Jump to content
IGNORED

Doom The 2600 demake


TheMajorHavoc

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

DOOM2600_BK_102423.bin   Bugfixed demo: DOOM2600_BK_102423.bin     @ZeroPage Homebrew

 

  Error was coming from my map routine. Was using 3 temporary variables (temp3,4,5)  in a for-next loop to plot playfield.

  switched to 3 normal variables and it resolved.

   But the routine resides in bank3, not bank 7 ?  @splendidnut @Karl G

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by TheMajorHavoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheMajorHavoc said:

DOOM2600_BK_102423.bin   Bugfixed demo: DOOM2600_BK_102423.bin     @ZeroPage Homebrew

 

  Error was coming from my map routine. Was using 3 temporary variables (temp3,4,5)  in a for-next loop to plot playfield.

  switched to 3 normal variables and it resolved.

   But the routine resides in bank3, not bank 7 ?  @splendidnut @Karl G

Yeah, that makes sense since many bB commands do make use of those temp variables.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Attempting to move this project to 64KSC , but I cannot get it to run.

 I'm afraid I might be missing something else because I can't get any compiled code at 64K to run.

  

  Attached is some Doom BGM music code I did on the Atari Riff Machine (Very fun to write 2600 music on!).

   I was testing for 64kSC. The music is in Bank 15.

  Ran fine in Bank 7 @ 32k binary, but just black screen 64k binary. 

 

Can someone take a look and tell what i'm missing?

 

bB 1.7 Compilation log:

 

Compile started at 5/20/2024 8:01:33 PM
Compiling C:\Vbatari\projects\Doomed\test3.bas
2600 Basic compilation completed.
      3742 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 3
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 4
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 5
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 6
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 7
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 8
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 9
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 10
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 11
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 12
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 13
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 14
      825 bytes of ROM space left in bank 15
      0 bytes of ROM space left in bank 16

Complete. (0)
Compilation completed at 5/20/2024 8:01:33 PM
view output file:///C:/Vbatari/projects/Doomed/bin
Post compilation files deleted

 

test64k.bas

 

 

 

Edited by TheMajorHavoc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TheMajorHavoc said:

Attempting to move this project to 64KSC , but I cannot get it to run.

 I'm afraid I might be missing something else because I can't get any compiled code at 64K to run.

  

  Attached is some Doom BGM music code I did on the Atari Riff Machine (Very fun to write 2600 music on!).

   I was testing for 64kSC. The music is in Bank 15.

  Ran fine in Bank 7 @ 32k binary, but just black screen 64k binary. 

For some reason, I'm not able to compile any 64K projects at the moment, so I need to figure out why. I did notice code like this, though, in 4 places:

 

gosub MusicSetup0 thisbank

 

"thisbank" and "otherbank" are not used with gosub or goto statements, but only with return statements when needed. If you are doing a gosub or a goto into the same bank, you don't need to specify the bank at all.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Karl G said:

For some reason, I'm not able to compile any 64K projects at the moment, so I need to figure out why. I did notice code like this, though, in 4 places:

 

gosub MusicSetup0 thisbank

 

"thisbank" and "otherbank" are not used with gosub or goto statements, but only with return statements when needed. If you are doing a gosub or a goto into the same bank, you don't need to specify the bank at all.

Yes, I think I started trying any idea that came to mind when I added that.

  Since you can't compile 64K either, I'm starting to wonder if it's a bB issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TheMajorHavoc said:

Yes, I think I started trying any idea that came to mind when I added that.

  Since you can't compile 64K either, I'm starting to wonder if it's a bB issue.

Well, it sounds like you *can* compile it, but it just gives you a blank screen, right? Sounds like a different issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I looked into this for a while this afternoon.  When I downloaded the test64k.bas file into my older project directory, the compile worked but the binary did not work.  When I downloaded a fresh copy of bB 1.7 into a new folder, the compile and the binary worked fine. I could hear the sound effects (very nice, btw!).  

 

I did a folder comparison of my include file directories and the only difference was the score_graphics.asm file.  Copying the default score_graphics.asm file into my old project directory fixed the problem.  Looking at them, my older score_graphics.asm file did not have the necessary code at the beginning for 64k, the "if bankswitch == 64" section was missing.  If you have a modified score_graphics.asm file that could be it, as that file would be included in the build even if you're not using the score.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Karl G said:

Well, it sounds like you *can* compile it, but it just gives you a blank screen, right? Sounds like a different issue.

@Karl G Found the issue! 64K option does not like my custom "score_graphics.asm" I had in my Project folder.

 Now compiles with 2363 bytes of ROM space left in bank 16 and plays music!

 Thanks for your help, I'm so happy it's not a bB issue :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Atarius Maximus said:

I looked into this for a while this afternoon.  When I downloaded the test64k.bas file into my older project directory, the compile worked but the binary did not work.  When I downloaded a fresh copy of bB 1.7 into a new folder, the compile and the binary worked fine. I could hear the sound effects (very nice, btw!).  

 

I did a folder comparison of my include file directories and the only difference was the score_graphics.asm file.  Copying the default score_graphics.asm file into my old project directory fixed the problem.  Looking at them, my older score_graphics.asm file did not have the necessary code at the beginning for 64k, the "if bankswitch == 64" section was missing.  If you have a modified score_graphics.asm file that could be it, as that file would be included in the build even if you're not using the score.

@Atarius Maximus Thanks man! That's definitely missing from my score graphics file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...