IGNORED

BennVenn LCD (IPS) Mod Kits for Atari Lynx - now sold on K-Retro.com

Igor

On 10/27/2022 at 4:34 AM, DarkLord said:

Okay, I finally got around to taking my Lynx apart. Looks like I have the most

common motherboard so I ordered the BennVenn screen kit and the USB power

adapter mod.

Really looking forward to playing Eye Of The Beholder on an modern screen!

I did have one question which I couldn't seem to resolve from the website. When

you do the USB power adapter mod, can you still use the batteries or does it bypass

that altogether?

Thanks, and thanks for continuing to support the Atari Lynx community - appreciated.  :)

Thanks for your purchase! The USB mod bypasses the entire 9V circuit so you can still use batteries, just don't have it connected to USB at the same time.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Thanks for your purchase! The USB mod bypasses the entire 9V circuit so you can still use batteries, just don't have it connected to USB at the same time.

Got it, thanks for the reply - really, really, looking forward to getting all this cool stuff installed.  :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

IPS kit arrived today and I am blown away!  I would have never imagined that was lurking inside my 1980s handheld that I've owned for over 3 decades.  That old screen was the equivalent of 50 year old, dry rotted bias ply tires on a Lamborghini.

I don't even need to have my bifocals on to play it anymore! 😎

My camera doesn't do it justice.  

lynx.jpg.c4daf873bb0c6acac5e46f0cc66ca004.jpg

lynx4.jpg.c10375f8ad90ac1cb3be1cd346b5f3f9.jpg

Before.  And this was after a cap kit and new old stock screen.

lynx3.jpg.cfa96ec0204a53b1c024128dea34b58d.jpg

Edited by Turbo-Torch
  • Like 1

Just received mine.

It's really day and night, compared to before.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that both horizontal & vertical scanlines are available.

Also, on the current revision, a regular press on the backlight button changes the display mode, it's no longer needed to hold it.

That also means it no longer affects the brightness, so it doesn't interfere with the wheel at all.

The LCD i received does however display garbage for a split second when the device is turned on, but that's totally negated by the overall quality and features.

Big thanks to bennvenn and k-retro =]

2 hours ago, xhul said:

Just received mine.

It's really day and night, compared to before.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that both horizontal & vertical scanlines are available.

Also, on the current revision, a regular press on the backlight button changes the display mode, it's no longer needed to hold it.

That also means it no longer affects the brightness, so it doesn't interfere with the wheel at all.

The LCD i received does however display garbage for a split second when the device is turned on, but that's totally negated by the overall quality and features.

Big thanks to bennvenn and k-retro =]

IPS revision 3, for the record.

4 hours ago, xhul said:

At first I didn't realize it had the option of scanline cycling through the backlight button, I thought adding the wire committed you to scanlines all the time.  Also love that it turns off the backlight so it stays true to the original function too.

4 hours ago, xhul said:

Hmm. 🤔  Mine shows a perfect black/white checkerboard.

10 hours ago, Turbo-Torch said:

At first I didn't realize it had the option of scanline cycling through the backlight button, I thought adding the wire committed you to scanlines all the time.  Also love that it turns off the backlight so it stays true to the original function too.

Apparently, mode 4 (backlight off) is actually the VGA output redirection.

Also, though it's not exactly useful, i just discovered that a long press resets the mode to the default (mode 1 - no scanlines).

10 hours ago, Turbo-Torch said:

Hmm. 🤔  Mine shows a perfect black/white checkerboard.

Interesting.

If you have the IPS V1 Rev3 as well, i guess that means the display at boot may vary depending on the lynx model and revision or something.

There also seems to be the possibility to set up an on-screen low battery indicator, though i have no idea where to solder the wire.

Anyway, i doubt a lot of us use actual batteries.

Edited by xhul

4 hours ago, xhul said:

Apparently, mode 4 (backlight off) is actually the VGA output redirection.

Also, though it's not exactly useful, i just discovered that a long press resets the mode to the default (mode 1 - no scanlines).

VGA out makes sense.  If any detailed info exists on this IPS kit, I've yet to find it.  I just went by the rev.6 install guide.

4 hours ago, xhul said:

Interesting.

If you have the IPS V1 Rev3 as well, i guess that means the display at boot may vary depending on the lynx model and revision or something.

There also seems to be the possibility to set up an on-screen low battery indicator, though i have no idea where to solder the wire.

Anyway, i doubt a lot of us use actual batteries.

I didn't take photos, but I'm almost certain that was the revision printed on my kit too.

I mostly use the ElCheapoSD, but tried some regular games to see how it boots and still had the nice checkerboard.

On-screen low battery indicator would be interesting, but kind of redundant.  The power LED still flashes when the batteries are low.  I've always used rechargeables in mine, currently NiMH.  I hoping upwards of 10 hours is now possible.  

The coloured garbage on the screen is normal at boot up, it's just showing the contents of the memory at that instant and it takes a moment for it to be cleared.

The black and white checkerboard pattern is normal too - this is the behaviour from a slightly different chip that's onboard the latest batch of kits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Igor said:

The coloured garbage on the screen is normal at boot up, it's just showing the contents of the memory at that instant and it takes a moment for it to be cleared.

The black and white checkerboard pattern is normal too - this is the behaviour from a slightly different chip that's onboard the latest batch of kits.

Thanks a lot for the clarification =]

By any chance, do you know if the PCBs have the same version|revision numbers?

Also, does that new chip have any additional purpose (aside from the checkerboard display)?

20 hours ago, xhul said:

Thanks a lot for the clarification =]

By any chance, do you know if the PCBs have the same version|revision numbers?

Also, does that new chip have any additional purpose (aside from the checkerboard display)?

The revision numbers are the same on the PCBs so there's no way to tell physically.

It's not a new chip, it's just a slightly different FPGA and memory controller. The garbage vs checkerboard pattern is due to how the memory controller handles initialisation.

22 minutes ago, Igor said:

The revision numbers are the same on the PCBs so there's no way to tell physically.

It's not a new chip, it's just a slightly different FPGA and memory controller. The garbage vs checkerboard pattern is due to how the memory controller handles initialisation.

I see, thanks for your time =]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi there

i did a powermod in my lynx II and installed the benvenn ips.

when i start the console, it goes directly into the "backlight-off" modus.

i dont know why i allways have to push the backlight button after i power it up ?

another problem is, that i can not power off the console.

any suggestions ?

(sorry, for my bad english)

I'm not sure about the back light off mode...

In my case, after installing the power mod (USB) I bought a cable

that has the on/off switch on it. Then I can easily turn the Lynx on

and off with that.

Cool stuff.   :)

This is the one I bought from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B66ZJ6NF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1+

7 hours ago, turntablism said:

hi there

i did a powermod in my lynx II and installed the benvenn ips.

when i start the console, it goes directly into the "backlight-off" modus.

i dont know why i allways have to push the backlight button after i power it up ?

another problem is, that i can not power off the console.

any suggestions ?

(sorry, for my bad english)

I would verify the soldering of the backlight wire, on the motherboard's side.

If there's an unwanted contact there, that could explain why the off button doesn't behave properly.

21 minutes ago, turntablism said:

I bought the screen that not requires soldering. 

Ah, ok, i thought you had soldered the scanlines wire anyway, my bad.

Another question then, didn't you forget to remove the L17 coil?

Cause even with the solderless kit, that's required: https://atarigamer.com/articles/bennvenn-rev6-lcd-mod-kit-for-atari-lynx-with-brightness-wheel-control#l17coil

EDIT: It seems the coil is still there on your photo, that's at least a part of the problem.

Edited by xhul