IGNORED

Req: Stac compression technique enhancement

13 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I just implemented one of my compression techniques and cut down the size of the compressed file to 17 blocks :) , but I first need to debug it.  Again, how do I implement the bit stream the right way?

absolute revelation, it looks like your compressor is the most efficient of all I know.

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I was good at math in high school but never formally attended college classes.  Now, the Shannon technique shows promise.  Can somebody explain it using less technical terms?

Shannon-Fano coding is sub-optimal compared to Huffman coding.

But here you go: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/shannon-fano-algorithm-for-data-compression/

Memory is accessed in 16K banks at $4000-7FFF, controlled through PORTB.  The 130xe banking permits separate CPU/ANTIC bank access; some third part upgrades do not.

If you program for current versions of SpartaDOS X, you can make system calls within your program to request expanded RAM and be less concerned about banking.

...of course, the original 800 uses an entirely different banking scheme for expanded RAM...

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

I found an article on Shannon Coding on Wikipedia at Shannon coding - Wikipedia.  However, I don't have a college education in Math.  Can somebody please explain the method to a person with only a high school education?

You'll have similar problems to Huffman and Range Coding. You need large tables to keep track of the probabilities of each symbol. And Shannon Coding is old, and sub-optimal. Anyway, if 5ac7f37c8288700904b4a22a2f7c94d45ba917de (ceil x), and a5f69289dfa3e288656bfeeefdab7b50d0a277ca (sum all pk for k=1 to i-1) are abracadabra to you, you might be aiming for something that is out of your reach. For now at least.

• 3 weeks later...