games you got will only work on a Coco 3.

Check out this site:

http://nitros9.stg.net/coco_game_list.html

-Paul

A TRS 80, the original b/w version mind you, was the first computer I ever touched and wrote a program for. We had one in our primary school gifted program. My meager program was a variation of that old "termites" exercise. I had a school that dissolved.

Then I got into the Atari 800 while a freind of mine obtained a color TRS 80. We logged a lot of hours playing a D&D type game on his PC. The only other game i remember is a Space Invaders imitation which was no less accurate than the Atari version.

My sister just called me and said she had an old computer she wanted to get rid of. It just happened to be a COCO3!!! Complete with joysticks, disc driver, cassette recorder, and a ton of GAMES!!! So, she's coming in from Cali in a few weeks and she's going to deliver it to me!

It's weird how people are willing to part with all this GOOD JUNK, I think I've gotten more stuff for free lately than anything. :D

Free is definitely easy on the wallet.