IGNORED

Jag 2 Question

Saturn

How much would it cost to make the Jag 2 a reality? Does anyone have a ballpark figure?

The reason I ask is because a friend's aunt won all or part of a $48,000,000.00 Texas lottery jackpot on Saturday night and while thinking what I would do with that much money handed to me at once, (besides making a small dent in world hunger, etc., etc.) I pondered that question. :ponder:

Just curious 8)

How much would it cost to make the Jag 2 a reality? Does anyone have a ballpark figure?  

The reason I ask is because a friend's aunt won all or part of a $48,000,000.00 Texas lottery jackpot on Saturday night and while thinking what I would do with that much money handed to me at once, (besides making a small dent in world hunger, etc., etc.) I pondered that question. :ponder:  

Just curious 8)

I'm not sure, but since the Jag II would not be very "old" technology by today's standards I bet that the effort to make it would be a lot less than it was when the tramiels were making it.

Just curious 8)

Holy Jesus! Is this woman single? :love:

Just curious 8)

:lolblue:

It would be cool to have someone release a jaguar2, but then you would also have to hire a game developer to make a game, and although i dont know shit about it, i would also guess that you would need to make a decent developement kit. It would be like releasing the panther, accept the panther already had a few games made... It would also be cool to see a jagduo made, or some other unreleased games such as Legions of the undead http://www.atarihq.de/club/jagpre/undead.html or Freelance http://www.atarihq.de/club/jagpre/free.html available.

Also a mass release of the Jaguar VR Headset or Voice Modem Would kick ass :D

It would be cool to have someone release a jaguar2, but then you would also have to hire a game developer to make a game, and although i dont know shit about it, i would also guess that you would need to make a decent developement kit. It would be like releasing the panther, accept the panther already had a few games made... It would also be cool to see a jagduo made, or some other unreleased games such as Legions of the undead http://www.atarihq.de/club/jagpre/undead.html or Freelance http://www.atarihq.de/club/jagpre/free.html available.

Also a mass release of the Jaguar VR Headset or Voice Modem Would kick ass

I'd have to fully agree with you on those. I think Legions of the Undead was one of the games I looked forward to the most. But from what I know it was quite early in it's development when it was cancelled so it'd be tough to finish it (I wouldn't mind a release of what they did have though, I bought BI/WN and while it isn't finished, it's interesting). Have you had a chance to play BI/WN? Now that would have be a very cool game had they been able to finish it. Speaking of the voice modem, they made about 100 of those and I think Carl has one. Perhaps that'd be the easiest device to replicate and release is my guess, but that's just a guess.

Of course, I'm just happy that we're seeing so many old Jag projects come 'out of nowhere' all of the sudden, like BI/WN, Varunas Forces, Formula 1, Soul Star, Robinson's Requiem, etc. I just wonder what's taken so long for these to surface.

My vote would be for JagVR, properly packaged in the red helmets, not *that* dificult to do, expensive, but not technically that dificult, and there's already one game, and Im sure people would be happy to develop and release more for it.

Alternatively a handheld Jag would be fun, but I doubt possible even with todays tech.

Either way, this is all academic, right? I doubt your friends aunt wants to fund such unprofitable projects :(.

does the jagvr have any custom chips or could jaysmith go down to hong kong and show the plans to some black market people and have 100's of jagvm's composed of stolen chips and parts within a month? I have heard that there are alot of unique things that can be found on the black market there, they even made a bunch of sega saturn vcd cards, wireless light guns.etc

Just curious 8)

Not anymore. :D

I heard that people were coming out of the woodwork. Long lost family members, too. :lolblue: :evil:

Just curious 8)

I'm not sure, but since the Jag II would not be very "old" technology by today's standards I bet that the effort to make it would be a lot less than it was when the tramiels were making it.

Could it still be made backward compattible with the Jaguar's games? And if so, on another note, would it be possible to make a "new" Jaguar with a slightly different board and updated chips?

Also a mass release of the Jaguar VR Headset or Voice Modem Would kick ass :D

Depending on how much bank I had left, I'd pretty much pay some developers through the nose to have a crapload of great games ready for the launch date. Free dev systems for serious developers, too. It wouldn't be about making a profit off of the Jag2 initially, I'd just want it to see the light of day. 8)

I just wonder what's taken so long for these to surface.
It's my understanding that old files and games are being "discovered" on Atari hardware/computers that were bought from Atari in bulk by different people. Also, there are existing demos of games owned by a few people that keep them private. Maybe those other games have just fallen into the hands of generous individuals who think it's necessary to share. :thumbsup: :)

My vote would be for JagVR, properly packaged in the red helmets, not *that* dificult to do, expensive, but not technically that dificult, and there's already one game, and Im sure people would be happy to develop and release more for it.

Alternatively a handheld Jag would be fun, but I doubt possible even with todays tech.

With that much cash, I'd try to do it all. :D

Either way, this is all academic, right? I doubt your friends aunt wants to fund such unprofitable projects :(.
Nah, I don't think she'd be interested in the Jaguar and it doesn't seem like a good time to introduce myself and propose the idea. :lol:

Shaggy the atarian wrote:

I'd have to fully agree with you on those. I think Legions of the Undead was one of the games I looked forward to the most. But from what I know it was quite early in it's development when it was cancelled so it'd be tough to finish it (I wouldn't mind a release of what they did have though.

I was hoping that songbird would be able to get the rights to legions of the undead since it was under developement by rebellion who (i guess) cooperated with the release of skyhammer. Even better its a CD title meaning cheaper costs, but i guess that wont happen :sad: :sad: :sad:

Don't count on a Jag VR ever being mass produced. I believe that even if Atari were still in business and they did make the Jag VR , it wouldnt be like the one that we have all come to know and love. The Jag VR would cost too much to make and Atari realized this. If Atari kept working on the idea I think they would have released just a HMD to cut costs down. Picture a Philips Scuba headset with red/gray coloring and a Jaguar logo on it, thats the Jag VR we would have gotten. Just my 2cents

-Mike

We've had this discussion before. Clint did some serious research on re-producing the Jag VR units. The cost was just too high. There are some custom chips on the tracker, but Glenn has already dumped the chips so we could easily reproduce them. I'm not sure if the headset has some custom chips, but I guess it probably does. I don't believe anyone has dumped those.

As far as the Jag 2 goes, the ones that currently exist would have been cool, but by today's standards outdated and hardly worth re-producing in bulk. I guess with unlimited $$$ anything can be done though! Very cool on the lottery, wish it was me! :)

Jason

We've had this discussion before.  Clint did some serious research on re-producing the Jag VR units.  The cost was just too high.  There are some custom chips on the tracker, but Glenn has already dumped the chips so we could easily reproduce them.  I'm not sure if the headset has some custom chips, but I guess it probably does.  I don't believe anyone has dumped those.  

As far as the Jag 2 goes, the ones that currently exist would have been cool, but by today's standards outdated and hardly worth re-producing in bulk.  I guess with unlimited $$$ anything can be done though!  Very cool on the lottery, wish it was me!  :)

Jason

I'd love to get those chips put in my mock-up :D

-Mike

Just out of curiosity, how good were the Jag 2's graphics?  Somewhere inbetwen PSX and PS2?

Tempest

That's hard to say, because all we have is documentation from Atari on the capabilities. As we know, they specs and what the hardware actually does in practice with everything else running over the same bus are two different things.

If we had a working JAG2 and some JAG2 specific code, we could see.

JagWarLord...

The Philips Scuba wasn't a big market push. Limited Qty's exist.

Atari had it right... and to be honest it wasn't even Atari... it was Virtuality! The technology was done, just needed a few minor adjustments and a (er, big name like Atari to push it? heh...)

Anyways.... had Atari had the money at the time AND knew that

they were going to stay in business, I think the realistic price range would have been $399.99 packaged w/Missile Command VR. The reason they are too expensive to try and releaese today is obvious.... mold injection, pcb design, etc. etc.

Now, if I could walk into Virtuality )which no longer exists( and say Hey.... you still have this this and that, and they said yes... then I think it would be much more realistic to release the JagVR... however it's not worth releasing only 20 JagVRs if that's all base interest is. If you want to play Missle Command VR, go and buy yourself a SU2000 (or a pair for that matter!) I think a pair can go for about anywhere between $5,000 - $8,000 and you would have many other games to play on it! :D

onto other things...

I, like many others here, have dreamed once too many times of the cool idea of getting the Jag 2 released or re-produced... but, it's obviously pointless with absolutely NO software, and from the emails and people I've talked to, there were only small demo's produced for the machine which is probably long gone or chillin' on a HD somewhere.

JagDuo... would be more probable.... but still, unless you have the spare cash sitting around, no one is going to see it. But hell, I know if I hit the lottery for some millions plus... I would of course be interested in throwing some $$ at it... Why? Because it'd be interesting!

(and, you'd have the $$ haha....)

Clint Thompson

We've had this discussion before.  Clint did some serious research on re-producing the Jag VR units.  The cost was just too high.  There are some custom chips on the tracker, but Glenn has already dumped the chips so we could easily reproduce them.  I'm not sure if the headset has some custom chips, but I guess it probably does.  I don't believe anyone has dumped those.  

As far as the Jag 2 goes, the ones that currently exist would have been cool, but by today's standards outdated and hardly worth re-producing in bulk.  I guess with unlimited $$$ anything can be done though!  Very cool on the lottery, wish it was me!  :)

Jason

Jason,

I only managed to copy the Cypress EPROM chips. There are 1 or 2 other chips in the VR that have code imbedded in them. I don't have the in-circuit programming tools and cables to extract their code.

Did anyone ever managed to get the box of documentation from Virturality that had all their design notes?

Glenn

I, like many others here, have dreamed once too many times of the cool idea of getting the Jag 2 released or re-produced... but, it's obviously pointless with absolutely NO software, and from the emails and people I've talked to, there were only small demo's produced for the machine which is probably long gone or chillin' on a HD somewhere.

The one problem there is getting all the design files for the Oberon and Puck chips. Since Motorola has destroyed all that stuff the only hope would be if John Matheison still has the information.

JagDuo... would be more probable.... but still, unless you have the spare cash sitting around, no one is going to see it. But hell, I know if I hit the lottery for some millions plus... I would of course  be interested in throwing some $$ at it... Why? Because it'd be interesting!

(and, you'd have the $$ haha....)

This is a more real possibility. I currently have a bare PCB for the JagDuo that I think would be cool to try and populate it with parts one day.

But this would require a Jaguar sacrifice for a source of parts.

Glenn

Plenty of discussion to make on this topic obviously ;)

I was hoping that songbird would be able to get the rights to legions of the undead since it was under developement by rebellion who (i guess) cooperated with the release of skyhammer. Even better its a CD title meaning cheaper costs, but i guess that wont happen

I was as well. I wonder if the code even exists anymore or if a alpha of the game is floating around somewhere. Did anyone(like T-Bird) ever get to see this game in action??

It's my understanding that old files and games are being "discovered" on Atari hardware/computers that were bought from Atari in bulk by different people. Also, there are existing demos of games owned by a few people that keep them private. Maybe those other games have just fallen into the hands of generous individuals who think it's necessary to share.

It's about time :) I was wishing that this would have happened a few years ago in the Telegames era when we were getting Zero 5 and IS2. Oh well, I can't complain now as it's great to be getting these "new" games. Now all I need is some extra ca$h so I can buy all of these games :D