IGNORED

"Whoa... color!" - the official Game Gear thread!

I have not, and at $50 or definitely $100 that's more than I'm willing to drop on it.

Right now I'm in a bombshell situation from something I found out last night, my finances etc are at a threat so I'm not going to be dropping money on $50+ items right now and I'll just leave it at that.

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

There's this one, $50 cart

That's the same place I've gotten all the English patched RPGs from.

Unlike the pictures the carts are not new from them. They are cannibalized from something else, probably sonic 2 or something. The labels nice but the carts are scuffed and scraped up pretty good.

• Like 1

I tried getting into Last Bible Special again but It's so darn frustrating to start out. Might & Magic or Bards Tale type of hard. I'm past the graph paper part of my life now. I found a compass but that doesn't help much. The encounters at the beginning are just brutal. A full party of weaklings barely make it 1 battle. I'm relegated to the first dungeon entrance then running back to town to heal over and over again. Maybe I'm missing something.

IMG_20240206_003437665_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240206_003620015_HDR.jpg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I think that era of RPGs was just really grind heavy. Are there any longplays on YouTube?

I found one. This is a must. I was setting up my party wrong I think. It's slightly more bearable now. Still feels more like work than fun though. It looks and plays ok but not nearly as rewarding as the first game.

• Like 1

Is SMT Gaiden on GG the unique release or the game that also hit the GB then released stateside on GBC as Revelations?  If you are on that game, yeah, you're missing something, as it has been years, but I hate stuff like that and don't remember ever being brutalized as such.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

SMT Gaiden on GG

No the first Gaiden is what was Revelations on GBC. This one is the "Special" second game, which is all first person dungeon crawler. Not nearly as enjoyable. It does have high detail in the backgrounds and graphics for game Gear but that does not equal fun.

• Like 1

I found a +9 lives code for this. Maybe I can make it past the 2nd boss finally now and beat this. I know the only way I saw the end of Contra was with the Konami code 🫣 so I'll treat this like that. @jgkspsx have you beat this one, I know it's in your collection...

IMG_20240207_085854698.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got past the Mos Eisley stage with continues to spare and was met with this neat 3D stage in space. It's terrible. 2 hits and it's game over in the Falcon. Avoid the random generated asteroids for an indeterminate amount of time and not get hit.

IMG_20240212_112001527_HDR.thumb.jpg.587e38240a752ad75ed6f0b69cae4eb6.jpg

Has anyone anyone gotten past this? It's hard just getting to this point with any continues left to play around with it.

I think I'll go back to my other crusade of losing lives and continues all in one spot...

IMG_20240211_160857714.thumb.jpg.0089fb1465395d24f9517304af02af9e.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neogeo1982 said:

Has anyone anyone gotten past this? It's hard just getting to this point with any continues left to play around with it.

Why aggravate yourself? In 2024 simply watch the longplay for maximum thrill! minimal effort! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Switching gears completely enjoying some Star Trek today. This really feels like 3 different little games together. A space sim, a puzzler, and a shooter? The other Star Trek game looks similar to this, maybe I'll check it out after finishing this one.

IMG_20240213_104810845.jpg

IMG_20240213_110914986.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, neogeo1982 said:

Switching gears completely enjoying some Star Trek today. This really feels like 3 different little games together. A space sim, a puzzler, and a shooter? The other Star Trek game looks similar to this, maybe I'll check it out after finishing this one.

I love this but Geordi's minigame is just too hard. Generations is very similar but has a different puzzle minigame that is more like Pipe Dream. Still too hard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I once finished that TNG Generations game on GB but the puzzles are all pretty unfair and just nasty doubly so with the time limit, it's why I don't own it.  And if we're comparing TNG to Nexus, not sure I'd put up with that willingly again.

The Geordi puzzles are very different but possibly even more difficult.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, neogeo1982 said:

Very random but has anyone noticed the 1Up sound bite in Power Strike 2 is the same sound from The Guardian Legend new weapon acquired sound?

That is one of Compile's trademarks and can be found in many of their games!

• Like 1

I've recapped both my Game Gears and installed a new IPS screen on one of them so I've been focusing a bit on the system lately.

Among things I've been playing, Devilish (which is neat and I've never played before at all), Robocop vs Terminator (which is excellent), Shinobi, and GG Aleste 3 (which I didn't know existed and is stunning)

• Like 2

Compile re-uses a lot of assets, both audio choices, and also sprites or slight variations of the same sprites for enemies.  It spans over Nintendo and Sega, beyond.  You'll see or hear things in Zanac, Gun Nac, Guardian Legend, the various Aleste games, etc.

• Like 2

That's one I've wanted to like, have had it in the past, but that whole mechanic behind it keeps me anywhere but near finishing it.  Arkanoid/breakout likes tend to just eventually piss me off if they have objectives outside of really just casually racking up a score for fun because I always get wrecked by the bizarre mechanics that seem to make little sense out of it seemingly being a large case of luck of the ball goes to the right block or just rebounds doing misses for a very potentially long time.

• Like 2