IGNORED

getting started with Intybasic. getting a jvintv error it seems while following the book

I'm just getting started.  i'm on chapter 2 of Oscar's book I saw it says "OSX 10.6 or greater" I'm not not sure that really means all the way to 10.14.6 as I've found some OSX software from that era doesn't work in later versions..  

Should I just use parallels and if so would I be better off using Windows XP or Windows 10 (I have both via parallels) 

I'm going to be following the book but before I get too deep into it, I'm just making sure I'm not walking into a non working scenario from the get go.  

Also, just in asking, if someone has done anything more visual / video based on how to setup intybasic / compiling a hello world, I'd love to check it out.  If not I'm likely going to try my hand at making something once I figure out this command line stuff.  

Edited by Caleb Garner

OK so i got this far into things before i hit a wall..  everything seems to have compiled but i had trouble with the emulator.  I'm following the book:

according to the book if i read it right, i only had to copy over two files for mac:

as1600 and jzintv.  there are a lot of other files in the izintv emulator folder so i imagine maybe i misread or missed something else i have to copy over.  

very excited to see this almost working! 

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 8.57.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.00.47 PM.png

Edited by Caleb Garner

You need the SDL library.

https://www.libsdl.org

Depending on the version of the emulator, you need either 1.2 or 2.0.  If you got the latest version, then download SDL 2.0.

You could check out the IntyBASIC SDK, which provides all you need in a neat package ...

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/240526-introducing-the-intybasic-sdk/

Edited by DZ-Jay

Ah ok @DZ-Jay that was it!  I saw your Read me and i see that this framework has to be dragged into the library/frameworks folder.. now the emulator runs   

I wish that had not been left out of the book.  i knew it seemed weird that the windows instructions talked about dlls and such while linux and mac didn't have any of that mentioned some dll equivalent.  

Edited by Caleb Garner

6 minutes ago, Caleb Garner said:

Ah ok @DZ-Jay that was it!  I saw your Read me and i see that this framework has to be dragged into the library/frameworks folder.. now it compiles!   

I wish that had not been left out of the book.  i knew it seemed weird that the windows instructions talked about dlls and such while linux and mac didn't have any of that mentioned some dll equivalent.  

By the way, if you are using the SDK, the command "intytest" will compile, assemble, and then run the emulator with the debugger enabled, all in one go.

dZ.

that's awesome too.  i'm going to check it out closer.  for now i was just trying to stay as close to the book as possible.  but once i start working more on my own it will be great to have this sdk!  i'll definitely go through it more now that i got this basic stuff working!  :)

EDIT: when i said compiles i should have said emulator launches.  as the compiling / assembling of the code worked all along it was just a step needed to get the emulator to run.  

Edited by Caleb Garner

48 minutes ago, Caleb Garner said:

that's awesome too.  i'm going to check it out closer.  for now i was just trying to stay as close to the book as possible.  but once i start working more on my own it will be great to have this sdk!  i'll definitely go through it more now that i got this basic stuff working!  :)

EDIT: when i said compiles i should have said emulator launches.  as the compiling / assembling of the code worked all along it was just a step needed to get the emulator to run.  

Well, actually, the intention is the opposite:  the SDK makes it easy to set up the environment, keeping everything organized, and simplifies the tasks of running the compiler, assembler, and emulator.  It also sets up the debugger symbol table and IntyBASIC mapping, so that you can get source-level details in the debugger.

The book shows you how to do the work by hand, typing the commands on the terminal console, and dealing with the dependencies manually -- which is fine if that's what you're into (and some people are).  Personally, I rather have the tools do the work for me, but that's just my preference. ;)

Other than that, it's the same compiler, assembler, and emulator, just wrapped up in a neat package with tools that facilitate their use.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

I think when i say "stay close to the book" its mostly because i'm so new to all this i'm trying to stay as literal as possible, but yes i definitely am not into doing things like this by hand in the long term..  for me it's a bit of a "wax on wax off" time of just doing things slowly and precisely as the book instructs as i begin to see the matrix and figure out ways to make new things built on what i've learned.