IGNORED

Defective Jag's on eBay

Mendon

Just curious if anyone has purchased any of the defective Jag's that Video Game Liquidator's is always advertising on eBay? They always start out with a $2.99 price and either don't sell or VGL has a ton of them.

Was curious if anyone tried one and figured out what was wrong with it. If it was something simple to fix, they could possibly be resold for those looking for backup or network machines.

Mendon

Just curious if anyone has purchased any of the defective Jag's that Video Game Liquidator's is always advertising on eBay? They always start out with a $2.99 price and either don't sell or VGL has a ton of them.  

Was curious if anyone tried one and figured out what was wrong with it. If it was something simple to fix, they could possibly be resold for those looking for backup or network machines.

Mendon

I bought one from them a while ago thinking it could be fixed, or I could used the case to make holes for mods. The unit was beyond repair (burnt board) and the case was all scratched up. I imagine them all just piled up in a huge box rubbing together and getting scratched or worse.

For me it wasn't worth the price because the shipping was too high for something that was $3.00! It wound up costing close to $10.00 for a doorstop.

I bought one from them a while ago thinking it could be fixed, or I could used the case to make holes for mods. The unit was beyond repair (burnt board) and the case was all scratched up. I imagine them all just piled up in a huge box rubbing together and getting scratched or worse.  

I had this vision in my mind that it might be nothing more than a little $.10 part from Radio Shack that would get those Jag's up and running. But in reality, I knew that they would probably be unfixable and not worth the time to even look at.

Sorry you blew some $$$ on them.

Mendon

It's sad to think that they want $10 for a non-functional unit when just a few short years ago both VGL and GoAtari were selling WORKING core systems (just the base unit alone) for the same price! :roll: :sad:

It's sad to think that they want $10 for a non-functional unit when just a few short years ago both VGL and GoAtari were selling WORKING core systems (just the base unit alone) for the same price!  :roll:  :sad:

They only wanted $3-$4 for the unit, but the shipping was like $6.00... I don't know if buying multiples would get a better shipping rate.

VGL charges insane shipping costs to Canada i mean i think they want like 6 bucks to ship a Neo Geo Pocket game in just the little plastic case. I also remember buying a Sonic R in a jewel case from them and charged i think like 8 bucks for shipping. Some how I dont think its supposed to charge that much for shipping. Same goes for Jag games some people have charged me 8 bucks or so and some have charged 4.50 i dont get the fluctuations in pricing

I have one that I just received from them. I haven't been able to test it yet as I don't have any Jaguar carts, but at least I can tell you that the case is pristine. I mean, it looks like they armor alled the thing before they sent it. And yes, I did pay $2.99 + the $10 shipping. I understand you can use a regular RF and a Genesis 1 power supply. If I had a cart I would test it and report the results.

It's sad to think that they want $10 for a non-functional unit when just a few short years ago both VGL and GoAtari were selling WORKING core systems (just the base unit alone) for the same price!  :roll:  :sad:

They only wanted $3-$4 for the unit, but the shipping was like $6.00... I don't know if buying multiples would get a better shipping rate.

OK, well that's a bit better. Wish I could still pick up some working core units for $10 again though... :sad:

I have one that I just received from them.  I haven't been able to test it yet as I don't have any Jaguar carts, but at least I can tell you that the case is pristine.  I mean, it looks like they armor alled the thing before they sent it.  And yes, I did pay $2.99 + the $10 shipping.  I understand you can use a regular RF and a Genesis 1 power supply.  If I had a cart I would test it and report the results.

Hang on a sec... isnt it the genesis/megadrive psu that blows up Jaguars?

Yeah, for some reason Sega decided it would be a good idea to switch the plug polarity between models :? :roll:

I'm a big fan of the SNES's approach to dealing with it - they put a diode bridge in there so people could use their NES power supply (which outputs AC) but this has the nice side-effect of allowing you to use either polarity of DC as an input without damaging it 8)

Stone

Yeah, for some reason Sega decided it would be a good idea to switch the plug polarity between models :? :roll:

I'm a big fan of the SNES's approach to dealing with it - they put a diode bridge in there so people could use their NES power supply (which outputs AC) but this has the nice side-effect of allowing you to use either polarity of DC as an input without damaging it 8)

Stone

Diodes cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Stone

I tried to design a full rectifier when I was 11 (I didn't know what it was called then, I just spent a lot of time building useless junk and needed the ability to plug in a DC supply either way and have it still work). My design would rectify one way but not the other, so I kept adding more diodes until the reverse was true... then added even more diodes until I had a sheet of paper covered with diode symbols and it still didn't solve the problem. Years later I saw a rectifier schematic in a physics textbook and, as Homer Simpson would have put it, "D'OH!"

Stone

I tried to design a full rectifier when I was 11 (I didn't know what it was called then, I just spent a lot of time building useless junk and needed the ability to plug in a DC supply either way and have it still work). My design would rectify one way but not the other, so I kept adding more diodes until the reverse was true... then added even more diodes until I had a sheet of paper covered with diode symbols and it still didn't solve the problem. Years later I saw a rectifier schematic in a physics textbook and, as Homer Simpson would have put it, "D'OH!"

?...what was your line of thought? If one diode doesn't work maybe 50 will?!? :P Should have looked into a book to begin with; electronics 101. But live and learn, I think we've all made stupid mistakes on circuits. :roll: I spent two days trying to figure out why a circuit wouldn't work and I just KNEW everything was right, only to discover the transister was in backwards! (I was looking at a bottom up diagram of the pins and thinking it was a top down view the whole time). :P

?...what was your line of thought? If one diode doesn't work maybe 50 will?!? :P  Should have looked into a book to begin with; electronics 101. But live and learn, I think we've all made stupid mistakes on circuits. :roll:  I spent two days trying to figure out why a circuit wouldn't work and I just KNEW everything was right, only to discover the transister was in backwards! (I was looking at a bottom up diagram of the pins and thinking it was a top down view the whole time). :P

I was tweaking the design as I went, so it would work one way but then not the other so I had to keep adding diodes to further "correct" it back the other way until I realized this was going around in circles. Anyway, it was partly a mental challenge, I like to work things out for myself where possible, that's a lot of the fun. I wasn't doing commerical work or anything - 11 year old kids have a lot of time on their hands!

Diodes cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Yes, but probably not as much as replacing 500-1000 units because people mislaid their PSU and tried to use a NES one in it :)

Stone

Also, if the power supply was bundled with the console then those rectification diodes would still have to be used somewhere, either in the PSU or the console, so the cost to the manufacturer couldn't be avoided. Unless the console ran on AC.

I would expect the small print to say that warranty is void if using non-compatible devices, but yes, the hassle and administration caused by fried consoles would not be worth it.

Also, if the power supply was bundled with the console then those rectification diodes would still have to be used somewhere, either in the PSU or the console, so the cost to the manufacturer couldn't be avoided. Unless the console ran on AC.

I think the bundled power supply was actually DC, which would make it just a simple measure to help out frustrated NES owners :) I can't test it though, because I don't have an original SNES PSU :)

Stone

How so? If someone toasted their Jaguar then Atari got to sell them a new one!

True...still, I can't think of any other reason they would do it, and it does mean you can emply a whole lot less staff checking the returned units. Even if you just have people opening it up and saying 'Yep, that's toasted!' it could get quite expensive, depending on your estimation of the intelligence of the population you're selling them to, of course :lol:

Stone

How so? If someone toasted their Jaguar then Atari got to sell them a new one!

True...still, I can't think of any other reason they would do it, and it does mean you can emply a whole lot less staff checking the returned units. Even if you just have people opening it up and saying 'Yep, that's toasted!' it could get quite expensive, depending on your estimation of the intelligence of the population you're selling them to, of course :lol:

Stone

It's probably the fact that you need a pretty big diode to handle all of the current that the Power Supply can provide, when foreward biased. That big of a diode needs space around it for air flow and takes up board space. They might have had to take it off the design to get everything to fit in the case. I'm not sure how tight that area of the board is.