IGNORED

CDi Fan Appreciation Thread

On 1/5/2024 at 9:53 AM, louhiana said:

Hi! I'm hoping you can help me?

As kids my sister and I had a CDI 210 and played a fair bit until about the age of 9. It was the only games console we ever had. A couple of years ago we dug it out and played for a few glorious hours at my sisters house. Evoking lots of wonderful memories 🥰. But as life tends to get in the way, back to dad's it went and Dad sold it (!) Thinking we'd never use it again! (He'd stored it 20 years at this point so why the sudden sale I don't know!) Anyway, the time came when we went to get it again for another play, and noting our disappointment when we discovered it was gone, Dad rebought us a phillips 450. Now I have no recollection as to whether we actually got this replacement console up and working... (I have a smart to HDMI adaptor and I seem to remember getting the 3 red/white/yellow to scart working but can't be sure). Fastforward to last week, when I though I'd have a go and there's nothing. Power comes on, disc spins, but nothing works on the Tele. Trouble shooted and it might be that the HDMI port on my Tele doesn't work. But I have an old Tele with a scart input, so plugged in the 3 wire to the scart (no adapter needed) and still nothing. 

So I thought the console dead. This may still be the case...unless you know of something I'm missing wire wise?

My heart was still yearning for those old school memories...and for ONCE in our lives, we HAD to compete Zelda Wand of Gamelon. We just had to. So I but the bullet bought a CDI 210 on ebay...complete with the exact same controller as we had as kids etc... (ah the glorious reminiscing). Plugged it in and all is great, scart to scart on the old Tele. Fab. Decided as a warm up, (and now that I have a grown up brain), to tackle Lost Eden first...which we had zero understanding of the concept back when we were 6/7. So last night I spent a couple of hours playing my little heart out...and the same less-ideal flashbacks came back all too quickly... 20 minutes in, and the error message about "disc dirty" came up, kicked me off the game and ejected the disk. At this point I'd completely forgotten to save (rookie error) so had to start all over again. So I played for another 10 mins, saved the game, quit, ejected disc and reloaded. Fired her up and there it was!!! Game 1 saved and ready to go for me to pick up where I left off! Thrilled! So this time I'm religiously saving every new person/land/object I gain... and a few hours in and I'm further than I've ever been and super content on my journey to tick the box I've never managed to tick in my last 34 years!!!! 

Finish work today, tidy the house and get ready for another epic session, ready to dominate the dinosaurs 🦕, disc in, fire it up and WHERE THE HECK IS MY SAVED GAME??? Absolutely devastated to discover no game 1 available :(

What do I do? How do I fulfill this childhood dream of actually finishing these games without sitting at the TV for days straight? 

Your help would be massively appreciated!! 

Louise, 34, UK, (absolutely no technical know-how at all). 

Thanks for sharing, Louise! Glad you've once again got a CD-i up and running and are enjoying it. My best guess on the saved game(s) disappearing is that your 210 player suffers from the dreaded Timekeeper chip issues. Once a Timekeeper chip is no longer in working order, you will lose saved games as soon as your power off the console. Replacing a dead Timekeeper requires a decent amount of technical know-how and soldering experience, so I would recommend outsourcing such a job to someone with those skills  (as you mentioned you have "no technical know-how at all"). More information about replacing a Timekeeper can be found here. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to let us know!

• 3 weeks later...