IGNORED

Protector SE question

Edge

This is sort of a follow up of sorts to my Juggs question:

For Protector SE with JagFree CD, is JagFree CD a seperate

cart or does Protector SE have some sort of switch to select

CD vs. Protector SE mode? Or does Protector SE actually come

on CD (just thought of that possibility)?

Thanks,

Edge

Here's how it works:

Protector SE is a cartridge game. It should boot any Jaguar-compatible CD; you don't have to tell the cart to do this, it simply tries to spin up the CD if one is present. If it doesn't find a CD, or if the CD doesn't seem to work, then it starts the Prot SE game.

Also, you can hold a key (I believe it's Option) while booting Prot SE if you want to force it to ignore the CD and thus start Prot SE right away.

The reason a "CD bypass" cartridge like Prot SE is important is to allow new games to be published on unencrypted CDs (normally Jaguar CD games are encrypted and won't run on the Jaguar if not). BattleSphere Gold and the B&C Bypass Cart also have the ability to boot Jaguar CDs.

Here's how it works:

Protector SE is a cartridge game. It should boot any Jaguar-compatible CD; you don't have to tell the cart to do this, it simply tries to spin up the CD if one is present. If it doesn't find a CD, or if the CD doesn't seem to work, then it starts the Prot SE game.

Also, you can hold a key (I believe it's Option) while booting Prot SE if you want to force it to ignore the CD and thus start Prot SE right away.

The reason a "CD bypass" cartridge like Prot SE is important is to allow new games to be published on unencrypted CDs (normally Jaguar CD games are encrypted and won't run on the Jaguar if not). BattleSphere Gold and the B&C Bypass Cart also have the ability to boot Jaguar CDs.

Now THIS is a professional people! Notice how he is openly honest about other products being on the market along with his! Too bad all Jaguar developers aren't like Carl! This is the way too promote your product and not come off as a self-obsorbed, ego maniac with no ethics. :)

Now THIS is a professional people! Notice how he is openly honest about other products being on the market along with his! Too bad all Jaguar developers aren't like Carl! This is the way too promote your product and not come off as a self-obsorbed, ego maniac with no ethics. :)

My thoughts exactly.

Here's how it works:

this is the info that need to be in the Sticky: Jaguar Specification Thread :!:

Hello all!

this is the info that need to be in the Sticky: Jaguar Specification Thread  :!:

No, there was just two days ago an agreement settled that a sticky "Jaguar CD-Bypass" thread will be set up.

I am wondering why it was necessary just hours after this was discussed to raise up the "JUGS question for TBird"-thread and to keep it alive and why later this "ProtectorSE question"-thread was initiated.

The moderator asked for getting the necessary CD-Bypass-informations in private mails to avoid things like they just happened in these two mentioned new threads.

A conspiracy?

Of the moderators?

Of company A, followed by a counter-conspiracy of company B?

Or is it just that AtariAge is too chaotic organized too see the latest informations (or those required)?

Best regards

Matthias

I really don't think you desire to start a discussion of Jaguar Developer Ethics.

Hello all!

this is the info that need to be in the Sticky: Jaguar Specification Thread  :!:

No, there was just two days ago an agreement settled that a sticky "Jaguar CD-Bypass" thread will be set up.

I am wondering why it was necessary just hours after this was discussed to raise up the "JUGS question for TBird"-thread and to keep it alive and why later this "ProtectorSE question"-thread was initiated.

The moderator asked for getting the necessary CD-Bypass-informations in private mails to avoid things like they just happened in these two mentioned new threads.

A conspiracy?

Of the moderators?

Or is it just that AtariAge is too chaotic organized too see the latest informations (or those required)?

Best regards

Matthias

It's called a (set of) technical question(s) that anyone in the

know could have answered any blooming time they wished to.

I could give a Rat's A$$ who developed what and when, I just

wanted to know if Juggs contained a bypass cart (which the

Scatologic site left unanswered).

So if you want to get your panties in a wad about things, just

put up the basic facts about what carts/products do what in a

timely manner, and jerks like me won't have to ask obvious

but interesting questions.

Edge

That's probably because it's not a valid question. JUGS is a software/hardware package to allow people that already have a BS or BSG cart to put homebrew programs into RAM and run them. Battlesphere doesn't have a bypass program in the cart, but Battlesphere Gold does. The three are completely different products which is probably why this (rather esoteric) question isn't answered.

Confusion could arise because JUGS is provided as part of the package when you buy BSG. But JUGS has nothing to do with the bypass.

Bypass carts: buy one of

* Battlesphere Gold

* Protector SE

* B&C Bypass cart

and put it in the cart slot of your CD drive. Put your homebrew/unreleased CD in the drive. Turn the Jag on. The game plays.

That's it. No extra magic, no nothing. At the present time all of these carts are functionally identical in this regard.

Stone

I thought Juggs was included as an easter egg in the first Battlesphere? :?

The driver code is in both versions, but to make use of it with the original version you needed to buy a kit containing a cable adapter and PC software to communicate with the easter egg.

Those items were included for free in the second version of that game.

That's probably because it's not a valid question. JUGS is a software/hardware package to allow people that already have a BS or BSG cart to put homebrew programs into RAM and run them. Battlesphere doesn't have a bypass program in the cart, but Battlesphere Gold does. The three are completely different products which is probably why this (rather esoteric) question isn't answered.

Confusion could arise because JUGS is provided as part of the package when you buy BSG. But JUGS has nothing to do with the bypass.

Bypass carts: buy one of

* Battlesphere Gold

* Protector SE

* B&C Bypass cart

and put it in the cart slot of your CD drive. Put your homebrew/unreleased CD in the drive. Turn the Jag on. The game plays.

That's it. No extra magic, no nothing. At the present time all of these carts are functionally identical in this regard.

Stone

A clear concise answer. Thank you.

Since it was included with Battlesphere Gold (and I didn't

know it worked with Battlesphere (original), I thought

just maybe they made a stand-alone cart for J.U.G.S.™,

why else would you bother selling it?

Thanks,

Edge

Carl, do you know a John Getchel, or am I getting

your name confused with someone else?

Sorry, you've got me confused with somebody else. :)

Thanks for the reply. I thought your location made it doubtful,

but the question wouldn't leave my mind.

Edge

That's probably because it's not a valid question.

Stone

Btw: Who died and left you arbiter of valid questions? :P It was a valid question because I did not know the answer and asked it honestly having no hidden objective.

Edge

Hello Edge!

A conspiracy?

Of the moderators?

Best regards

Matthias

It's called a (set of) technical question(s) that anyone in the

know could have answered any blooming time they wished to.

So if you want to get your panties in a wad about things, just

put up the basic facts about what carts/products do what in a

timely manner, and jerks like me won't have to ask obvious

but interesting questions.

Edge

Sorry that you got me wrong (at least it seems to be the case).

One of the advantages of the AtariAge-messageboard is that

a counter of the messages posted by a member is listed under each message. This allows a (perhaps weak) assumption how experienced

a poster with the Atari-topics is. Your counter was 14 when i wrote my message and it was obvious for me (and the way you asked about

JUGS and ProtSE supported this) that you really were in need for some support.

So i didn't say "Edge is too dumb to search and to understand informations!"

It was obvious that you weren't able to get the desired informations

before, probably you had even looked on the companies websites

but these don't provide the desired informations for you.

And probably you aren't the only one which was left frustrated

after visiting the product-websites.

My message was intented to make some people think about this situation.

- The people who are responsible to present their products in a way that people understand how they can use them.

- The people (perhaps including myself) who don't focus on the asked question but start lengthy debates about the character of the involved developers. Or give lengthy explanations why they can't explain the problem.

Best regards

Matthias

PS: If you have visited the Songbirds and Scatologic-websites and haven't found the desired information there, then did you consider to use one of the "Mail us"-buttons?

Btw: Who died and left you arbiter of valid questions?  :P  It was a valid question because I did not know the answer and asked it honestly having no hidden objective.

I just meant it made no sense ;)

JUGS is a program in BS and BSG which, as T-bird said, needs a cable/adaptor to connect between the PC and the JUGS program. Asking if JUGS contained a bypass cart made no sense, 'cos JUGS is a program which obviously can't have a piece of hardware hiding in it :lol:

Guess I was just in a bad move earlier, sorry about that :wink:

Stone

I wasn't exactly "sunshine and lollipops" either. ;)

I was confused by this from the Scatologic order page:

J.U.G.S.™ (Jaguar Unmodified Game Server) is the complete hardware and software package to get you up and running with the server utility built into BattleSphere™!

I concentrated on the "complete hardware and software package"

insted of the "server utility built into BattleSphere™!", which as

I said, I did not know was built into Battlesphere Classic.

Thanks,

Edge

I thought Juggs was included as an easter egg in the first Battlesphere? :?

The driver code is in both versions, but to make use of it with the original version you needed to buy a kit containing a cable adapter and PC software to communicate with the easter egg.

Those items were included for free in the second version of that game.

It appears to be you may be talking about using JUGGS to develope on the Jaguar with. What if you just want to use the original Battlesphere as a CD bypass?

What if you just want to use the original Battlesphere as a CD bypass?

Then you have to use JUGS to upload the ram-based bypass program. But a bypass program is built into the BSG cart so you don't have to do anything extra, or use a PC whenever you want to load an unencrypted CD game.

Stone

What if you just want to use the original Battlesphere as a CD bypass?

Then you have to use JUGS to upload the ram-based bypass program. But a bypass program is built into the BSG cart so you don't have to do anything extra, or use a PC whenever you want to load an unencrypted CD game.

Stone

Correct:

With the second version of the game it's all built-in.

With the first version, you need to load a program into RAM using your PC and then run it.

:D