IGNORED

Controller problem

ElCid95

Recently I bought a 5200 that wasn't working (boots to black screen) and was able to figure out (with some help) that two of the RAM chips were bad.  After that, the console boots up, however both my controllers don't work.  I've tried multiple games and even the Atarimax Ultimate SD Multicart.  One thing I did notice is when the Atarimax Ultimate SD Multicart is running and listing all the games on it, I hear a repeating beeping noise.  When I put in all the other games I hear no sound, although I'm not sure if there is any until the buttons are pressed.

Okay, the AMax menu giving you a constant beeping means that the controller calibration likely on the console itself might be out of whack. That beeping noise is the noise it makes as you move up and down in the menu. So it is registering a controller movement. if you don't see it actually moving, that means it is registering a constant 'up' motion most likely.

Now, it would be that the Pokey trimmer inside the console needs to be adjusted for this, or it could indicate a problem with one or more of the 4052 MUX chips inside the console that handle the controller readings.

But if you want to see if the easy fix will work first, then take the cover off the console and try moving the small trimmer near the RF cable in the lower right of the main board to see if it makes a difference. Keep note of where it was located first before you start trying to adjust that however.

Again, if not change, then it could indicate one or more of the 4052s have also gone bad and need to be replaced. Pretty common for those to get knackered due to ESD similar to the colecovision controllers.

• 2 months later...

I adjusted the trimmer and it didn't have any effect.  Also I changed out all of the 4052's and put in new socketed chips but that didn't fix the problem.  I unplugged both my controllers and the console scrolled down to the bottom of the list of games and made the same beeping noise.  I wonder if they POKEY chip is the cause of this problem...

You can check to make sure your controllers are good with a multimeter - check the resistance between pins 9 and 10 and 9 and 11 of your controllers. You should see between 0 ohm and 500k ohm resistance as you move the joystick around its limits. You should have ~250 Kohm with the stick in the middle. 

Atari 5200 FAQ -- 5200 Controller Pinout (atarihq.com)

It is totally normal and expected for the AtariMax cart to beep if you are using a controller that is too far out of spec.

Edited by 8bitAndy

1 hour ago, ElCid95 said:

I adjusted the trimmer and it didn't have any effect.  Also I changed out all of the 4052's and put in new socketed chips but that didn't fix the problem.  I unplugged both my controllers and the console scrolled down to the bottom of the list of games and made the same beeping noise.  I wonder if they POKEY chip is the cause of this problem...

If you aren't seeing any change at all when adjusting the trimmer, it could very well be the pokey but I've not heard of one failing to such an extent. Also, the Amax cart will scroll down and constantly beep without a controller attached and that is completely normal. It is because it can't sense a controller plugged in and is getting a reading that is infinitely in the down position so the cursor just moves down and keeps moving down hence the constant beeping.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:18 PM, 8bitAndy said:

You can check to make sure your controllers are good with a multimeter - check the resistance between pins 9 and 10 and 9 and 11 of your controllers. You should see between 0 ohm and 500k ohm resistance as you move the joystick around its limits. You should have ~250 Kohm with the stick in the middle. 

Atari 5200 FAQ -- 5200 Controller Pinout (atarihq.com)

It is totally normal and expected for the AtariMax cart to beep if you are using a controller that is too far out of spec.

I'm getting weird readings on both controllers.  Sometimes it is around 250 in the middle and then in the 300-400's on the limits, other times its 2-3k ohms or 1m ohms.  It seems like it has a mind of its own...

1 hour ago, ElCid95 said:

I'm getting weird readings on both controllers.  Sometimes it is around 250 in the middle and then in the 300-400's on the limits, other times its 2-3k ohms or 1m ohms.  It seems like it has a mind of its own...

The pots in the controllers may be dirty, but that shouldn't cause the AtariMax menu to be totally unresponsive.

Do you have the service manual?

ATARI CX5200 Service Manual, revision Jun 83 (atarimania.com)

Edited by 8bitAndy

16 minutes ago, ElCid95 said:

I have an electronic copy of the service manual.  What do you suggest I try?  I've used my multimeter to check the ohms when I press the buttons and am getting and open link on both controllers when I check the various buttons.

I have some experience with bad controller pots and the AtariMax menu, but I've never worked on the console itself.

• 2 months later...