IGNORED

What modded systems do you have?

ApolloBoy

None. Although I've been considering getting a mod chip for my Saturn, simply so I can enjoy some of the great Japanese games for the system.

This probably doesn't count, but I do have a number of modded C64 disk drives. I have a 1541 and a 1571 with parallel interfaces that my brother added to them. He wants to do a ram expansion on a 1541 as well, but hasn't gotten around to it.

--Zero

NES to play NTSC games

Mega Drive to play NTSC & JAP games

Super NES (NTSC) to play JAP games (ok, only broke these 2 pins) & cut the Power pack Adapter from the Plug after it was not working and solder a german Power pack Adapter at the Plug :D

PSX to play NTSC & JAP games

PSOne too to play NTSC & JAP games

PC-Engine to connect it to a german TV.

Thats all I think. Most done from Dealers, who know how it work, only think what I have done myself was all on my Super NES (NTSC). :D

there is no need to mod a saturn to play imports

pick up a 5-in-1 cart from NCSX

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/EMS-ARP.html

it does the following

- allows you to play imports from any region

- acts as an external memory card

- gameshark capabilities

- allows you to play imports that require 1MB or 4MB RAM expansion

for 29 bucks, its a steal

the only reason to get a saturn mod, would be to play backups, and for a system with such expensive/hard to find games, i cant blame you wanting to do that

my modded system

Sega Saturn

Sega Dreamcast (to play imports)

N64 (i just opened the system and cut off the tabs that prevents you from playing imports)

i want to mod my PSX, it doesnt sever much purpose now, but if i could use my old PSX to play imports/backups, i would have a reason to use it more :)

2600 with A/V

5200 4 port - external bypass to allow a real switch box, also with a custom digital joystick interface

130XE with an internal SIO2PC

Jaguar with BJL ROM

and I think I'm missing at least one other. Modding my own systems is what I enjoy most about the hobby.

there is no need to mod a saturn to play imports

pick up a 5-in-1 cart from NCSX

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/EMS-ARP.html

it does the following

- allows you to play imports from any region

- acts as an external memory card

- gameshark capabilities

- allows you to play imports that require 1MB or 4MB RAM expansion

for 29 bucks, its a steal

the only reason to get a saturn mod, would be to play backups, and for a system with such expensive/hard to find games, i cant blame you wanting to do that

my modded system

Sega Saturn  

Sega Dreamcast (to play imports)

N64 (i just opened the system and cut off the tabs that prevents you from playing imports)

i want to mod my PSX, it doesnt sever much purpose now, but if i could use my old PSX to play imports/backups, i would have a reason to use it more :)

If I recall, so-called mod carts just increase the delay you have to do a disk swap, as opposed to ACTUALLY allowing other regions to boot.

Dreamcast -- (to make it region free) I think the mainboard died; I've got a _new_ plan to enable disable the modchip at will.

Game Boy Advance -- (installed the Afterburner light kit.)

Jaguar -- (Glued heat sinks onto the Tom & Jerry) Matter o fact I need some more low profile 486 heat sinks so I can do the other Jags I have.

NES frontloader -- (Homebrew Toploader ; in progress) It works, but I've got some shielding and mechanical issues to work out. At least it plays better than my frontloader, but isn't as rock-stable as my real toploader.

Pending projects / ideas

Home brewed Jaguar, Nes, 2600, and 5200 controllers.

the mother of all power bricks.

A cooling scheme to help keep the regulators on the NES / SNES a little cooler.

Turning my two dead Saturns into one good system.

While original parts are nice, I can deal with a couple of changes to get better functionality or get a better life span out of a machine. I'm very inclined to modify all of the functional 2600s I've got so that they don't use an earphone jack as a power connector. I lost at least 2 of those bricks as a kid because the secondary lines got shorted together. (tripped over the cord and the output got shorted on the way out of the system. I think my dad got smart and put a fast blow fuse in the third brick. An easier solution would be to use an isolated connector. The downside is I have to desolder the power connecter on the system and put a new one on.

Hex.

[ Can hear the purists screaming from here... ]

Well, I have a Playstation that I modded myself. I took my Dremel and cut a hole on the right upper side of the system so I could put a toggle switch for the mod chip in (the chip heats up FAST, so I toggle it off when I'm playing non burned or import games). My Dreamcast also has a mod chip to let me play imports. I have the import cartridge for the Saturn (three different ones in fact), and a slew of cool games (including an AWESOME version of Metal Slug), and have modified both my SNES and N64 to play import games (basically you just file or break off the physical barrier tabs, no biggie at all). That's about it. Everything else is original.

Well, I have a Playstation that I modded myself. I took my Dremel and cut a hole on the right upper side of the system so I could put a toggle switch for the mod chip in (the chip heats up FAST, so I toggle it off when I'm playing non burned or import games).

You know it only needs to be on while hte game boots, right?

I may be modding my Intellivision soon. Depends on what exactly is wrong with the RF out.

With luck it's just a loose connector. Worst-case scenerio is a dead RF modulator(it's known that the actual system works and the problem is only in the output).

Atari 800xl: 512k ram, Pokey/Gumby, UltraSpeed OS.

Commodore 128: 64k VDC, StereoSid.

Commodore 1700 REU: 2meg ram

Sega Saturn: Mod chipped.

2 Xbox's: Flashed TSOP, A19 bios select switch, Flash enable switch, Fan-speed control.

I'm getting my Neo Geo modded for S-Video so I can play it on my HDTV. The stock video out on the NEO is the dirtiest signal I've ever seen on any game console, I can only imagine how bad it is with RF. It only really shows up bad on my HDTV, so I have to play it on my old Quasar set.

All my other systems I'm happy with, so they'll probably remain stock. Although it wouldn't hurt to mod one of my 2600's to composite video. That may be a project I would actually do myself, but I'm not even going to attempt it on my NEOGEO. I'll let a pro take care of that.