IGNORED

Hanimex

Advanced programmable video system 1392

I picked one up today. Anyone know anything about this?

Everything is connected to the system, all hookups and joysticks

The joysticks are non-centering with keypads.

It came with 4 games:

Invaders

Electronic pinball

Air/sea attack

Olympics

I picked one up today. Anyone know anything about this?

Hanimex is how the Emerson Arcadia 2001 was known around here. Later on, still in Italy, it was branded again as "Leonardo" by a local toys distributor.

Regards!

Rasty.-

Happy dude

Hanimex released loads of consoles here in Australia. The majority are just pong clones with 10 built in games. They did make the arcadia 2001 and just called it hmg2650, This machine looks identical to the arcadia 2001, the only change is the label. Im not sure whether hanimex ever did any other arcadia clone? do the graphics look ultra crap? or like an arcadia 2001. I did own the pre arcadia hanimex,

I have the hmg2650 which gets alot of playtime

The HMG 1392 is compatible with machines like the Acetronic, Prinztronic or Radofin. It's a predecessor to the Arcadia 2001. It's based on an older I/O chip by Signetics with much weaker graphics capabilities.

I wouldn't call this or the HMG 2650 a clone of another machine though. It's more a licensing deal similar to that of the 3DO consoles in the 1990s. Signetics had develloped the 2650 CPU and an I/O chip that could handle graphics, sound, controllers and RAM. So they designed a prototype board for a simple video game system around the two chips and wrote some demo games for it. Since Signetics was owned by Philips, which also owned Magnavox, Philips went and offered the design to those companies, that had properly licensed the Magnavox patents for their Pong type consoles.

Designing the actual console and the cartridges was left to the licensees. This is why there are so many Signetics based consoles, that are functionally identical, but have different cartridges, like the Interton VC4000. This also explains why some of the games are available for all those consoles while others are limited to only some of them.

The Arcadia 2001 and the HMG 2650 use the 2650 CPU too, but have a much improved I/O chip. I think the reason why both consoles are almost identical is because both, Emmerson and Hanimex, were just distributing a version of the Signetics console that was designed and manufactured by the same company (maybe UA Ltd.?).

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Is there a FAQ anywhere that explains the compatibility between all these different consoles? I have a small collection (okay, only 4) of Canadian Leisure-Vision cartridges... will these work without trouble in an Arcadia 2001?

--Zero

There's a Yahoo Group about it, and I think there's a compatibility FAQ in there, though I'm not sure it goes into things like tight fit... Ward Shrake figured a lot of this out, so there might be compatibility notes in his Digital Press Collectors Guide intro too.

Well, Digital Press does have a FAQ here (Warning, the site was recently mentioned on Slashdot, so it's quite slow at the moment). It has a decent amount of foreign information in it, but doesn't seem to mention a lot about compatability (It seems to say that they are ALL compatible). I thought I remembered seeing a better listing of compatibility at some point (even going so far as to modify cartridges so that they would fit in other systems), but I don't remember where I saw it :(

--Zero