IGNORED

Activision Anthology for GBA Announced

Albert

There are no Imagic titles on the GBA Activision Anthology. However, I can list the homebrew games that are included:  

- Climber 5  

- Euchre  

- Okie Dokie  

- Oystron  

- Skeleton+  

- Space Treat Deluxe  

- Vault Assault

Go Climber 5! So...does this mean certain covers and comics will be included in the manual? ;)

Man, between this, Advance Wars 1 + 2 and WarioWare, by GB Player is going to be permanantly on.

Go Climber 5! So...does this mean certain covers and comics will be included in the manual?   ;)  

Manuals for all the games are included, but due to space limitations they are not the full graphical representations of manuals. As the version of Climber 5 we'll be selling in the AtariAge store isn't quite done yet, the manual that we'll be accompanying with the game isn't quite done yet either. The version of Climber 5 included with the GBA Anthology is the public version Dennis released a while back..

Man, between this, Advance Wars 1 + 2 and WarioWare, by GB Player is going to be permanantly on.

I recently (finally) picked up a GBA SP to replace my plain GBA, and it's time for me to pick up all three of the games mentioned above. :) :) Don't have a GBA Player just yet..

..Al

Yep...there are no Imagic titles in the collection. Yes, I know it sucks, but there were some licensing and legal issues that simply could not be worked out, so we had to remove them. Don't worry though, there are still plenty of games to keep everybody busy. The latest build is looking great, and we're taking lots of time to make sure there are enough features to make you all happy! :)

is it just me, or is anyone else super excited at the fact that this is the first mainstream commercial release of homebrew 2600 games. Its the same feeling as seeing that little great band that played at the local bar get national airplay. This WILL bring an even bigger interest into the homebrew scene and market, the only question is what degree :)

Yep...there are no Imagic titles in the collection.  Yes, I know it sucks, but there were some licensing and legal issues that simply could not be worked out, so we had to remove them.  Don't worry though, there are still plenty of games to keep everybody busy.  The latest build is looking great, and we're taking lots of time to make sure there are enough features to make you all happy! :)

All I'm gonna say is that I hope the sequel will have Thrust on it ;)

But yeah, I'm getting this.

Yep...there are no Imagic titles in the collection.  Yes, I know it sucks, ...

Sure does -- DEMON ATTACK & ATLANTIS are 2 of my all-time favorite 2600 games -- & 2 of the main reasons I was excited about this release. How realistic is the possibility of a sequel, &, if there IS a sequel, could the Imagic titles be included??

THANKS!

-PongHit

is it just me, or is anyone else super excited at the fact that this is the first mainstream commercial release of homebrew 2600 games.  Its the same feeling as seeing that little great band that played at the local bar get national airplay.  This WILL bring an even bigger interest into the homebrew scene and market, the only question is what degree :)

I agree with this. It's a really good idea. Hopefully, there'll be a little blurb in the manual and/or on the GBA screen mentioning that people are still creating Atari 2600 games today, more than a quarter century after the original hardware was released.

Too bad about the Imagic games not making it, but Activision has plenty of solid titles as-is. (Although Demon Attack is one of my favorites, too.)

It'd be great to see a sequel sometime, with more homebrews added. There are so many really good ones, and more in the works. (Although I think Synthcart would be a bear to use with just a gamepad and two fire buttons. ;) )

I'd love to see a Parker Bros. collection, too. (I can dream...)

Anyway, I'm already planning to pick up a black GBA-SP when they come out in a couple of weeks, just to get the Anthology.

Killer app, indeed. :D

How realistic is the possibility of a sequel,

He is going to say, "Depends on how well the first one does!"

Heh, I thought that said psycho hat.

Too bad about the Imagic games not making it, but Activision has plenty of solid titles as-is. (Although Demon Attack is one of my favorites, too.)

I never really got into Demon Attack. I'd played other versions before(specifically the 99/4a computer one), and by comparison the VCS game is just... mediocre.

Quick question (sorry if this has been asked/answered previously):

When the first Activision Anthology came out, AA needed to pull all the Activision ROMs so therte would not be a conflict. (And also because the Activision titles were once again "Active".)

So, if the new Anthology has homebrews, will those ROMs be pulled and will AA have to stop selling those specific titles on cart? What kind of "exclusivity" will Aspyr have to these homebrew titles?

I'm concerned that some very grand titles are suddenly going to disappear as the Activision ROMs did.

So, if the new Anthology has homebrews, will those ROMs be pulled and will AA have to stop selling those specific titles on cart? What kind of "exclusivity" will Aspyr have to these homebrew titles?

There is no exclusivity to any of the homebrew games appearing on the GBA Anthology. I don't think any of the homebrew authors would sign such an agreement if that meant people could no longer download the ROMs from the web or get their games in cartridge form.

..Al

Oh yeah!!!  Pitfall II is now running with full sound and music!  Rocks!

-cnn

You’re doing this with actual emulation, aren’t you? If so, did y’all use the 10K dump of “Pitfall II” to get it to work correctly?

I still haven't heard why Activision isn't producing this themselves. I'm sure it's a perfectly good reason, but I'm curious.

I can see why they might farm out the development of this title, but why aren't they publishing it? It seems very odd.

I have one other simple question. I did "additional programming" on the ROMs to several of the titles used in the original AA. Are these the same ROMs being used in the GBA version and will I recieve proper credit?

It's not a big deal, but I'd still like to know.

I have one other simple question.    I did "additional programming" on the ROMs to several of the titles used in the original AA.  Are these the same ROMs being used in the GBA version and will I recieve proper credit?

Yes, you are in the credits under Additional Atari 2600 Programming. :)

..Al

Ok...I can finally post the official game list. Also, as to why Activision isn't publishing the game, I can't really discuss that. Just know, however, that it is a perfectly normal reason...nothing strange or weird about it at all. It's just business. :)

The list of all 56 titles to be included:

* Barnstorming

* Beamrider

* Bloody Human Freeway

* Boxing

* Bridge

* Checkers

* Chopper Command

* Climber 5

* Cosmic Commuter

* Crackpots

* Decathlon

* Dolphin

* Dragster

* Enduro

* Fishing Derby

* Freeway

* Frostbite

* Grand Prix

* H.E.R.O.

* Ice Hockey

* Kabobber

* Kaboom!

* Keystone Kapers

* Laser Blast

* Megamania

* Oink!

* Okie Dokie

* Oystron

* Pete Rose Baseball

* Pitfall!

* Pitfall II: Lost Caverns

* Plaque Attack

* Pressure Cooker

* Private Eye

* River Raid

* River Raid II

* Robot Tank

* Seaquest

* Skateboardin'

* Skeleton+

* Skiing

* Sky Jinks

* Space Shuttle

* Space Treat Deluxe

* Spider Fighter

* Stampede

* Starmaster

* Tennis

* Thwocker

* Title Match Pro Wrestling

* Tomcat: The F14 Flight Simulator

* Vault Assault

* Venetian Blinds

* Video Euchre

* Unknown Activision Prototype #1

* Unknown Activision Prototype #2

That's it!

-cnn

Thanks for the list. (Woo hoo! Bloody Human Freeway!)

Just wondering though... why are the two unknown prototypes still unknown? Has nobody been able to find out who programmed them? I didn't think there were that many potential programmers who worked for Activision to check with.

It'd be really cool to see the 8-bit computer specific titles as well like hacker, ghost busters, dreadnaught factor, zenji, and Zone Ranger.

Hey.. we can all dream right?

Not to get off topic, but anyone see that 5 namco games in one joystick? I just noticed one in a gaming store. Is that new? Or has it been out?

It'd be really cool to see the 8-bit computer specific titles as well like hacker, ghost busters, dreadnaught factor, zenji, and Zone Ranger.

Not to get off topic, but anyone see that 5 namco games in one joystick?  I just noticed one in a gaming store.  Is that new?  Or has it been out?

it's relatively recent, and from most reports i've seen, other than the look of the hardware package, everything else about how the games are recreated (ie not 'emulated') is very craptacular.

gavv

actually, i'd like to see a NextGenActAnth with games from 'above 2600 systems' ^_^, with the 8bit stuff too

Not to get off topic, but anyone see that 5 namco games in one joystick?  I just noticed one in a gaming store.  Is that new?  Or has it been out?

it's relatively recent, and from most reports i've seen, other than the look of the hardware package, everything else about how the games are recreated (ie not 'emulated') is very craptacular.

gavv

actually, i'd like to see a NextGenActAnth with games from 'above 2600 systems' ^_^, with the 8bit stuff too

Didn't some games come out for the intellivision that didn't come out for the 2600? Or am I thinking imagic games?