IGNORED

When did you start?

ApolloBoy

I rediscovered Atari games after I bought a Playstation in order to play Resident Evil. After I was done with that game I couldn't find any other games I really wanted for the PS. Then somehow I wound up on eBay and there discovered that the Atari 7800 had all these great games from the past, including Asteroids, Joust and Poll Position. So that was, I dunno, 1996? The rest is history.

Eric

I suppose my "interest" in classic game collecting was kindled by playing Nintendo as a rental during childhood, borrowing a friend's SMS for a summer when it was already discontinued, owning a Genesis briefly in college, and then years later being frustrated by the (at the time) poor emulation of consoles. One way or another all those things kindled the collector in me. I started out buying NES games, moved to SMS, then SNES, then Genesis, then Atari, and never really looked back since.

My interest in Atari was rekindled when I first met my wife and she took out the 5200.

I had been collecting for the 2600 and NES prior to that, so, I'll say probably around 1997 for classic gaming in general and 2000 for the 5200 which is, irnonically my favorite system by far and the most complete collection I have.

Originally 1980...got my first 2600. I got my 5200 soon after (pretty much right when it came out....was it '81 or '82?) Spent every dime I earned back then....got bored with it around '86 and gave the whole thing to my brother.

Last year, my brother told me he still had the units/games in a box and was going to take it to Goodwill unless I wanted it. I took it of course, but unfortunately he had lent it to a frined somewhere over the 10+ years, and didn't get everything back. Mostly some of the 5200 carts were gone... :sad: All that was left was 24 carts for the 2600, and about 10 for the 5200. BUT I started playing and got hooked all over again. Thankfully, my Masterplay was still present.

About six months ago, I discovered ebay!

I now have 257 carts for the 2600, and 70 for the 5200.

I also picked up a Super NES, and a PS1 inbetween....not really meaning to "collect" but just to play and still have those.

I've loved video games since I was really young and we had a ColecoVision... but I didn't get into collecting classic gaming until a few years ago. At the time, I was having a major problem with insomnia, and (for whatever reason) I figured it would be a good idea to find an Atari to keep next to my bed to play at night. I'm not entirely sure why I decided it should be an Atari (I had a Jaguar at the time), and I have no idea how I figured that would solve any insomnia problem, but I did it anyways.

After I got the Atari, I started collecting games for it as often as possible... one thing led to another and I started buying games for other systems, and my room is now a veritable arcade.

... and I still have trouble getting to sleep at night.

--Zero

I started in 1979 until the NES. Then started stopped again in the 16bit era. The same applies for the 32 bit era. Ive only started seriously collecting everything shortly before joining AA.

Same here exept I started a decade latter.

My intrest with classics and Atari specificaly started about a month before I

joined here. I was hunting down C=64 stuff I used to love playing and

one box had shitloads of carts. I got them home and foung out they where

Atari 2600 games. The next day I found a system and haven't looked back :)

It's funny how a lot of what I "collected" became the discards of what my friends didn't want. I picked up 30 SNES games and 40 N64 games for a few bucks apiece because they were taking up space in his dorm room. I got 25 or so SMS games from another friend because they were taking up space in his closet. Same guy gave me a bag of Atari games because he thought they were worthless (even I didn't know they had value at the time until I started visiting AtariAge not long after). I sometimes wonder if I'm a refuse collector or a game collector. :D

It's funny how a lot of what I "collected" became the discards of what my friends didn't want.  I picked up 30 SNES games and 40 N64 games for a few bucks apiece because they were taking up space in his dorm room.  I got 25 or so SMS games from another friend because they were taking up space in his closet.  Same guy gave me a bag of Atari games because he thought they were worthless (even I didn't know they had value at the time until I started visiting AtariAge not long after).  I sometimes wonder if I'm a refuse collector or a game collector. :D

Very true.

A minority of my collection comes from dumpsters and friends who didn't want the games. The games work of course but someone actually thought of them as worthless and decided to trash them.

You know what they say. One man's Quadrun is another man's treasure.

Let's see.. it was so long ago.. oh, yes. I remember.. One month, 6 days ago. Started with that one boxed copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 and just took off from there.

Started with NES, then Genesis, then Dreamcast and a few SNES thrown in. I'm hooked.

I recently dug up some old pics of my original collection before it expanded. I'll need to scan them someday though.

I have a pic with my 3 original 2600 consoles and INTV2. In the pic, there's a Darth Vader model that might have gotten thrown out with the INTV2. Don't blame me. At least I kept a vast majority of the games when it came time for me to move out of my parents house.

About 1990 or '91, I started reading rec.games.video.classic on Usenet.

Within a few months, I found a 2600 with 6 games at a local church rummage sale. It was mostly an impulse purchase, I had not planned to start collecting.

I hit every garage and rummage sale for the next few years and managed to amass 100+ carts. I even found a few NIB titles that retailers still had lingering in stock in the early 1990's! My whole collection is currently in storage ~3000 miles away in my Parent's basement.

I have never seen a 5200, 7200, or CV for sale, and only very rarely carts for these consoles. I have no interest in the NES or anything later, but I do have 2 dedicated pong systems.