IGNORED

Black screen in my atari xe65

somacast

hi,

I boughg an Atari 65xe from someone who claimed its working but it wasn't, its giving black screen all the time

opened it apart and its fairly clean, removed randomly 2 or 3 caps tested,they have low esr despite the usual old caps behavior  with higher capacitance than rated.

tried booting up with options depresed,no use , no beeps..

now the funny part is ... when i tried moving the keyboard while computer is on, the screen flickered and gave some colors and few letters

tried that again never happened again 

also noticed that pressing reset while computer is switched off , gives black screen on !!!! again   switch is off !!

removed the keyboard totally, and i noticed it turns on and off while switch is off !!!

can't visually see any short circuits 

also i kept my finger while computer is switched on on the n.p. caps , when i do so and press any buttons in keyboard i hear noisy beep in tv !!

whats going on here please?  thnx

31 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

Are there cracked solder joints around the power switch area or elsewhere?  Post clear closeup photos of the motherboard please.

thnx , here are the photos 

https://ibb.co/fXW3yy5 https://ibb.co/bNK8Zkt https://ibb.co/WWQbJYC https://ibb.co/Hxrxtdp https://ibb.co/ysdPD03 https://ibb.co/16f9mpb https://ibb.co/BsMjxfx https://ibb.co/XpTP8pw

in fact its close to new condition motherboard no cracks not even rust, if i show you some of my commodore or msx you would call this brand new.. 

If stored reasonably well, many Atari's still look brand new inside.  Do you have a local shop that can repair it?  I suggest that firstly.  If not, then try some contact cleaner in the power switch. It looks a little dirty or rusty..?  With power unplugged to the 65XE, operate the switch back and forth with the contact clear in there to help clean it.

Do you have anti-static brushes designed for electronics? Give the board a good clean with them with a good quality IPA.

If all that fails, contact from whomever you bought it for a return.

• Thanks 1

Interesting...  From the photos, the motherboard identifies it as a 65XEN, which were the Arabic-language models sold in Saudi Arabia and Egypt by Najm.  @somacast, I'm sharing your images here to make it easier for people to see them - I know that your post count won't let you do that yet ;-)

najm01.thumb.jpg.11a869ab6861213e0497fd014c9f457b.jpg

najm02.thumb.jpg.38385fb2d2772822651a80fb964bd0c1.jpg

najm03.thumb.jpg.52e772e992d47163ddc689af306c9770.jpg

najm04.thumb.jpg.d1c6ed6ac54e418f57ac1718eae5447a.jpg

najm05.thumb.jpg.c947e9a516e9e2327303e09cfcdb8a06.jpg

najm06.thumb.jpg.3df9ee5398ab0de4a173d0a8af19289a.jpg

najm07.thumb.jpg.6e83cff85947587ac0149b65d5aae7db.jpg

najm08.thumb.jpg.172c490a9a95ba9fa847f6b662624318.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

If stored reasonably well, many Atari's still look brand new inside.  Do you have a local shop that can repair it?  I suggest that firstly.  If not, then try some contact cleaner in the power switch. It looks a little dirty or rusty..?  With power unplugged to the 65XE, operate the switch back and forth with the contact clear in there to help clean it.

Do you have anti-static brushes designed for electronics? Give the board a good clean with them with a good quality IPA.

If all that fails, contact from whomever you bought it for a return.

I am good with electronics, its my hobby for the past 25 years, the switch legs are corroded but it works, i will give it a good contact cleaner or even replace it, but again, how will that a bad switch which is partially connected in off position contribute to black screen?? thnx 

8 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

That power switch looks well corroded, and possibly rust between 2 of the pads, they need cleaning and maybe reflow with fresh solder.

If you have some contact cleaner, that switch looks like it needs a good cleaning too

thnx , same answer above 

6 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Interesting...  From the photos, the motherboard identifies it as a 65XEN, which were the Arabic-language models sold in Saudi Arabia and Egypt by Najm.  @somacast, I'm sharing your images here to make it easier for people to see them - I know that your post count won't let you do that yet ;-)

najm01.thumb.jpg.11a869ab6861213e0497fd014c9f457b.jpg

najm02.thumb.jpg.38385fb2d2772822651a80fb964bd0c1.jpg

najm03.thumb.jpg.52e772e992d47163ddc689af306c9770.jpg

najm04.thumb.jpg.d1c6ed6ac54e418f57ac1718eae5447a.jpg

najm05.thumb.jpg.c947e9a516e9e2327303e09cfcdb8a06.jpg

najm06.thumb.jpg.3df9ee5398ab0de4a173d0a8af19289a.jpg

najm07.thumb.jpg.6e83cff85947587ac0149b65d5aae7db.jpg

najm08.thumb.jpg.172c490a9a95ba9fa847f6b662624318.jpg

many thanks for uploading, yes I am from Bahrain and its atari Najm 65xe, bought from a cheater on instagram who calls everything (well tested and all buttons works), i grew up a commodore person, however did and maybe still do own an 800xl , it looked nice

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

That power switch looks well corroded, and possibly rust between 2 of the pads, they need cleaning and maybe reflow with fresh solder.

If you have some contact cleaner, that switch looks like it needs a good cleaning too

There is also what appears to be damage (corrosion, missing pad, etc.) on the underside of the board.

najm-underside-highlighted.thumb.png.caf0ab702cc7bc83e9c9ca15e142de73.png

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Hey now, hey now now, sing show this corrosion to me

(The Sisters of Mercy - This Corrosion)

Funnily enough, that started going through my head as well while I was looking at the photos :-D

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

There is also what appears to be damage (corrosion, missing pad, etc.) on the underside of the board.

najm-underside-highlighted.thumb.png.caf0ab702cc7bc83e9c9ca15e142de73.png

well , most of them were not corrosion, it was stain of old flux from factory, only corrosion was in the mid oval circle and removed old solder, cleaned and resoldered, same black screen

now i was wondering if this was done at factory, i mean looks like a non completed trace, intentionally maybe ? anyone has a photo to share of bottom side of a 65xe ?

https://ibb.co/LpKb0VL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, somacast said:

well , most of them were not corrosion, it was stain of old flux from factory, only corrosion was in the mid oval circle and removed old solder, cleaned and resoldered, same black screen

Well, at least you now know :-D  Definitely check into cleaning the power switch, though.  BTW: what are you measuring at the power supply's output end?

You may want to take a look at these search results - it appears as though other people have run into similar issues in the past with their Najm XEs, so there may be something useful in there.

Good luck with figuring it out - these are one of the machines I'd like to eventually add to the collection because they're so unique, but that will have to wait until everything else is fixed first.  It's good to know that one more may be about to be saved.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Well, at least you now know :-D  Definitely check into cleaning the power switch, though.  BTW: what are you measuring at the power supply's output end?

You may want to take a look at these search results - it appears as though other people have run into similar issues in the past with their Najm XEs, so there may be something useful in there.

Good luck with figuring it out - these are one of the machines I'd like to eventually add to the collection because they're so unique, but that will have to wait until everything else is fixed first.  It's good to know that one more may be about to be saved.

thanks for your efforts, well the switch is clean and fine now so its out of checklist 

voltage is 5.1 volts , which is good

i will see the older topics, thnx again

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sugarland said:

You need to socket many of the chips and swap them into a known-working computer. You still have your 800XL? It's risky putting good chips into a non-working computer. I would start with the CPU, then GTIA.

ok good idea , i ordered a kit of sockets, regarding the cpu i remember seeing a YouTube video saying that its written part# on it is wrong, any known significant part number to search for? just in case . thnx

On 5/19/2021 at 11:53 PM, Mathy said:

Maybe we need @tf_hh to have a look at this.

Sorry, wasn´t online some days here.

Interesting find with the "gap" in the power trace, but it seems to be standard for this board revision:

65XEN_1.thumb.jpg.903e14c30ff94c33af16c10402ee6d1f.jpg65XEN_2.thumb.jpg.2080ffb6d476d02be403ac737e238f68.jpg

This is the same 65XEN mainboard and it also have this gap. I checked it against the schematics and reason is the seperation of +5V from standard to the 4050 buffer and video amp stage. There´s a coil between to filter the 5 volts. I´m pretty sure the developer saw the wrong routing after the final production mask was made and scratch these gap by hand from the mask.

However, IMHO the first problem is the power switch itself regarding your posts here. I´ve often have had bad power switches. So exchange them first or solder for test a permanent bridge and plug/unplug the power. Now the black screen behaviour should be constant. The board you have is a PAL mainboard with PAL chips on it. You didn´t set your location in your profile, so if you´re living in NTSC areas, a black screen is normal. More typical is a red/brownish screen (PAL) or greenish (NTSC) when the computer has memory failures. Black scren - when T.V. norm is capatible - is more something around bad CPU, bad ROM, bad DRAM logic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, tf_hh said:

Sorry, wasn´t online some days here.

Interesting find with the "gap" in the power trace, but it seems to be standard for this board revision:

65XEN_1.thumb.jpg.903e14c30ff94c33af16c10402ee6d1f.jpg65XEN_2.thumb.jpg.2080ffb6d476d02be403ac737e238f68.jpg

This is the same 65XEN mainboard and it also have this gap. I checked it against the schematics and reason is the seperation of +5V from standard to the 4050 buffer and video amp stage. There´s a coil between to filter the 5 volts. I´m pretty sure the developer saw the wrong routing after the final production mask was made and scratch these gap by hand from the mask.

However, IMHO the first problem is the power switch itself regarding your posts here. I´ve often have had bad power switches. So exchange them first or solder for test a permanent bridge and plug/unplug the power. Now the black screen behaviour should be constant. The board you have is a PAL mainboard with PAL chips on it. You didn´t set your location in your profile, so if you´re living in NTSC areas, a black screen is normal. More typical is a red/brownish screen (PAL) or greenish (NTSC) when the computer has memory failures. Black scren - when T.V. norm is capatible - is more something around bad CPU, bad ROM, bad DRAM logic.

thank you very much, very helpful 

sorry Don't usually fill all info in forums profiles, iam in a Pal region , Bahrain 

but great info regarding the trace, and possible bad ics as well

thnx

• Like 1