IGNORED

How early could the 7800 realistically been released?

oky2000

The earliest was summer 1984. The earliest promotional material had Warner’s Atari, Inc. 1984 Summer Olympics logo on them as part of the sponsorship deal. I have an AT-84 unit myself with production date codes on chips from late 1983 through spring 1984. 

The system was ready to go but Warner’s panic-sale and Jack’s … “Jack-ness” … held things up with the final payments to GCC and it just didn’t happen. 

• Like 2

Such an underrated system, had a real blast using my 7800 on my Trinitron one Saturday afternoon. Found it odd that it was Copyright 1989 (both units were the model bundled with joypads not joysticks).

Hopefully I will find the rest of my games soon, sure I had a big stack of loose carts not just the 7 boxed ones I found a while back. 

Well, technically it *was* released in 1984, but so far as we know, only an ultra limited Bay Area of California release, of which almost no one seems to have noticed (I suspect this explains the super rarity of the few 1984 known labels of Joust and a few others).  But I've never been able to get first hand accounts of someone who owned or knew someone who owned one that early. 

58 minutes ago, SearsRoebuck said:

Well, technically it *was* released in 1984, but so far as we know, only an ultra limited Bay Area of California release, of which almost no one seems to have noticed (I suspect this explains the super rarity of the few 1984 known labels of Joust and a few others).  But I've never been able to get first hand accounts of someone who owned or knew someone who owned one that early. 

The late Curt Vendel (RIP) had information about a NYC test market in 1984 as well. A search of the 20 years of posts on this forum will find plenty of info about it, including some accounts of people who bought them at the time. 

I believe it was NYC and LA not the Bay area that got the test market 7800s. There is a fellow collector here in SoCal that told me he got his 7800 during the 84 test market. I don't think there were any games available for it in 84 other than the Pole Position 2 pack-in. The other four 84 labeled carts appear to have been demos.

Mitch