IGNORED

Add you favorite old User Groups...

DavidMil

27 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

JACS and JACG seems different to me.

It's different.  I only remember JACG (I was a member), used to attend meetings at Bell Labs in Murray Hill, NJ.  If there was a JACS, that's a different group.

@rkindig I don't believe there is a complete archive of the JACG disks.  I know the newsletters have been (I posted a link earlier), but not sure about anything else.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:10 PM, rdefabri said:

I was a member of Jersey Atari Computer Group (JACG), we used to hold meetings at Bell Labs in Murray Hill, NJ.  The newsletters were great, and because most of the members were Bell Labs employees, the group was technically astute.

I was a kid, not old enough to work at Bell Labs (my father did, and so did I, but much later on), but loved going to those meetings.  I was able to see probably the first mass demo of Robert Jaeger's Chomper (he lived very close to me), among other cool exclusives.

I know the newsletters are archived here: https://archive.org/search?query=creator%3A"Jersey+Atari+Computer+Group".  Someone on AtariAge also has some of the disks, hoping they can be uploaded. 

My friend and I went to JACG. He was more into it than I was, since I was a little young and he was older. A few years ago he gave me a big box of JACG T-shirts that he either had made (or acquired) back then, i don't remember which. I'll see if I still have them somewhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Schadret said:

My friend and I went to JACG. He was more into it than I was, since I was a little young and he was older. A few years ago he gave me a big box of JACG T-shirts that he either had made (or acquired) back then, i don't remember which. I'll see if I still have them somewhere.

What years did you attend?  I was there early, maybe stayed with it through 1986 (interrupted by my going to college).

On 5/30/2021 at 9:09 AM, gilsaluki said:

Alamo Area Atari Users Association (AAAUA).  Longtime subscribing member.  Great support from all there. 

Same here. Subscribing member for the last few years they were around. My first experience at writing articles or any writing out of school was for their newsletter. Around the same time my first officially published article was for Atari Interface Magazine.

23 hours ago, rdefabri said:

What years did you attend?  I was there early, maybe stayed with it through 1986 (interrupted by my going to college).

It would have been mid 80's, I was in HS from 85-89, so maybe starting a little earlier than that.. its fuzzy. A teacher from my HS, last name Kaptor I believe, was big into it from what I recall. My friend's last name was Murphy, so I'd tag along with him when I could. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Schadret said:

It would have been mid 80's, I was in HS from 85-89, so maybe starting a little earlier than that.. its fuzzy. A teacher from my HS, last name Kaptor I believe, was big into it from what I recall. My friend's last name was Murphy, so I'd tag along with him when I could. 

Wow, so I'm a little older than you, but would have been right around same time (I was in HS from 82-86).  I was going to those meetings probably since their first one through maybe 1985 or 1986.  The one person I remember was Art Leyenberger...he was likely the President of the group around those years.  I also remember when Robert Jaeger set up a table and was selling Chomper.  He demo'd it at one of the meetings, which was neat.

Small world!