IGNORED

I've been robbed - watch out for this guy!

Maarten Martens

Hello people,

After a long, long search for a Jaguar CD, I thought I had finally found a nice deal. I bought the JAGCD from Kevin White, a guy who seems to visit this forum for quite some years. I paid $102 for it. That was 3 weeks ago. After payment, he never replied again. I don't know what happened. Too bad, as I was really looking forward to finally use a JAGCD. But I guess there is always just one guy who has to ruin it for everybody. Sad, sad, sad ... Especially after more than 5 years of buying, selling and trading on the internet with people from all over the world. I don't think I will be doing much business on the information highway in the future ...

So in conclusion : Watch out for Kevin White. His email address is lampjack@excite.com and he uses John_Sexton@berea.edu for his paypall email address ...

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Cheers,

Hello Maarten!

So in conclusion : Watch out for Kevin White. His email address is lampjack@excite.com and he uses John_Sexton@berea.edu for his paypall email address ...  

What convinced you to transfer money to a Paypal-account which

runs under the name of a totally different person?

Regards

Matthias

Hello people,

After a long, long search for a Jaguar CD, I thought I had finally found a nice deal. I bought the JAGCD from Kevin White, a guy who seems to visit this forum for quite some years. I paid $102 for it. That was 3 weeks ago. After payment, he never replied again. I don't know what happened. Too bad, as I was really looking forward to finally use a JAGCD. But I guess there is always just one guy who has to ruin it for everybody. Sad, sad, sad ... Especially after more than 5 years of buying, selling and trading on the internet with people from all over the world. I don't think I will be doing much business on the information highway in the future ...  

:sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  

Cheers,

Have you tried to contact Paypal to find out what the problem may be? They might have information to help you.

What if the poor guy was in a car accident or something and is unconscious or something. Certainly he couldn't answer your emails, right?

You could probably find the phone number of the guy who you sent the money to as well. Perhaps you can call him and see if there is an explanation.

If you used a credit card thru PayPal, most credit card companies will give you your money back in you file a fraud complaint thru them. I had to do this once. Not sure how it'd work if the money came straight from your bank account.

Did you buy straight from this guy, or was there an auction site as intermediary?

Sorry to hear that Maarten, (if indeed you got ripped off). :sad:

I'd have to go with Atari Smeghead on this one. I try to make sure I can always use a cc for payment- whether it's ebay or other- so if the merchandise doesn't arrive, I can retract payment after thirty days or so.

I had two sellers try to rip me off on ebay last year and using this method, my items arrived almost instantly. :D One item I'd waited five weeks to receive and the other was two months. I tried the "contact seller" bit and it was useless. Kept getting the runaround. But after pulling payment, they shipped very quickly. Also, Paypal is assessed a fine for representing the seller as reliable business person... or something like that. Forgot the exact wording.

I realize this doesn't have a lot to do with your situation, Maarten Martens, but maybe could be helpful info to someone else.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you can get this resolved. :)

Was thinking about this again and another incident occured a few months ago and a sticky thread was started in Marketplace to keep track of info/updates since so many people were ripped off by the same dude.

If in fact you did get ripped, there's some interesting info there that might be useful for pursuing some type of criminal charges for online fraud.

You can always contact CPUWIZ, MMF or lonesome_pa for any questions, too. These are really helpful people who might be able to lend a hand. :)

Saturn,

Since I'm using paypal, I'm using a credit card, not? So can I just retract the payment?

That depends if you transferred funds from your cc to pay for the item/s. If you did, you can call your bank that issued the cc and tell them you never recieved your purchase and more than likely, they'll retract the payment for "non-receipt of goods". May have to wait a minimum of thirty days after the initial date of payment, though. Then, your cc company might charge a small fee to Paypal for having to do this, hence the fine.

If you transferred cash from your regular bank to your Paypal account to pay for the item/s, you'll probably have to go the other route of filing a complaint with Paypal or contacting lampjack or even filing an online fraud complaint with these people if available.

I've never done the latter, myself so I won't be much help there, but I have jacked pymt through my cc company a couple times.

I realize that you have to have a cc to even get an account with Paypal, but that might be for age verification and authenticity of ownership so it really depends on how the actual transaction took place.

Hope this helps. :)

Okay, thanks a lot for all the help so far!  

So Saturn, I use a CC to pay the private person using paypal. I just filed a complaint at paypal, asking for more info and explaining the case. If they don't reply ma, I'll call my cc company, see what they can do!  

Thanks a lot!

Awesome! 8)

I realize that you have to have a cc to even get an account with Paypal, but that might be for age verification and authenticity of ownership so it really depends on how the actual transaction took place.

Not any more, PayPal now acept solo cards as well. I got my first solo when I was 16, I think you can get them even younger since its just a debit card. Im not 100% sure you can start a new acount using a solo, but I cant imagine they'd support them for other things and not making new acounts.

Aren't we all US citizens even though we're separated by a huge pool of water? :P

When i bought my Nuon player it took over 4 months to deliver. The person who helped me was a really busy guy. Man.. i worried my brains out at times.. since their wasn't any contact for weeks either..

In the end it all turned out great though :)

Just to cheer things up a bit.. You never know although it smells kinda fishy.

I always thought that the paypal payment protection only applied to US citizens and that the rest of the world didn't get this? have things changed since ebay took over paypal?

From my personal experience, there really isn't any PayPal protection plan. My story:

I made a purchase and never received item despite Emails with various ship dates from the seller. Finally on the 29th day (the item was still in transit according to the seller) I filed a PayPal protection claim for undelivered goods (you MUST file within 30 days or they will do nothing).

They replied they would send a message to the seller and the seller had 14 days to respond to the message. If they didn't respond, I automatically won my complaint. If they did respond, more investigation would be done.

Making sure I covered all my bases, I contacted my credit card company, told them of the problem and that PayPal was investigating. They took all the information and told me if I was not satisfied with PayPals investigation to call them back and they would become involved.

17 days passed and nothing from PayPal. I contacted them three times via Email and nothing. I had had enough so I called my credit card company and filed a complaint with them. They acknowledged my previous call and said they would start an immediate investigation. The next day I got a Email from PayPal that the seller did not respond. I won my case. But oop's.... according to PayPal rules, you only get your money back if they have money in their PayPal account. If they only pay by credit card or empty their account, you get NOTHING.

Later that same day my bank called me and told me they were issuing a refund to my credit card for the full amount. They said PayPal was very uncooperative and they would handle getting the money from PayPal themselves.

The very next day I got a Email from PayPal threatening to close my account because I didn't follow their rules and brought my bank into the situation. Seems they feel only they can handle complaints and any outside parties (i.e. BANKS) are not allowed. If I ever broke the rules again, my account would be permanently closed.

What I learned: file your complaint with PayPal within 30 days. And check with your bank for find out how long you have to file a complaint with them (some have a statement to statement time frame). If I had problems again, I wouldn't even bother with PayPal but go straight to my CC company.

Mendon

there is a website which has lots of similar stories against pay pal.. things like their suits actually closing peoples accounts saying they were being investigated when there was money in their accounts. Then this money was used to buy stock just before some major event and then sold strate after.. so not only wrongly closing accounts but insider trading too!!..

sounds very sketchy.. I wondered if it had improved since ebay took them over.. I would hope so

Hmm, I've read complaints about ebay through a website that is dedicated to investigating them and informing the public about the activities described, but I had no problems with Paypal or threatening emails when my cc co. retracted pymts and credited my acct. This was twice mind you.

I wonder what the deal is? :ponder:

I did a few google searches for both his email addys and names.

lampjack@excite.com comes up over at the Jaguar Interactive board:

http://www.atarihq.com/interactive/messages/54171.html

&

http://www.atarihq.com/interactive/messages/54169.html

He linked to his ebay auction in the second thread, which is for the scatbox, which in his email to you he mentions he was selling it as well.

You could possible try contacting the winning bidder of that auction to see if they've been having similar problems with him. They haven't posted any feedback for him yet. They could still be waiting like you.

As for the John_Sexton addy, it may NOT be a second person, just an alias. Like someone whom calls himself John McClane, may just be a big Diehard fan. There's a John McClane over at gametz. ;) But he can play it off, as he's got two totally different names, and act like he doesn't know how he got your money in his account, but that still doesn't change the fact that he received it. This doesn't look good.

If you haven't already, I would file a complaint thru Paypal against him. I've had some success that way. It was to be done within 30 days of the transfer thou. Regardless of whether he's sending now or not I would still file. You can always send back if it is received. Also assuming that doesn't work I would then try filing a chargeback thru your credit card.