IGNORED

2 Broken Commodore 1541 drives, possible to fix?

Hello everyone, I have two 1541 drives, 1 is the old style with the pull tab in the middle that someone set to be "drive 9", the other the new tronics drive with the flip lever on the side. Originally the pull tab was running with red light always turned on and the lever one cannot find the disc at all, just gives a "file not found error". It attempts to search but not successful, when I first got it though I remember it seeking but the C64 screen hanging. Anyways I opened both up to attempt a chip swap to find the culprits. When taking the rom chip?(the top right chip closest to the power supply plug) from the flip lever drive and placing into the pull tab I got the pull tab drive to stop spinning constantly. However, after loading up a copy of maniac mansion it just gets to the crack screen. I press "space bar" to advance but the immediate result is "device not present error in 180". What does this mean exactly. Could the drive head be misaligned or something to that effect?

I would have kept just swapping chips to see if I could get the flip lever drive to work maybe but most are soldered. I wouldn't mind de-soldering and installing sockets but I'd rather work on the easier drive to repair, just not sure which one that may be.

Forgot to mention, the C64 works great with the other 1541's I have, just these two product the errors mentioned above.

Any inside is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone! 

Edited by INTVCruise
Add info.

A continuously running drive and the "device not present" errors are not indicative of a misaligned drive.  There is something going on in the controller electronics.  Yeah, a bad DOS ROM is one of the solutions to a continuously running drive, IIRC.

Once again, Ray Carlsen to the rescue with a troubleshooting and repair guide for the 1541.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/1541/fix1541.txt