IGNORED

MIDI Keyboard ?

I have a Casio LK-55 that I no longer use.  It's 61-Key.   It has a lighted key feature to help beginners, but that can be turned off if it's annoying.   Has MIDI IN/OUT

PM me if interested.   I won't ask much for it,  but I'd need to figure out shipping.

There are videos online so you can see what it sounds like.   I think it sounds pretty good

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

With all the alternative hardware that we can use today with our Sts(vga monitors, mouse adapters, floppy drives, video digitizers), I was hoping for some Casio CZ-101 replacements. I had a Casio HT-700 with the ST, and it was cool, but not as cool as the then discontinued CZ-101(had 8 discrete voices). So I was hoping to find reproductions today, a retro release by Casio, even unauthorized FPGA renditions, but came up empty. It looks like there are software emulations of it, and an "official" Casio CZ App for ipad, but not sure if I would be able to hook up to a real Atari ST with real midi cables. Anyone go down any of these routes?

Would love to play around with a CZ-101 today. Music Studio with Star Spangled Banner played great through real synths. Never played a synth supported game, but that sounds cool too.

Edited by invisible kid

6 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

and an "official" Casio CZ App for ipad, but not sure if I would be able to hook up to a real Atari ST with real midi cables. Anyone go down any of these routes?

Does the app advertise MIDI-in?

Another approach might be to look for Casio "Soundfonts" and create a raspberry PI MIDI device like this:

https://jereme.me/post/raspberry-pi-midi-sound-module/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

. I like the raspberry pi idea though! Especially since it is popping up more and more, going to go that avenue for now. Will also keep an eye out on ebay, thanks!

I found a bunch of Casio Soundfonts, but not specifically the CZ-101

• Like 1

That's cool! My main "worry" was the CZ-101 was able to play 8 simultaneous notes. The HT-700 had a different kind of setup with one bass voice, 3 accompany rhythm voices, and one or more solo voices, or something similar to that. In other words, it took a lot of work to use it fully and it maybe didn't sound as good(never heard a CZ-101 in person, just saw jazillion references to it).

So I am thinking this will be closer to the CZ-101 and actually might surpass it, in terms of number of notes at the same time. Either way, will be fun to play around with it!

Edited by invisible kid

9 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

That's cool! My main "worry" was the CZ-101 was able to play 8 simultaneous notes. The HT-700 had a different kind of setup with one bass voice, 3 accompany rhythm voices, and one or more solo voices. In other words, it took a lot of work to use it correctly and it didn't sound as good.

So I am thinking this will be closer to the CZ-101 and actually might surpass it, in terms of number of notes at the same time. Either way, will be fun to play around with it.

Got it!   The good news is "FluidSynth", which is the software running on the PI that implements the virtual synth, has 256-note polyphony by default  (configurable up to 65536),  so 8 notes, no problem :)

• Like 1

Would this work with the ST? I haven't messed with it much yet, but got it for free last April. It's a RadioShack LK-1261 Key Lighting System Keyboard.

20240107_150349.jpg

20240107_150456.jpg

Edited by Zap!

13 hours ago, Zap! said:

Would this work with the ST? I haven't messed with it much yet, but got it for free last April. It's a RadioShack LK-1261 Key Lighting System Keyboard.

Anything with MIDI ports should work.

• Like 1

The program I used in back in the day was Music Studio. It comes with several songs already programmed to play. It will play under the regular ST audio chip and any midi devices connected. I had to tweak the settings to better use my synthesizer. Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes! I was just a casual user of this stuff, so don't have too much advice.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So keyboards today no longer have the duel MIDI in and out ports? I'm looking for a decent one with 88 keys, and so far they all have that USB MIDI port instead. If they stopped making them, when was the last year that they were made? See this thread:

As already said on these threads, MIDI is more than alive.  The only reason we are seeing less of MIDI over DIN only now, is due to the advent and push of MIDI 2.0.  Similarly, as already stated, this can be mitigated by a proper MIDI to USB host for any MIDI USB device which is class compliant, the most notable of which is arguably by Kenton: https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mk3/

You may have to make some compromises as others have suggested, such as the number of keys, adding a MIDI to USB host, looking at a Synth to grow into rather than a Keyboard aimed at the beginner for example.  However cost will of course be a factor, but food for thought, maybe something from Korg as an example. Take a look at the Korg Kross 2, it’s an example of something new worth considering depending on what you may want to compromise on, which may be near your budget.

Edited by Atari74user
  • Like 1

I've used and still have a Roland S50 that I got simply as a controller that I paid just under $100 for and it came with a hard case. Not idea to really use it as the synth itself since the sound is so dated but running it through a proper Roland 1080 or 2080 with some sort of FX processor is gold!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Atari74user said:

As already said on these threads, MIDI is more than alive.  The only reason we are seeing less of MIDI over DIN only now, is due to the advent and push of MIDI 2.0.  Similarly, as already stated, this can be mitigated by a proper MIDI to USB host for any MIDI USB device which is class compliant, the most notable of which is arguably by Kenton: https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mk3/

You may have to make some compromises as others have suggested, such as the number of keys, adding a MIDI to USB host, looking at a Synth to grow into rather than a Keyboard aimed at the beginner for example.  However cost will of course be a factor, but food for thought, maybe something from Korg as an example. Take a look at the Korg Kross 2, it’s an example of something new worth considering depending on what you may want to compromise on, which may be near your budget.

Thanks, I see that now! I'm so glad that I was mistaken. :) I've decided to get two keyboards: One a mini, that doesn't have to have MIDI ports, and one full sized, 88 key keyboard with MIDI. I will keep looking for good ones. I've heard good things about Korg's. My friend got her ex one for Christmas, 2002. She still remembers the model, a Korg Karma. Says she paid like $1,500 for it from Sam Ash. 😲

35 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

I've used and still have a Roland S50 that I got simply as a controller that I paid just under $100 for and it came with a hard case. Not idea to really use it as the synth itself since the sound is so dated but running it through a proper Roland 1080 or 2080 with some sort of FX processor is gold!

Is that the one with the floppy drive? Damn, that's a great deal and it still works!

• Like 1