Here my faves:

Asteroids

Centipede

Dig Dug

Galaga

Xevious

Food Fight

Commando

Ballblazer (Great if you have a friend or a brother)

Fatal Run

Choplifter

Pole Position II

Robotron 2084 (Plug in 2 joysticks and you can play it like the arcade version)

Ms. Pac-Man

Crossbow (It's better if you get a light gun)

And by all means, avoid Karateka!

What types of games do you like?

If you like arcade classics, many would recommend JOUST, FOOD FIGHT, XEVIOUS, and MS PAC MAN.

If you like RPG's, best look at another system.

If you like adventure games, I'd recommend TOWER TOPPLER, MIDNIGHT MUTANTS, COMMANDO, ALIEN BRIGADE, SCRAPYARD DOG and IKARI WARRIORS.

If you like strategy titles, I'd recommend BALLBLAZER, KLAX and SUPER SKATEBOARDIN'

Sports games aren't all that strong on the system. I liked a few though: MEAN 18 ULTIMATE GOLF, BASKETBRAWL, SUMMER GAMES AND WINTER GAMES.

There's also a bunch of flight simulators on the system, but none of them are my "thing". To be honest, I've never liked console flight simulators much.

A lot of the 7800 titles are kind of mediocre. There are a couple that I absolutely recommend avoiding entirely though ...

KARATEKA: As others have mentioned, it has about the worst joystick control in the history of gaming.

TITLE MATCH PRO WRESTLING: This is actually quite a rare game (I used to own it, but sold it in 1996 and am in no rush to get it back) but definitely not worth the price. MAT MANIA CHALLENGE isn't a great wrestling title, but much better than this.

IMPOSSIBLE MISSION: The game is actually quite fun, but a bug in it literally makes it impossible to beat. It's also pretty rare and quite expensive.

FIGHT NIGHT: I found watching paint dry to be more fun than this title. Slow, ugly, and surprisingly easy to beat.

Some others have varying degrees of hatred for certain games. JINKS is often despised ... I don't actually mind it though. Others pick on DONKEY KONG and DONKEY KONG JR because of their annoying sound, but the games are fun, IMO.

i have no problems with the karateka controls

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Wow - I guess there is someone out there who likes the challenge of fighting games where you tap the joystick and watch the fighter respond two seconds later!

As for me, I find the controls of KARATEKA are ... well ...

:x :x :x :x :x

RAGE INDUCING

Oww.

I'm sure my controllers work fine, once I tested them with a different game.

Now, I only have the cart, no instructions or box. I could get my guy (in white) to move foward, only, and with a bit of a delay (~3/4 second). one hit from the bad guy and it was "The End". WTF?!? I couldn't get my guy to attack, when near the bad guy. I got my guy to kick and punch (using up and down stick), but he refused to do it near the bad guy... or I was dead before I could after the 1 hit.

Either I am playing this game wrong, or it is a train wreck of a game.

Actually,you can find the instructions here at AtariAge or at my web site.

But your problem sounds like that you aren't changing out of run mode to fight mode. Press the secondary button and he will go into a kung fu stance, then you can fight the other guy. After you defeat him switch back to run mode to exit the screen.

Mitch

dude i dont know what everyone is talking about, they work just fine for me, it does not "respond 2 seconds later" like evryone said, they are perfect and responsive for me, and yes im sure im using a 7800, so i dont know what yall are talkin bout....

Maybe try Karateka on a different system to compare.

I first played it on the Apple II, then the C64 and Atari XL. Got the 7800 version 'cause I 'wanted to play this great computer game' and didn't have a computer. Was I disappointed. Maybe it's not so bad if you didn't know what to expect. I know I hate it ...