IGNORED

For my 1,000th post, I won a game of RealSports Basball

jeremiahjt

I noticed I was at 999 posts the other day and I decided for my 1,000th post I wanted an Atari accomplishment.  It has not been easy.  I first tried Vid Grid, but apparently my copy is scratched because the game kept freezing after four or five songs.  Then I thought what about beating Bubsy in one segment.  My skills had deteriorated too much for that to be feasible.  Then I was like what about something on the ProSystem.  I have wanted to win a game against the computer in RealSports Baseball for years, I just never took the time to try.  I decided the time was now.

My very first game I knocked a homerun in the first inning.  I then made it to the bottom of the ninth with a 1-0 lead.  I had even got out of the fourth and fifth with bases loaded. They had two outs and runners on first and second.  Of course they tied it up and won in the eleventh.  Since scoring was so difficult I decided I would keep resetting the game until I scored at least one run in the first inning.  It took a lot of resets.  The next time they tied it in the eighth and won in extras again.  I had many attempts end in the middle innings.  Especially the third.  I had one game where they tied it and I kept playing and had a two run seventh.  They then went on a six run spree in the eighth to end that game.

Up until this point I had only scored on homeruns.  One game I had two homeruns in the first and that two run seventh was the first homerun I had hit with a man on base.  This last game I played I finally scored with small ball.  Getting a good leadoff for the lead runner I was able to score a non-homerun run in the first.  I then did it again in the fifth.  I ended up pitching a complete game shutout to finally win 2-0! Woohoo!

The game I finally won I out hit them 8 to 3.  The first game I almost won, they had out hit me 14 to 1 before they tied the game.  I got better at hitting, but hitting those fastballs is difficult as you almost have to release the button before the ball even leaves the pitcher's hand.  Speaking of pitching, I pretty much only throw the fast stuff.  It seems to me that the computer kills the off-speed stuff.

Overall this is not a great game, but I have wanted to win a game for years and I am glad I finally did it.  It is not the worst game on the system or anything, but there are a lot of simple things that this game gets wrong.

My quest for an Atari accomplishment for my 1,000th post is complete.  Back to Phantasy Star III now.

• Like 5

I forgot to mention that playing this game also confirmed that the right button on both of my joypads do not work. When we were playing Pole Position II and Motor Psycho in the high score club, I was thinking that I should have a brake button on Pole Position II and I thought a jump button on Motor Psycho. I figured I was remembering wrong since both controllers did nothing for the right button. Nope, the buttons were not working.

I had to pull out the old Proline so I could actually throw a pitch (and get a lead off). It worked pretty well for this game honestly.

1 hour ago, GoldenWheels said:

For whatever reason this inspires me to go break the backboard in One on One one more time. Goddamn that game can be fun, especially vs.

The Vs. mode is fantastic. The best sports game on the 7800, by a fairly wide margin, and also one of the most underrated titles overall on the ProSystem.

One-on-One.jpeg

Edited by aaron1677
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1