IGNORED

Tandy Remote Disk

KG7PFS

On page 43 of the 1987 Tandy Computer Catalog RSC-17, under "Model 100 Software" there is a description of the program "Remote Disk". It allows the Model 100 to use the model 1/II/III/4/12/2000/Color Computer disk drive for model 100 storage. It came with a disk ("A disk?" There would have to have been at least three) and a tape for $59.95.

Was this program vaporware? If it was released, why have I never heard about it, except in the catalog? Why only for the 100? Was something similar available for the 200? Did the CoCo version use OS-9 or DECB?

This sounds suspiciously like an idea that never became a product. In addition to the software (presumably needed for both computers), there would need to be a full set of cables -- which would significantly increase the price of the package. I cannot imagine how the the cost of developing software for TRS-DOS (multiple flavours)/MS-DOS/DECB/Xenix would ever be justified or recouped considering the extremely niche nature of this product. 

I also have no idea how someone would physically connect a Model 100 to the Coco; given that the disk drive occupies the cartridge port, the only connectivity options would be the cassette port and the serial port. Both choices would be painfully slow for external storage (the cassette port runs at 1500 baud; the serial port is limited to 1200 baud, IIRC). 

I have seen two references to Remote Disk being offered for sale. Once in an old Ebay auction for a complete Model 100 plus accessories and the other the offer of a manual plus cassette over on the CCTECH mailing list. If you want to see a picture of the cover of the manual, see http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/50669/TRS-80-Remote-Disk/ 

I don't find it that hard to believe. The PCSG offered DISK+ which did the same thing over serial port to the IBM PC, Apple II, Kaypro and other CP/M machines, and what is listed as "all Radio Shack computers." I don't have a copy of Remote Disk but I could see Tandy offering a Tandy exclusive subset of the package. 

Edited by Krebizfan
Found a picture

21 hours ago, KG7PFS said:

RS-232 Pack.

Yes, I had one, but how do you run it concurrently with the disk drive since they both occupy the same connector.

I realise that someone could buy a MPI, but adding that and the RS-232 pack would start to get very expensive -- especially of the goal is just to have mass storage for the Model 100.  

I suppose someone could have owned both a fully-expanded Coco setup and a Model 100, but that seems like a very tiny market niche to go after, especially in 1987 when PCs were starting to dominate the marketplace. (Personally, I effectively moved on from the Coco -- other than gaming -- in 1988 when I started University and I needed a PC for assignments.) 

The Computing History website lists the Remote Disk as being a product of 1984 which matches its having support for Tandy models with disks prior to the Tandy 1000. In 1987, it was merely carried on the catalog thanks to Radio Shack's reluctance to run clearance sales. Remote Disk and the various similar products seemed rather limited in utility since that requires tethering the Model 100 to another computer. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 10:27 AM, Krebizfan said:

Remote Disk and the various similar products seemed rather limited in utility since that requires tethering the Model 100 to another computer.

I would say just the opposite. The 100 series was designed by Tandy as a portable extention of a desktop, not as a desktop replacement. This seems like a very efficient way to get mobile data to the desktop. I'd compare it to the sync apps used more recently with handheld and pocket PCs and phones. You could still use a portable disk drive or tape when you're not at home.

So does anyone know of a similar product for the 200 and OS-9?

The last issues of Portable 100 had ads indicating that Disk+ was available for the M200. I don't know if OS-9 is among the supported ends. Try contacting Tri-Mike Network East for information. The TMNE website hasn't been updating for a decade though. 

TSDOS worked with the Model 200 but needs a PC compatible on the other end. There were also PDD emulators which should work with the Model 200. It is probably possible to create a PDD emulator that runs on OS-9 but all the ones I know of used a PC compatible.