IGNORED

game genie version differences

• 7 months later...

I've heard that Nintendo made attempts to lock out the Game Genie on front loading NES systems made after 1991.  Codemasters/Galoob may have altered the Genie software in some way to get around this, but I'm not aware of any changes to the interface.  As far as I know, they are all functionally identical with the same code screen.

Honestly, I think the changes were mostly if not completely cosmetic and due to cost (i.e. cheaper black plastic vs. gold).  The Genesis Game Genie was officially licensed by Sega but there are two version of that one too.  The second one lacked the shiny metallic label and came in a much smaller box.

1 hour ago, atari2600land said:

Why did Nintendo hate the Game Genie so much?

According to this video, Howard Lincoln is quoted as saying:

"It creates derivative works.  It not only alters Nintendo games, infringing on copyrights, but can make them less fun, too easy to play."

Ultimately, I think the real reason is twofold...

1.  Nintendo didn't think of it.

2.  Codemasters, like Tengen, was a developer of unlicensed NES games that use a workaround to bypass the 10NES lockout chip.

Edited by Psionic

On 1/15/2022 at 1:58 PM, Psionic said:

According to this video, Howard Lincoln is quoted as saying:

"It creates derivative works.  It not only alters Nintendo games, infringing on copyrights, but can make them less fun, too easy to play."

Ultimately, I think the real reason is twofold...

1.  Nintendo didn't think of it.

2.  Codemasters, like Tengen, was a developer of unlicensed NES games that use a workaround to bypass the 10NES lockout chip.

Nintendo also didn’t like Blockbuster and video game rentals. The Game Genie in combination with rentals means less new game sales for Nintendo. Why buy a game for $50 when you can see everything a game has to offer in a $2 rental (with game cheats making this exceeding easy).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...