IGNORED

another newbie

shepdawg06

Hey there, I'm 16, I'm new to this so please try to understand :-D. Well I have been reading these message boards and going to AtariAge since about last June. I latley started to try to learn C to get into GameBoy Advance Programming, but I also have gotten into the Jaguar, I never owned one but I'm buying one soon off of someone I know. Now I'm sure you get asked this all the time, and I know it is not going to be easy, but can someone like me, who only knows the programming language HTML (if that even counts as a programming language lol), can learn the Motorola 6800 assembly language? I have heard mixed opinions that its hard to program with and it's eady to program with. Also, where could I find something like on the Internet with tutorials explaing the assembly language. I've searched all over for books, but no luck. Sorry for this long post, but please help me out, if we want new games for Jaguar, you geniouses have to help those like me, who weren't gifted with teh assembly language. Thanks a lot.null

I have programmed in a number of different assembly languages, and I have to say that 68000 assembly is one of the easiest. Of course this is all relative since programming in any assembly language can be a daunting task. Also, programming a system like the Jaguar can be particularly difficult since it's hard to get help on how to do it, you can't go to the store and pickup a book on Jaguar programming so you will have to work out a lot of things on your own.

Dan

1.)I know its going to be harder than html (thats a given) :-D

2.) I know there is know specific "Jaguar Programming For Dummies" or any other jaguar programming books, but I thought there may be some books on the 6800 in general.

3.) Cafeman!! Im a big fan of Koffi already and i havnt played the game lol, also, the GBA uses C++ and i cannot remember the assembly lnguage

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: Shep Dawg ]

quote:

Originally posted by Shep Dawg:

1.)

2.) I know there is know specific "Jaguar Programming For Dummies" or any other jaguar programming books, but I thought there may be some books on the 6800 in general.

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: Shep Dawg ]

There most certainly is a book on programming the M68000. A copy came with the Macintosh 68000 Development System and this was a 2nd edition copy that was included with software released in 1984. Hunt down a copy of this book. I believe it's called "Programming the Motorola 68000" or something like that.

I only know 6502 ASM right now, and I'm no expert.

I also plan on learning 68000 ASM someday soon. I know you can make Genesis games with it, and if I'm reading this thread correctly, Jag games use 68000 ASM too. Does the GBA use an ASM language too, or if not, what is the language used for GBA development?

quote:

Originally posted by Cafeman:

I only know 6502 ASM right now, and I'm no expert.

I also plan on learning 68000 ASM someday soon. I know you can make Genesis games with it, and if I'm reading this thread correctly, Jag games use 68000 ASM too. Does the GBA use an ASM language too, or if not, what is the language used for GBA development?

You are going to love 68000 assembly.

I made the transition from 6502 assembly to 68000 a bunch of years ago, and boy was it a dream! After doing 6502 coding, working with the 68000 is almost like programming in a higher level language.

Dan

dan is right,

i have done 1 intro for ATARI STE as well in 68000... and it is really easy when you are coming from 6502...8 registers (d0-d7), 8 32 bit adress registers (a0-17), many adressing modes, +++

the only thing what drove me mad at that time is that the logic behind it is 100% vice versa to intel pentium:

f.e.

in basic

poke 712,0

lda #0

sta 712

65816 or 65c02

stz 712

680x0

move.b #0,712

intel 8086/80x86

mov 712,#0 (as far as i can remember...)

and when i have studied a lot of intel asm tutorials and code this "boundary" in my head drove me mad...

the 68000 was used

atari ST series incl. Atari Falcon

macintosh

commodore amiga (compare the "coppor list" of the amiga gfx chip to "display list" of atari 8bit... )

sinclair

sega megadrive/genesis

arcade machines (check mame & later atari games f.e. gauntlet)

now the 68000 is used in cellphones (?) or in embended systems...

hve

oh... the GBA uses ARM Thumb CPU which is similar from meaning & commands to 6502 but is a RISC so i guess many optimizing things for RISC cpus can be done (like parallel processing & pipelining)

gameboy/gameboy color has a Z80 core... excellent compact programming sheet in PDF format

www.otakunozoku.com

"Otaku No Gameboy"

such a sheet would be excellent for Atari 8bit line...

hve

quote:

Originally posted by Cafeman:

Dan, what platforms can I make games for using 68000?

Could you list all that you know?

Why did you learn 68000?

I learned it for my job, so I could write test programs for 68000 based data communications equipment I was troublshooting/repairing.

Dan