IGNORED

"Whoa... color!" - the official Game Gear thread!

23 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

I admit to preferring the Game Gear and Master System versions of the original Sonic the Hedgehog over the Genesis/MD original. Garfield: Caught in the Act! and Columns were also good games for the GG.

An upgraded screen, USB charge port, and rechargeable battery have done wonders for me with this system. Viewing for long periods doesn't bother me now, and no more dead batteries or stuck near a wall plug. I've played through many titles I never would have bothered with otherwise.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Combine those with the TV Tuner and you have quite the system.

My thoughts exactly 🤣

13 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

believe the TV tuner doesn't work

Roku Express Smart TV mod. Roku Express dropped into a Power Back shell and plugged into the TV tuner. Tower of Power but for Game Gear 🫣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, neogeo1982 said:

Another really late one that finally came. Robo Cop Vs Terminator. This seems pretty solid. I never played the console ones but as a GG game it's not bad.

IMG_20231120_094251197.jpg

From memory, the SNES game is one to avoid. 

The G. G version actually has improvements over the Genesis version, runs faster, is easier to avoid enemy fire, has energy bars for the boss fights and the speech samples are taken directly from the Robocop film. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2023 at 6:05 AM, neogeo1982 said:

My thoughts exactly 🤣

Roku Express Smart TV mod. Roku Express dropped into a Power Back shell and plugged into the TV tuner. Tower of Power but for Game Gear 🫣

Don't forget the Wide Gear either.

And by the way, it seems like SYF is now selling the GG FM sound module. https://syf.nl/products/ggfm-yamaha-ym2413-sound-module?variant=46930399002971 

Interestingly, it looks like the OPLL is being controlled by a CPLD in the board, rather than the Game Gear CPU, and correcting myself from the other post, it seems like there are no GG cartridges that have the FM music in it other than the new ones, so you basically need the Master System adapter to use it. Also, it seems like the cartridge album they are selling is composed by Tadahiro Nitta, who worked in many Sega games in the past.

On 11/17/2023 at 1:46 PM, neogeo1982 said:

Today's mail box surprise came a day sooner than expected. Oh buddy!

IMG_20231117_112717796.jpg

IMG_20231117_113809447.jpg

Is this the same game that's on the NES or a different one? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

Sailor Moon S for Game Gear:

I wouldn't mind Sega Lord X or Another Dead Reviews covering this.

Yeah wouldn't be a bad idea.  It's one of two import titles (multi aside) I own for the system, it's just very well done for the era and still plays pretty nice.  You have Chibi-usa as an easy mode, and then Usagi is the standard difficulty.  It's not super hard, but you can get nailed as it's not like under age10 easy either.

• Like 2

Believe it or not I actually found some GG games in the wild today, decent ones at that too, which were both not overpriced and not the usual hard as nails to move boring drek.

Land of Illusion, Lucky Dime Caper, and Shinobi.

I was quite surprised, also came with 2 cases and another vendor I got the original GG manual booklet (vs foldout from later years) to go with my old launch era system.

Shinobi is nasty hard, having a bit of trouble staying alive in that one.  Did the highway, eventually got to the buildings, but those laser dudes are just awful.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2023 at 1:24 PM, neogeo1982 said:

An upgraded screen, USB charge port, and rechargeable battery have done wonders for me with this system. Viewing for long periods doesn't bother me now, and no more dead batteries or stuck near a wall plug. I've played through many titles I never would have bothered with otherwise.

I would love to find a service shop here in the US that could make all those mods happen for me.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'm in the same boat, I'm not comfortable with some of the fiddly tiny wires to solder in the current mods that exist with like the Bennvenn screen, but this is a whole other level and I do not have the heat gun, etc needed to pull up tiny chips and remove them safely or accurately.

I've been looking into the USB-C mod and that one is actually quite a simple one. So basically I'd only need the LCD professionally modded.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Boschloo said:

I've been looking into the USB-C mod and that one is actually quite a simple one. So basically I'd only need the LCD professionally modded.

Not bad, I realize when I wrote what I did, I was thinking of the newest mod.  Someone just recreated a full new set of 2023 orange board PCBs for the GG, main, audio, power.  They're populated kind of, you need to heat gun the ASIC/CPU from a real GG and put them back on this new board.  It's ready for anything from vintage to the current mods running the best screens, etc.  The one I could possibly pull off and would prefer doing would just be the bennvenn LCD but that needs some finicky solder work of tiny wires to specific pins on the PCB edge where a ribbon had sat or something of the sort for the old panel/lighting it came with.  I don't think my hands would cooperate too well so I try and stay away from stuff like that with my limited tools.

11 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Not bad, I realize when I wrote what I did, I was thinking of the newest mod.  Someone just recreated a full new set of 2023 orange board PCBs for the GG, main, audio, power.  They're populated kind of, you need to heat gun the ASIC/CPU from a real GG and put them back on this new board.  It's ready for anything from vintage to the current mods running the best screens, etc.  The one I could possibly pull off and would prefer doing would just be the bennvenn LCD but that needs some finicky solder work of tiny wires to specific pins on the PCB edge where a ribbon had sat or something of the sort for the old panel/lighting it came with.  I don't think my hands would cooperate too well so I try and stay away from stuff like that with my limited tools.

Now that you've brought that up I'm wondering if anyone has stuck a Raspberry Pi inside of a Game Gear just yet.