IGNORED

Karateka = teh suck

ApolloBoy

I think the story goes that this game would've been compatible with the 7800 keyboard. Of course, the keyboard never came to be, and what we got was a complete mess. Whether the keyboard thing is true or not, there's no reason the game should be that unresponsive. I can't believe quality control was that bad at Atari. Tramiel needs his a*s kicked for this game alone.

The Apple II version rocks, though.

To be quite honest, I got most of the 7800 games I ordered from AtariPitBull today.

I couldn't get into any of them. I noticed how bad most of the 1st party titles are. That's just my opinion.

Ditto for Karateka. It' makes a nice drink coaster instead of an actual game.

No.. Karteka ROCKS!!!!

On the Apple II!! Yeah!!!

On the C64!! Yeah!!!

On the 7800?? er...

It looks good, and sounds good.. It's all in the controls...

Even the computer versions, they take a bit getting used to the controls, but once you get them, it's AWESOME!!

It had cut-scenes!!!! Most cinematic of it's time.. WWWaayyy advanced...

Even now, the running looks pretty good...

But it's all in the controls.... As much as I try, I can't have fun on the 7800 version...

Oh well, luckily, I have the original for my Apple //e right here next to my PC.. :-)

desiv

Yeah, the 7800 version is a real train wreck. It always interests

me how some people bitch about how poor Atari couldn't come

back to success in the late 80s because Nintendo was such an

abusive monopoly. They were, but to me any company that

would release Karateka and Impossible Mission (the ntsc version

can't even be played all the way through), deserves to go under.

Yeah, the 7800 version is a real train wreck.  It always interests

me how some people bitch about how poor Atari couldn't come

back to success in the late 80s because Nintendo was such an

abusive monopoly.  They were, but to me any company that

would release Karateka and Impossible Mission (the ntsc version

can't even be played all the way through), deserves to go under.

Good point.

While I do agree that Nintendo crossed more than a few lines with "questionable" business tactics designed to bully stores and developers while squeezing out competition, Atari wasn't blameless in their predicament and the jury saw that in the Atari vs Nintendo antitrust suit.

I can just picture the proceedings:

Atari: You made it so we couldn't compete?

Nintendo: Really? When we came along in 1985, what was your marketshare? What was ours?

Atari: Umm ...

Nintendo: When we started giving you heavy competition, what did you do? Focus on a streamlined campaign with the 7800 to fight us?

Nintendo: No - you made the 7800 compete with us, Sega and then the XE Game System that you introduced ...

Nintendo: Let's talk about games. I hear 7800 Impossible Mission was never possible to win because you didn't beta test properly ...

Nintendo: When customers started eating up games like Super Mario Brothers, did you release games like that on the 7800 in 1987 ...

Atari: Err ....

Nintendo: In 1988? ...

Atari: Umm ....

Nintendo: In 1989? ...

Atari: Yes!

Nintendo: So - even though there was no technical limitation for the 7800 playing a game like Super Mario Brothers ... you didn't bother to release games like that until 1989 ...?

Atari: Well, uh, we didn't ... uh ... want to fund the development costs or shell out the cash to build games that were more than 48K in size. The 7800 can play 144K games but ....

Nintendo: We looked to expand the size of NES cartridges beyond the 128K we initially intended. Did you do the same with the 7800 or XE?

Atari: Err ... we added a sound chip to a couple of 7800 games!

Nintendo: Really ... how many?

Atari: Two!

Nintendo: Uh huh - and when were they released.

Atari: Err ... two years apart.

Nintendo: We spent $30,000,000 a year on marketing the NES. What was your budget in marketing the 7800?

Atari: <whispers> $300,000 sir ...

Nintendo: We came out with the NES in 1985. I hear you had 7800's built and ready to go in 1984. What happened?

Atari: We ... uh ... pulled them back and put them on the warehouse for two years ...

Nintendo: We rest our case ...

It's slightly less pathetic on a real 7800.  Erm, VERY slightly.

Wow... I'm glad I've never tried to play it in emulation!

Even with the manual, I can't figure this game out at all. I always die within about 5 seconds. :mad:

I really wanted this game to be cool, too... :roll:

The XE version is pretty good -- much better than the horridly bad 7800 version. The cart is getting rarer, but if you can find it, snatch it up!

Alas - I still maintain that those who call the Atari Jaguar game "Fight For Life" the "worst fighting game ever made" have not spent 10 minutes playing 7800 KARATEKA. While FFL isn't a "good" game, it's hardly "the worst ever made". 7800 Karateka would definitely get a nomination from me!

From what I understand her reaction is I dont think she was worth the effort  :twisted:

It depends on how you approach her.

:-)

Now I remember that!!

All psyched the first time I got to her.. Called my family and friends in...

"I made it.. I made it.. I..."

and then...

Oooohhh!! The Humanity!!!!!

:-)

Now, THAT was gaming!!!!!!!!!!

desiv

(I seem to remember that it was the first time my dad liked anything about video games.. He laughed and laughed.. Something about realism in games.. :-)

No..  Karteka ROCKS!!!!

On the Apple II!!  Yeah!!!

On the C64!!  Yeah!!!

On the 7800??  er...

It looks good, and sounds good..  It's all in the controls...

Even the computer versions, they take a bit getting used to the controls, but once you get them, it's AWESOME!!

It had cut-scenes!!!!  Most cinematic of it's time..  WWWaayyy advanced...

Even now, the running looks pretty good...

But it's all in the controls....  As much as I try, I can't have fun on the 7800 version...

Oh well, luckily, I have the original for my Apple //e right here next to my PC..  :-)

desiv

The Atari 800 version is every bit as good as the Apple II version, maybe even better, becuase you have a choice of the keyboard or an ATARI joystick. But do stay away from the 7800 version.

Goochman wrote:  

From what I understand her reaction is I dont think she was worth the effort  

It depends on how you approach her.

You have NO IDEA how much that pissed me off the first time I won the game (or so I thought).

Tempest