IGNORED

TI-99/4a Power Supply

Dopy25

Just picked up a 99/4a with no PSU. It looks like the cheapest one is around $30 on fleabay and that seems to be right under what an entire system would cost if I wait it out. A few recently sold for $40-60 for a known working console, with cables and games. Spending that much on a PSU seems ridiculous.

Can anyone help me out that might have a spare PSU lying around? If I can't get one relatively inexpensive, I'll look at the pinouts and just wire in something for now. I just can't justify spending a bunch on a PSU when I don't even know if this works. The console cost me $10 so I'm not out much but I don't want to be out more either.

Just picked up a 99/4a with no PSU. It looks like the cheapest one is around $30 on fleabay and that seems to be right under what an entire system would cost if I wait it out. A few recently sold for $40-60 for a known working console, with cables and games. Spending that much on a PSU seems ridiculous.

Can anyone help me out that might have a spare PSU lying around? If I can't get one relatively inexpensive, I'll look at the pinouts and just wire in something for now. I just can't justify spending a bunch on a PSU when I don't even know if this works. The console cost me $10 so I'm not out much but I don't want to be out more either.
I have them in my store at arcadeshopper.com

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, arcadeshopper said:

I have them in my store at arcadeshopper.com

I've been looking around your site as well as the 99/4a sub forum. I've never known anything about this machine until today so I'm learning a lot. Problem is I still don't know if this works and at their value, it's not really worth it to sink a bunch of money if it doesn't work. I will consider your store for sure but at the moment, I'd like to spend as little as possible to see if it even works before putting money into quality.

I may just fit my own. I have a brick that outputs +5 and +12 volts but I don't really want to cut off the end. Haha. 

Thank you for the info!

I've been looking around your site as well as the 99/4a sub forum. I've never known anything about this machine until today so I'm learning a lot. Problem is I still don't know if this works and at their value, it's not really worth it to sink a bunch of money if it doesn't work. I will consider your store for sure but at the moment, I'd like to spend as little as possible to see if it even works before putting money into quality.

I may just fit my own. I have a brick that outputs +5 and +12 volts but I don't really want to cut off the end. Haha. 

Thank you for the info!

Look in the FAQ for power supply information before you try to hack in another power supply the ti uses an external AC power supply to power in an internal AC to DC power supply if you bypass the internal then it only requires 5 12 and -5 DC but if you don't it's ac voltage https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/ti-99-4a-faq-power-supplies/

You are most likely missing the external AC supply.

9 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Look in the FAQ for power supply information before you try to hack in another power supply the ti uses an external AC power supply to power in an internal AC to DC power supply if you bypass the internal then it only requires 5 12 and -5 DC but if you don't it's ac voltage https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/ti-99-4a-faq-power-supplies/

You are most likely missing the external AC supply.

I will definitely check out the faq for PSU information. I'd need it for the pinout anyway. I'll read a bunch before doing anything to it.

That's correct, I'm missing the external power supply. It's AC? Crap. That could be an issue for the brick I have. 

Edit: Wait, isn't it ok to use DC in when AC is requested? Like using a Sega Genesis PSU on NES but not the other way around..

Thank you

Edited by Dopy25
  • Like 1