IGNORED

Skyward Sword HD

Razzie.P

I know this game is nearly as divisive as politics, religion, and Amico, but anyone playing,  or has finished playing this?  I finished it today, and  thought it was fantastic.   May be my favorite 3D Zelda, but I’d need to play Windwaker again to be sure.   Combat with the motion controls was the most fun I’ve ever had fighting in a Zelda game.  I tried the “button only” option for a couple of hours, and it drained all enjoyment I was having, so went back to motion.

I’m not a big Zelda fan, overall* , so if they crapped on the lore or something, I wouldn’t know or care, but it’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed playing a game this much, to the point where I “make time” to play, rather than my usual “play when I have a bit of time.”

*I’ve played them all, finished all except  Breath of the Wild, and liked most of them -- but the only ones that I’ve really, really loved have been Zelda 2, Minish Cap, Windwaker, and now Skyward Sword.

• Like 2

Been playing the original Wii version. I want to play SSHD in the future though. The game looks absolutely beautiful, although 60fps looks rather odd when watching gameplay videos of it. It also feels like it runs just a hair faster?

But yeah, it's a really fun game, for the most part. I despise a few parts though, particularly the bit where Faron decides she want to be an annoying bitch and makes me collect three thousand Tadtones before she teaches you her part of the Song of the Hero. I hate it. I HATE IT.

I've never had much problem with motion controls on Wii, so I wonder what kind of improvements the Switch offers in that regard.

• Like 1

I was recently in the middle of this game on the WiiU, but got distracted by other things. I think it's the last main Zelda game that I need to re/beat before BotW2 comes out, aside from the Oracle games (I think?), Link Between Worlds, and maybe some of the multiplayer games (OH! and maybe the Hyrule Warriors games!).

I need to get back into it.

I liked it a lot back when it came out...the controls are awesome, the soundtrack is super awesome, and I miss a lot of the stuff that didn't make it into BotW (like swimming cuccos, bowling with bombs, knocking over watch towers, DOUBLE HOOKSHOT, not having to move the camera manually, etc.)

I'm not sure about the HD version...I've heard mixed reviews, and it's by the same team that did Twilight Princess HD. Playing the game in high-res would be nice, but not for $60, and in the videos it looks like the shader effects are gone or way toned down (the "sparkly" kind of effect that made everything look a little extra dreamy). Idunno, maybe I'm wrong.

6 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I tried the “button only” option for a couple of hours, and it drained all enjoyment I was having, so went back to motion.

Yeah, I feel like "button only" mode is just going to make Joycons wear out faster.

...if they crapped on the lore or something, I wouldn’t know or care...

Idunno, there isn't really much "lore"...every game is kind of its own story. The characters are different, but it's always the same actors, if you know what I mean.

Or maybe the characters are the same, but the actors are different??

...the only ones that I’ve really, really loved have been Zelda 2, Minish Cap, Windwaker, and now Skyward Sword.

Weird, most people absolutely hate Zelda 2.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluejay said:

Been playing the original Wii version. I want to play SSHD in the future though. The game looks absolutely beautiful, although 60fps looks rather odd when watching gameplay videos of it. It also feels like it runs just a hair faster?

But yeah, it's a really fun game, for the most part. I despise a few parts though, particularly the bit where Faron decides she want to be an annoying bitch and makes me collect three thousand Tadtones before she teaches you her part of the Song of the Hero. I hate it. I HATE IT.

I've never had much problem with motion controls on Wii, so I wonder what kind of improvements the Switch offers in that regard.

Yeah, that was odd.  I didn't hate it, but it really felt a bit out of sorts considering the others didn't pull that crap.  

I've always been a bit irked at the NPC mentality of "ooh... you're the one who's gonna save us all from imminent doom?  I can help you, but only after (crap side quest here)"

8 hours ago, Asaki said:

Weird, most people absolutely hate Zelda 2.

Yep.  Zelda 2 and Simon's Quest, two of my favorites in their respective series (and the reasons I got a NES as a kid) and found out later in life that they cause a bit of friction among the fanbase.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Asaki said:

Idunno, there isn't really much "lore"...every game is kind of its own story. The characters are different, but it's always the same actors, if you know what I mean.

Or maybe the characters are the same, but the actors are different??

Every Zelda is a descendant of one another, all originating from SS Zelda (and probably Link ?), hence “the blood of the goddess”. 

Each Links are all different people, generally being motivated by something to go on a quest which eventually makes him a hero. Hence the “spirit of the hero”.

Every Ganon(dorf) is the same person/pig, killed and resurrected, sealed and freed over and over again.

3 hours ago, bluejay said:

Each Links are all different people, generally being motivated by something to go on a quest which eventually makes him a hero.

Not every Link ;) Obviously, Wind Waker Link and Phantom Hourglass Link are the same Link.

Some of the other games too, but I can't remember exactly which ones off the top of my head...it gets a little confusing sometimes, and I feel that it's best not to think about it too much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Asaki said:

Not every Link ;) Obviously, Wind Waker Link and Phantom Hourglass Link are the same Link.

Some of the other games too, but I can't remember exactly which ones off the top of my head...it gets a little confusing sometimes, and I feel that it's best not to think about it too much.

Yeah, they’re the same Link. Some games feature the same Link. 

To clarify, I didn’t say every Zelda game had a different Link. Every Link is different. 

Oh, and of course, the only exception is TP Link being a direct descendant of OoT Link. 

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1