IGNORED

How do you transfer a homebrewed game

idunno24601

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah, Rally X. Was always one of my favorite games. Used to play the home version on the VIC 20 all the time, Radar Rat Race.(image from the 64 version)

I suspect I'll call it Rally S (for SpiceWare). I used to code in 6502 on the Commodore series(VIC, 64 and 128), so I don't expect much difficulty with that aspect of the game. Here's a version of Space Invaders I did for the 128's 80 column display.

I've got the graphics for the level 1 maze done and was working on the kernel when I had to backburner the project. I've been under a 20% "temporary" paycut since the start of the year :( and picked up a side job. It should wrap up in December so I plan to resume Rally S after the holidays.

I'm giving my brother & sister Atari setups for Xmas and what's left of my freetime has been spent making binders with game manuals(besides 40+ cartridges each, they're getting Superchargers with CDs holding 350 or so games). I'm up to the E's so far. Typically I'm getting 8 manual pages on each sheet(4 printed on each side). I've got a number of manuals not yet on Atari Age so have also been scanning them. Albert's going to add them here when he has time.

Not sure how long it takes to code a game, but I do want to give my brother & sister Rally S cartridges for their birthdays(May and June).

Does anyone make NEW eprom writers?

Where I work, we use Needhams programmers, which pretty much program everything under the sun, but they're very expensive.

I'm an Amiga user, so I don't know about for the PC or Mac, but certainly on Aminet there are plans for many build-it-yourself programmers, which tend to be for a specific device. I'm sure that somewhere out there on the web there will be similar designs with software for whatever platform you choose.

• 1 year later...
Where I work, we use Needhams programmers, which pretty much program everything under the sun, but they're very expensive.

I lucked into two "last unit" EMP-20's at the Fry's in Austin and Houston. I got the Houston one for (I think) $99. The Austin one was missing all accessories, so I snagged it when it went down to $50. I have since found a power supply with the right spec and wrong plug, and another with an almost right spec and the right plug. Then a couple of weeks ago I bought a complete set of modules so that now each unit can be complete. I was going to need a #4 module anyhow. This is what I mostly use nowadays, hooked up via a really long printer cable to my living room video player PC.

Last week I won an ebay auction for two EPROM programmers. One was an EP-1132 (from BP Microsystems), which I had used before at a previous job. The other was an EP-1, the original programmer from that line, and which works through a 38400 baud serial connection with plain old XMODEM transfers. No PALs, but it does support esentially all 28-pin EPROMs. So now I have one that will work with my Powerbook. The EP-1 is now officially my "portable" programmer.

And then there's my first programmer, a ROMMAX. It uses an ISA card and DOS software. Which is why I'm surprised that Fry's still sells them new. I've got the 16-bit EPROM adapter for that too. I also have an old PAL programmer to the same computer, which lets me read the really old stuff. My goal was to read the PAL from the Color Computer Multi-Pak Interface, and I did it.

And now I've just won another ebay auction for a PAL programmer which uses the same sofware as the EP-1132.