IGNORED

Chroma/Luma for S-Video in 800XL

TheRaven81

3 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Svideo output always looks far better on modern LCD screens than composite in my experience. I always hook up chroma for svideo on all my stock 800XLs by default. :)

Don't kick composite completely to the curb; it's needed on NTSC machines if you want to see colors for games that utilize artifacting (Ultima series, etc.).

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Don't kick composite completely to the curb; it's needed on NTSC machines if you want to see colors for games that utilize artifacting (Ultima series, etc.).

Fair point. :) It's interesting being this side of the pond because artifacting with NTSC games isn't really something PAL systems benefit from.  From a PAL based perspective composite is far inferior to Svideo on many levels.  

20 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Fair point. :) It's interesting being this side of the pond because artifacting with NTSC games isn't really something PAL systems benefit from.

Correct; but since the OP is in NY, I thought it made some sense to bring it up.

20 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

From a PAL based perspective composite is far inferior to Svideo on many levels.  

It's the same for NTSC machines too. S-Video is by far more desirable when it comes to clarity. In the case of artifacting, it's just a decision of whether you prefer seeing color in those games or not (you just get lines otherwise).

For myself, I have a set that does both; so, I have a cable that runs S-Vid and composite; then I just need to push a button on the front of the machine toggle between the two.

I've also found that I have another option available (possibly due to using an unshielded S-Vid cable): as demonstrated below I can get some (somewhat odd) colors out of my S-Vid signal if I crank up the saturation on the set. TBH, I actually prefer this to using composite, because the picture is more clear overall; and I don't really mind the difference in colors -- or the interesting patterning on the colors.

ultima4.thumb.png.64b1d3e7403af7157219b24a0a1fc29f.png

nightmission.thumb.png.faa705e1e0db902046db759df218d8e9.png

midnightmagic.thumb.png.1c0474d24c444cbb30cc933b8c1f5e63.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

When I asked about doing the S-video mod from a UK perspective I didn't realise there was a SCART variant.  I performed the mod a few years back but have since run the computer in composite(unless I really wanted a nostalgia trip to 1985 and run it in B&W) as no TV/monitor has had s-video jacks.  Found the wiring diagrams now for the SCART cable so will have a go at making one up.

Regards

Phil