IGNORED

A silly little project

mzxrules

Just now, Al_Nafuur said:

👍

Just when I finished building myself. I still need an emulator on my traveling MacBook. How do I install gopher2600 on MacOS?

I can't build binaries for the Mac unfortunately so I don't distribute binaries on the github page. Both @Andrew Davie and @SpiceWare can build binaries for the Mac though. Hopefully, they will see this and share their builds.

3 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

I can't build binaries for the Mac unfortunately so I don't distribute binaries on the github page.

you might want to add gopher2600 to Homebrew, so the it can be easily installed/updated via brew.

https://docs.brew.sh/Adding-Software-to-Homebrew

Just now, Al_Nafuur said:

you might want to add gopher2600 to Homebrew, so the it can be easily installed/updated via brew.

https://docs.brew.sh/Adding-Software-to-Homebrew

Hmm. That might be a good idea. I was going to wait until v1.0.0 is released before doing that kind of thing. The other option is to get github to build the binary with a github "action" but I've never investigated it fully.

• Like 1

I was able to build with:

git clone https://github.com/JetSetIlly/Gopher2600.git
cd Gopher2600
brew install go
brew install pkg-config
brew install sdl2
brew install freetype2
make release

@JetSetIlly are there any other package dependencies?

Gopher2600 seems to work fine on my MacBook now, but the Zelda binaries I have build don't work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

I was able to build with:

git clone https://github.com/JetSetIlly/Gopher2600.git
cd Gopher2600
brew install go
brew install pkg-config
brew install sdl2
brew install freetype2
make release

@JetSetIlly are there any other package dependencies?

Gopher2600 seems to work fine on my MacBook now, but the Zelda binaries I have build don't work.

I'll implement a better fix but for now, you can comment out lines 61-63 in the file hardware/memory/cartridge/mapper_3eplus.go

if len(data)%cart.bankSize != 0 {
		return nil, fmt.Errorf("3E+: wrong number of bytes in the cartridge file")
	}

That seems to work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetSetIlly said:

I'll implement a better fix but for now, you can comment out lines 61-63 in the file hardware/memory/cartridge/mapper_3eplus.go

if len(data)%cart.bankSize != 0 {
		return nil, fmt.Errorf("3E+: wrong number of bytes in the cartridge file")
	}

That seems to work.

yes, your workaround worked here too.

6 hours ago, JetSetIlly said:

The other option is to get github to build the binary with a github "action" but I've never investigated it fully.

I'm not familiar with actions but I know Duckstation uses them to build releases for multiple systems. The Universal(ARM/x86) releases for Mac are unsupported because they don't have any Mac hardware. Don't know if action configurations can be viewed by anyone, but if so it might be a starting point.

I run Duckstation on the Mac mini that's hooked up to my 4K TV, it's the only PS1 emulator I'm aware of that will render the games at higher resolutions on a Mac.  I've posted about it here, it's amazing how much detail can be extracted from PS1 games that we only saw rendered at 240p back in the day.

1879056952_ScreenShot2021-01-10at9_30_23

Thanks for the working bin to try.  I'm enjoying the demo!  This will unabashedly sound n00bish but I really like the use of both mirrored/reflected and updated playfields to make the terrain with added ball/player sprites on occasion to spice things up.  I know that uses up alot of CPU cycles from Spiceware's blog so it's nice to see it in action here as well.

Edited by LatchKeyKid

• 4 weeks later...

the game isn't really in any state to be released as a playable demo at the moment, which is why I haven't posted a public binary of it on this thread. I am interested thought to see if/how it works on real hardware.

The bow cannot be obtained because I hadn't gotten around to implementing appropriate behavior for the room where you'd normally obtain it.

The boomerang has not been implemented either, but that's more because I'm not sure that it makes sense to implement one due to limit of being only able to use one item at a time.

Edited by mzxrules
  • Like 3

On 4/19/2023 at 11:59 PM, mzxrules said:

the game isn't really in any state to be released as a playable demo at the moment, which is why I haven't posted a public binary of it on this thread. I am interested thought to see if/how it works on real hardware.

The bow cannot be obtained because I hadn't gotten around to implementing appropriate behavior for the room where you'd normally obtain it.

The boomerang has not been implemented either, but that's more because I'm not sure that it makes sense to implement one due to limit of being only able to use one item at a time.

If you are using player 2 controller button for pause anyway, why not use joystick position as functions?

1 hour ago, Yurkie said:

If there is anyone that has some good controller ideas please?

From what I read, the controller input has two extra functions that can be used for additional buttons but "borrowing" the paddle function inputs.  The genesis controller gets a second button because it uses one of those inputs and I think another controller (the CBS booster grip add on) had two additional buttons.   I suppose you could instead map the pause and second item (less used) to the console difficulty switches instead if they're not being used.

8 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

Is it possible to use the joystick for the player and on the second port use the little keyboard/keypad controller? 

Then you'd have all kinds of buttons for functions. 

Great idea, would this work?

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing The Legend of Zelda on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

UPDATE! The time has changed to 6PM PT and has been updated in the post as unfortunately Darcy is feeling under the weather and can't make it for an early show. See you tonight!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing The Legend of Zelda on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

1150365600_20230428-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.b998fe0ae59f6d58669289ebee90b9b0.jpg

Cool!  Will it be the build linked earlier in the thread or has a newer one come out that you have access to?  Regardless, it'll be cool to see.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 1:53 AM, Al_Nafuur said:

@Prizrak I was able to build the bin files. I have uploaded them to the PlusStore /Public ROMs/WIP/R-Z/ZA2600

Has anyone been able to get it to run on the PlusCart through the PlusStore? When I try to run it, it gives me the error 'Unknown/invalid ROM', same thing when I try to run it from the UnoCart.

The .bin runs correctly in Stella 6.7 and reports the bankswitching as 3E+, but I know that Stella is more forgiving than real hardware. The first screen rolls one time in Developer mode when you start, but doesn't prevent playing the game,

- James

image.thumb.png.6fe376b36524302e6452df1ae86a01be.png