IGNORED

Games that make good use of STEREO sound?

DracIsBack

For a few months, I've been playing my Sega Dreamcast through a home theater and I've been enjoying the sound dimension that this adds to the games.

Recently, I decided to hook up my Jaguar to the same receiver for the same purpose. I must confess that I was shocked that a lot of Jaguar games didn't seem to have stereo sound at all, even though the system has the capability to do both stereo and surround sound. Some, like KASUMI NINJA and a great many others are only mono sound. Others, like SUPER BURNOUT, have stereo sound but it's hardly noticeable.

So that begs the question: What games do you think made good use of stereo sound?

For a few months, I've been playing my Sega Dreamcast through a home theater and I've been enjoying the sound dimension that this adds to the games.

Recently, I decided to hook up my Jaguar to the same receiver for the same purpose. I must confess that I was shocked that a lot of Jaguar games didn't seem to have stereo sound at all, even though the system has the capability to do both stereo and surround sound.  Some, like KASUMI NINJA and a great many others are only mono sound. Others, like SUPER BURNOUT, have stereo sound but it's hardly noticeable.  

So that begs the question: What games do you think made good use of stereo sound?

T2K. I have it on my Klipsch Kiosk and it ROCKS! :D

Recently, I decided to hook up my Jaguar to the same receiver for the same purpose. I must confess that I was shocked that a lot of Jaguar games didn't seem to have stereo sound at all, even though the system has the capability to do both stereo and surround sound.  Some, like KASUMI NINJA and a great many others are only mono sound. Others, like SUPER BURNOUT, have stereo sound but it's hardly noticeable.  

Hmmmm... that's a good question. :? :music: :?:

Most of the Jagcd titles have good stereo sound or surround, except maybe the Readysoft games like Dragons Lair, they sound like mono.

off the top of my head ones that sound good in stereo:

Aircars

Battlesphere&I assume Gold

Iron Soldier

I-war

T2k

Defender2K

HoverStrike (although it's backwards, boy did they screw up there! but if you switch left&right outputs it works good. HS:UL cd has it right)

Fight for Life

Skyhammer

Cannon Fodder

Hyperforce

Rayman

Misslecommand3D

Ultra Vortek

Towers II

Zero

NBA Jam (3D stereo)

I know most of the others actually do, but many of them are not done well and hard to distinguish. I've had my Jag hooked up to stereo and/or surround since the beginning and most games sound pretty good to me, so just try some more...

I'd just like to note that many games have Stereo sound, but that the seperation of the stereo channels isn't very good, so it pretty much sounds like the same sounds are coming out of both speakers, but, it stills sounds a lot better than if the game was done in mono.

I'd just like to note that many games have Stereo sound, but that the seperation of the stereo channels isn't very good, so it pretty much sounds like the same sounds are coming out of both speakers, but, it stills sounds a lot better than if the game was done in mono.

Exactly right. And further: all stereo games sound better on headphones since your perception of the stereo seperation is artificially increased by the position of the speakers on either side of your head.

Stone

Exactly right. And further: all stereo games sound better on headphones since your perception of the stereo seperation is artificially increased by the position of the speakers on either side of your head.

Stone

Man! Your good! :D

Oh btw does anyone have the QSound module for Jag? I know I know, it would cost a fortune to liscence it in a game (and Atari's liscence wouldnt count since they dont publish Jag games for us guys hehe), but for purely home expirimentation it'd be a fun thing to play with.

I know Wolfenstein used Q-Sound, not sure if NBA Jam does too? I do know Atari picked up the licensing fees for it though.

An interesting point is that all games using Q-Sound are actually generating all the sound in mono :) The action of the Q-Sound module is to delay the playback of this master channel differently on each channel in such a way as to fool you into thinking it's in stereo 8)

Stone

I know Wolfenstein used Q-Sound, not sure if NBA Jam does too? I do know Atari picked up the licensing fees for it though.

An interesting point is that all games using Q-Sound are actually generating all the sound in mono :) The action of the Q-Sound module is to delay the playback of this master channel differently on each channel in such a way as to fool you into thinking it's in stereo 8)

Stone

Isn't that how sound works in real life? When someone fires a gun it doesn't generate different sound tracks for each ear. It makes a monophonic sound that takes different amounts of time to reach each ear.

If anything was "fooling" the listener, it would be a sound sample played on two channels that used each channel to simulate the delay effect of QSound/Reality.

Isn't that how sound works in real life? When someone fires a gun it doesn't generate different sound tracks for each ear. It makes a monophonic sound that takes different amounts of time to reach each ear.

If anything was "fooling" the listener, it would be a sound sample played on two channels that used each channel to simulate the delay effect of QSound/Reality.

Point taken :)

Stone

I know Wolfenstein used Q-Sound

I've never heard this before. What's your source?

An interesting point is that all games using Q-Sound are actually generating all the sound in mono :)

Again, I've never heard this before. According to the QSound website, it can act on mono, stereo, and surround streams.

The action of the Q-Sound module is to delay the playback of this master channel differently on each channel in such a way as to fool you into thinking it's in stereo

Umm, no. QSound is a bit more complex than simulated-stereo algos. It's supposed to be able simulate 3-dimensional positional audio using as few as two speakers.

Frankly I've yet to hear a convincing QSound demo.

I've never heard this before. What's your source?

Think there's an internal memo posted somewhere on atarihq.com where they mention picking up the license fees.

Again, I've never heard this before. According to the QSound website, it can act on mono, stereo, and surround streams.

The Jag version acts on mono streams only. Read the Q-Sound section of the dev manual (page two, about QCreator).

Umm, no. QSound is a bit more complex than simulated-stereo algos. It's supposed to be able simulate 3-dimensional positional audio using as few as two speakers.

I thought the mono-only input sample on the Jag version made this the only way to do it. Not sure now :?

Frankly I've yet to hear a convincing QSound demo.

The Jag one is pretty nice even with the speakers on my 14" tv (which are about 15" apart). It's obviously not perfect (you're not going to flinch off to one side at the sound of gunshots or look over your shoulder to find out where the sound is coming from) but you can hear what's happening and it adds a tiny bit more realism to the program. Not worth the processing time IMHO, but it can sound quite good in some cases.

The best I ever heard was on a ambient jungle soundtrack demo thing on the PC, they had a monkey call from just behind you and it was really surprising to hear the sound appear to come from a competely different direction that you expected :)

Stone