IGNORED

Doom The 2600 demake

TheMajorHavoc

• 2 weeks later...

DOOM2600_BK_102423.bin   Bugfixed demo: DOOM2600_BK_102423.bin     @ZeroPage Homebrew

Error was coming from my map routine. Was using 3 temporary variables (temp3,4,5)  in a for-next loop to plot playfield.

switched to 3 normal variables and it resolved.

But the routine resides in bank3, not bank 7 ?  @splendidnut @Karl G

Edited by TheMajorHavoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheMajorHavoc said:

DOOM2600_BK_102423.bin   Bugfixed demo: DOOM2600_BK_102423.bin     @ZeroPage Homebrew

Error was coming from my map routine. Was using 3 temporary variables (temp3,4,5)  in a for-next loop to plot playfield.

switched to 3 normal variables and it resolved.

But the routine resides in bank3, not bank 7 ?  @splendidnut @Karl G

Yeah, that makes sense since many bB commands do make use of those temp variables.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Attempting to move this project to 64KSC , but I cannot get it to run.

I'm afraid I might be missing something else because I can't get any compiled code at 64K to run.

Attached is some Doom BGM music code I did on the Atari Riff Machine (Very fun to write 2600 music on!).

I was testing for 64kSC. The music is in Bank 15.

Ran fine in Bank 7 @ 32k binary, but just black screen 64k binary. 

Can someone take a look and tell what i'm missing?

bB 1.7 Compilation log:

Compile started at 5/20/2024 8:01:33 PM
Compiling C:\Vbatari\projects\Doomed\test3.bas
2600 Basic compilation completed.
      3742 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 3
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 4
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 5
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 6
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 7
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 8
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 9
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 10
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 11
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 12
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 13
      3772 bytes of ROM space left in bank 14
      825 bytes of ROM space left in bank 15
      0 bytes of ROM space left in bank 16

Complete. (0)
Compilation completed at 5/20/2024 8:01:33 PM
view output file:///C:/Vbatari/projects/Doomed/bin
Post compilation files deleted

test64k.bas

Edited by TheMajorHavoc

11 hours ago, TheMajorHavoc said:

Attempting to move this project to 64KSC , but I cannot get it to run.

I'm afraid I might be missing something else because I can't get any compiled code at 64K to run.

Attached is some Doom BGM music code I did on the Atari Riff Machine (Very fun to write 2600 music on!).

I was testing for 64kSC. The music is in Bank 15.

Ran fine in Bank 7 @ 32k binary, but just black screen 64k binary. 

For some reason, I'm not able to compile any 64K projects at the moment, so I need to figure out why. I did notice code like this, though, in 4 places:

gosub MusicSetup0 thisbank

"thisbank" and "otherbank" are not used with gosub or goto statements, but only with return statements when needed. If you are doing a gosub or a goto into the same bank, you don't need to specify the bank at all.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Karl G said:

For some reason, I'm not able to compile any 64K projects at the moment, so I need to figure out why. I did notice code like this, though, in 4 places:

gosub MusicSetup0 thisbank

"thisbank" and "otherbank" are not used with gosub or goto statements, but only with return statements when needed. If you are doing a gosub or a goto into the same bank, you don't need to specify the bank at all.

Yes, I think I started trying any idea that came to mind when I added that.

Since you can't compile 64K either, I'm starting to wonder if it's a bB issue.

1 minute ago, TheMajorHavoc said:

Yes, I think I started trying any idea that came to mind when I added that.

Since you can't compile 64K either, I'm starting to wonder if it's a bB issue.

Well, it sounds like you *can* compile it, but it just gives you a blank screen, right? Sounds like a different issue.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Karl G said:

Well, it sounds like you *can* compile it, but it just gives you a blank screen, right? Sounds like a different issue.

Yes, sorry.  I can compile, the binary file is unusable

Edited by TheMajorHavoc

I looked into this for a while this afternoon.  When I downloaded the test64k.bas file into my older project directory, the compile worked but the binary did not work.  When I downloaded a fresh copy of bB 1.7 into a new folder, the compile and the binary worked fine. I could hear the sound effects (very nice, btw!).  

I did a folder comparison of my include file directories and the only difference was the score_graphics.asm file.  Copying the default score_graphics.asm file into my old project directory fixed the problem.  Looking at them, my older score_graphics.asm file did not have the necessary code at the beginning for 64k, the "if bankswitch == 64" section was missing.  If you have a modified score_graphics.asm file that could be it, as that file would be included in the build even if you're not using the score.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Karl G said:

@Karl G Found the issue! 64K option does not like my custom "score_graphics.asm" I had in my Project folder.

Now compiles with 2363 bytes of ROM space left in bank 16 and plays music!

Thanks for your help, I'm so happy it's not a bB issue :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Atarius Maximus said:

I looked into this for a while this afternoon.  When I downloaded the test64k.bas file into my older project directory, the compile worked but the binary did not work.  When I downloaded a fresh copy of bB 1.7 into a new folder, the compile and the binary worked fine. I could hear the sound effects (very nice, btw!).  

I did a folder comparison of my include file directories and the only difference was the score_graphics.asm file.  Copying the default score_graphics.asm file into my old project directory fixed the problem.  Looking at them, my older score_graphics.asm file did not have the necessary code at the beginning for 64k, the "if bankswitch == 64" section was missing.  If you have a modified score_graphics.asm file that could be it, as that file would be included in the build even if you're not using the score.

@Atarius Maximus Thanks man! That's definitely missing from my score graphics file.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2024 at 10:06 AM, Living Room Arcade said:

This is really nice!!

Is it alright to ask you questions about how you did it?

Absolutely!

Everything in a nutshell:

The map is 8 pixel tall, 32 wide playfield set with pfheights settings.
   it is plotted from level data statements.

The play area is 3x multiplexed player1 graphic loaded from data statements
  with assembly routines (faster!), using around 48 bytes of SC ram like a framebuffer.
  This "framebuffer" is cleared after every screen is drawn by an assembly routine.

This is all ran in the vertical blank, all game logic is ran in overscan

Resulting in something like a "pseudo" bitmapped display at 20hz (60hz ntsc / 3 ? please forgive my ignorance, experts please interject!).

Every asset is positioned in a level using 1 variable (level 2 chaingun location at 139 shown)

image.thumb.png.49300f0b103b9b820db32b99a2909f29.png

Edited by TheMajorHavoc
  • Thanks 2