IGNORED

Dead 2600 RGB

juansolo

Well this is annoying.

This is the RGB mod we did to @marauder666's 2600 that's been running just fine for over a year and a half. The other day it just packed up with no provocation. Getting the probe'n'scope out we've found the following: TIA is running (also checked without RGB via RF), we've got sound we've got sync (we can see it coming in and out of the video encoder) but there's nothing coming in on the RGB lines of the encoder. Usual due dilligence, power coming in is good. The 2.2V (we're assuming it's supposed to be 2.2...) and 3.3V regs on the RGB board are working. IC's appear to be getting 5v where they're supposed to. We're a bit stuck beyond that. It's not shorting anything like ZPH's was and it appears to be running correctly other than having no picture signal other than sync.

It's an odd one. Any ideas for us to test before I abandon all hope for this thing and just fit our S-Video mod?

So you already checked and you don't have +5, GND, and the SYNC shorting on yours? That is what I had happen to the one I installed just a few days after I had it up and running. It actually happened the first time I tried to use the RGB output on it using the cable assembly from Tim. In any event, this isn't the first of this happening and when I reached out to Tim to ask about why the one I had was working fine a few days and then just up and died. He advised me it was a known issue that he hasn't been able to suss out and sent me a replacement to install. That second one thus far has been working fine but I should note that I didn't change anything in my wiring between the two boards. So it was something odd on the RGB that just gives out it seems?

I assume you have verified the 2600 is good otherwise by removing the RGB and plugging the TIA back in directly?

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

So you already checked and you don't have +5, GND, and the SYNC shorting on yours?

Power is all good. It definitely seems a different problem to the one you and ZPH had then.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I assume you have verified the 2600 is good otherwise by removing the RGB and plugging the TIA back in directly?

Yep, working fine without the RGB board.

Did you attach the second button function to the RGB board so you can try and force it into PAL/NTSC modes etc? Do you even get any indication of life on the RGB's indicator LED when you power on the system?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Did you attach the second button function to the RGB board so you can try and force it into PAL/NTSC modes etc? Do you even get any indication of life on the RGB's indicator LED when you power on the system?

You nailed the problem and solution there mate!

From @marauder666: "We’re back.  Holding down button on power up disables/enables the rgb.  No idea how it got disabled though"

That's sweet. We were getting a little concerned there!

Edited by juansolo

15 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

@-^CrossBow^-   Thanks.

Still no idea how it got disabled.  Only realised it might be when I checked the operation of the button, and noticed the disable option on the list of palette options.

NP and I'm glad that is all it was. I'm pretty sure that the LED light on the RGB doesn't light when it is disabled as well. But it concerns me that it seems to remember these options in flash because you disconnected the RGB and it still had that option disabled. I only know of that option because if you still want to use the RF, you have to disable the RGB board to do so. 

I had another modder reach out to me because they had an RGB 2600 that seems to like to auto switch into PAL mode on some NTSC games?! Not sure whatever happened with that as I didn't have those issues on the one I did, but yeah. That second button pretty much needs to be added just in case for stuff like this.