IGNORED

Air Hockey (Demo)

rsiddall

Just fooling around with this demo. More interested in creating a Dan Kitchen (Crackpots) character than actual gameplay.

I don't really know what to call these...proof of concepts or demos as I'm not sure I'll finish the gameplay.

I think Activision's Ice Hockey or Tennis already fills this niche.

Air_Hockey.png

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, rsiddall said:

Just fooling around with this demo. More interested in creating a Dan Kitchen (Crackpots) character than actual gameplay.

I don't really know what to call these...proof of concepts or demos as I'm not sure I'll finish the gameplay.

I think Activision's Ice Hockey or Tennis already fills this niche.

Here's some game footage...I don't think you can beat the Opponent AI. Also, table is too wide so it becomes impossible to catch-up to the puck in time (without slowing the gameplay down).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KevKelley said:

I think this is cool. It has a nice asthetic. I don't know if you would call this a demo or proof of concept but either way they are neat. I see things like this as good inspiration. Gives me ideas to practice and learn on.

Same! I get inspired by comments, insights and looking at other's examples. Enjoying your Lawn Boy! posts most recently.

Air Hockey seems like it is made for paddle controls, unless you are going to adopt the perspective/gameplay of the GBA e-reader version of Air hockey.

In that version, the perspective is top-down, and you maneuver the puck and press fire for a rapid shot in the direction you are moving.

Another interesting take, might be a video game simulation of those arcade hockey games where the players only move up/down (4-player paddle?).

41992337372_90b45ff22b_o.jpg

GBA e-reader

AIR Hockey (PSX) - similar gameplay.

• Like 1

It had me thinking it could be cool if you move back and forth but if you press fire the bumper used by the player would move up as if you were swiping it towards the puck. So if you went through a full stroke and hit the puck you would have a more forceful shot.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

Air Hockey seems like it is made for paddle controls, unless you are going to adopt the perspective/gameplay of the GBA e-reader version of Air hockey.

In that version, the perspective is top-down, and you maneuver the puck and press fire for a rapid shot in the direction you are moving.

Another interesting take, might be a video game simulation of those arcade hockey games where the players only move up/down (4-player paddle?).

41992337372_90b45ff22b_o.jpg

GBA e-reader

AIR Hockey (PSX) - similar gameplay.

Wow, I think the version closest to what I had in mind (visually) would be the PSX! And what I remember playing.

I could make the goal area smaller and that would probably take care of not being able to catch-up with the puck.

As it is right now... it's playing okay with the joystick (pretty responsive). Plays more like tennis...no slowing of the puck - just back and forth.

Mostly wanted to play against a more human looking opponent, thus the sacrificing of player1 and player0.

All cool examples...thanks!!

1 hour ago, KevKelley said:

It had me thinking it could be cool if you move back and forth but if you press fire the bumper used by the player would move up as if you were swiping it towards the puck. So if you went through a full stroke and hit the puck you would have a more forceful shot.

Love the idea! I don't think it would be hard to implement. But again, my ball physics are more Pong than hockey...not by choice. 

I may post the .bin at some point as I don't want anyone who's shown an interest to feel like I've let them down if I step away from this. ?

2 hours ago, KevKelley said:

Yeah, this is sort of how the GBA/PSX versions work. Pressing the button does a power strike, moving the bumper at much higher speeds. I think in those versions, you can move fast in all 8 directions, but it could also make sense to only do it in the front-facing 3 directions.

10 hours ago, KevKelley said:

This would make the game a LOT more dynamic and add a ton to the gameplay. You can also have the puck slow down gradually if it doesn't get hit and add to the speed every time it does, so it has momentum just like in real air hockey. Both should be fairly simple to implement I would think.

Also, you could add that the more you return the puck successfully it could build up to a 'Super Hit' that could be triggered with the button that would return the puck at double speed making it hard to defend!   (EDIT: Looks like @CapitanClassic was thinking the same thing above)

- James

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chewy said:

wow id love this- but hope theres a joystick/genesis controller version though- 

I would say joystick control is where it will end up. Don't take that as a commitment to finish the "game" I built around my desire to have a more human looking opponent. ?

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rsiddall said:

I would say joystick control is where it will end up. Don't take that as a commitment to finish the "game" I built around my desire to have a more human looking opponent. ?

I see this in board game design groups about how people choose to design - by using theme first or focusing on gameplay first and then building mechanics around it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

This would make the game a LOT more dynamic and add a ton to the gameplay. You can also have the puck slow down gradually if it doesn't get hit and add to the speed every time it does, so it has momentum just like in real air hockey. Both should be fairly simple to implement I would think.

Also, you could add that the more you return the puck successfully it could build up to a 'Super Hit' that could be triggered with the button that would return the puck at double speed making it hard to defend!   (EDIT: Looks like @CapitanClassic was thinking the same thing above)

- James

So much to consider!

I've actually got KevKelley's suggestion to have the player's striker move forward when fire button is pressed (with the potential to increase the puck's speed).

I'm caught somewhere in the middle...pushing forward and taking the time to see how realistic it would be (for myself) to do this or turn the AI on for both opponents and just watch it play itself forever.  Could I get away with calling it another screensaver?! ;-)

All good suggestions!! 

49 minutes ago, KevKelley said:

I see this in board game design groups about how people choose to design - by using theme first or focusing on gameplay first and then building mechanics around it.

Yeah, I don't want anyone to feel like I've shoehorned a game around the design.

I believe David Crane mentioned doing the same for his running man that later became Pitfall Harry.

Although I am a hack at best...so not comparing myself to him (or anyone else). ?

Edited by rsiddall

9 minutes ago, rsiddall said:

So much to consider!

I've actually got KevKelley's suggestion to have the player's striker move forward when fire button is pressed (with the potential to increase the puck's speed).

I'm caught somewhere in the middle...pushing forward and taking the time to see how realistic it would be (for myself) to do this or turn the AI on for both opponents and just watch it play itself forever.  Could I get away with calling it another screensaver?! ;-)

All good suggestions!! 

You can always make it an option to either have humans or AI play each other.   Then it can be either a game or a screensaver!  :)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rsiddall said:

Yeah, I don't want anyone to feel like I've shoehorned a game around the design.

I believe David Crane mentioned doing the same for his running man that later became Pitfall Harry.

Although I am a hack at best...so not comparing myself to him (or anyone else). ?

Most of my games have come from programming exercises that I then try and think what would work with what I was practicing or learning. And then there are some that I started with the theme and then hit a roadblock and then make a different game to get over that roadblock. But I love the limitations of both the Atari and my skill. It leads me to start trying to come up with interesting ways to solve a problem. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KevKelley said:

Most of my games have come from programming exercises that I then try and think what would work with what I was practicing or learning. And then there are some that I started with the theme and then hit a roadblock and then make a different game to get over that roadblock. But I love the limitations of both the Atari and my skill. It leads me to start trying to come up with interesting ways to solve a problem. 

I think I'm on a similar path and each program sort of builds on the previous one.

I do like the constraints the system imposes and trying to find an acceptable solution within those limitations.

I looked at your Lawn Boy! code to see how you set up the boundaries of where he could (and couldn't mow)... everything is a learning process. ?

Edited by rsiddall

• 3 months later...
On 9/30/2021 at 4:57 PM, littaum said:

You can always make it an option to either have humans or AI play each other.   Then it can be either a game or a screensaver!  :)  

3 months later...

Definitely have the AI playing each other (neither will lose) and a small update to human vs. AI. 

I'll probably fiddle with this as I continue to learn how to code. Right now it's more pong/less hockey. 

AI_VS_AI.bin AI_VS_PLAYER.bin

• Like 2