IGNORED

Text Editor

AlanD

Out of curiousity does anyone have any recommendations for a PC-based text editor that will make it easier to organize my code? Perhaps color coded, etc? Notepad doesn't really cut it. I remember one being mentioned on the Stellalist at one time but I can't find the reference now. Any ideas for a quality development editor?

AlanD

Yes, Codewright is nice, especially if you can get your employer to buy it for you. I think Textpad and Codewright are two different classes of product, though. Not to mention Codewright is $300 and TextPad is $25 (less than 1/10th!) If you're doing professional development (or serious development for fun), I suggest getting a more powerful editor/IDE along the lines of Codewright. But for more casual editing, TextPad fits the bill juts fine.

..Al

Cafe,

Dunno but I proceeded to drop kick it across the room. I put it on charge again Think my battery is not holding a charge at all. Anyway, look for some new source over the next week.

AlanD

BTW, I did a quick search around and found a 6502 Class for Textpad. It doesn't highlight everything that TASM uses so I'll have to play with it a bit.

Ok, I can understand Codewright being a bit pricey (well if ya want the best ya gotta pay)...

This program is NOT expensive and is ALMOST as good as codewright - I could find no-one using Textpad in my office, but everyone recommended Ultra Edit as the anlternative to codewright:

Ultra Edit

sTeVE

Okay I thought I'd add my 2 cents to this.

I use TextPad for my coding. I started using it because it was what everyone was using on the StellaList. Now I can't let it go

I have set it up to assemble my code, test it using the emulators, highlight my 6502 instructions (thanks Thomas ), and highlight Stella (thanks to Thomas and Glenn Saunders) and PAM registers.

I love it.

quote:

Originally posted by Jet Boot Jack:

This program is NOT expensive and is ALMOST as good as codewright - I could find no-one using Textpad in my office, but everyone recommended Ultra Edit as the anlternative to codewright:

Thanks for the recommendation, I went to the Ultra Edit website to check it out. It seems to have a fair amount of features, although I'm a little surprised by the preaching I encountered when I clicked on the Full Story link.

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

While UltrEdit's full story link is kinda odd it really is an excellent editor.

I've been using it as my editor at work (writing PHP) for the last 18 months. In a addition to having a lot of nifty features it's extremely stable which is obviously a good thing when you spend 8 hours + a day in front of it.

That said I've never used TextPad so I can't directly compare the two. I'd recommend trying both and seeing which one suites your needs best.

Glenn

I have to chime in here...

I'm not much of a programmer. If I have any forte it's in HTML, but I've tried to teach myself VB, C++ and a few other things. My current dream project is to transform the game Crystal Castles into a rendition of an episode of the Veggie Tales.

As far as the UltraEdit story goes, why does this surprise anyone? If someone in the flesh and blood helped you or inspired you, wouldn't you be thankful and make mention of them, or give them credit? This person who created this program believes that God directly had a role to play in the success of the program, and I don't find that to be out of line at all, after all, nobody said that you had to read the story section.

Anyway, that's my $.02 on this. At this point any discussion on that part of this topic should move to off-topic.