IGNORED

Homebrew ColecoVision replacement mainboard

fieroluke

I've had similar concerns about the ease of assembly on my board, as I have trouble getting a reliable assembly even by myself: considering doing a port to through-hole components and a much larger board. Might do an Adam instead to absorb that change, that's a solid idea. Through-hole assembly is even more expensive than two-sided surface mount...

As for development/hobbyist tools, I have about half of a CamelForth port for the Sega SG-1000 on the go. I got stalled trying to write a keymap decoder because I wanted to do it a fancy, efficient, cool way instead of just actually doing it 🤪

5 minutes ago, leaded solder said:

I've had similar concerns about the ease of assembly on my board, as I have trouble getting a reliable assembly even by myself: considering doing a port to through-hole components and a much larger board. Might do an Adam instead to absorb that change, that's a solid idea. Through-hole assembly is even more expensive than two-sided surface mount...

As for development/hobbyist tools, I have about half of a CamelForth port for the Sega SG-1000 on the go. I got stalled trying to write a keymap decoder because I wanted to do it a fancy, efficient, cool way instead of just actually doing it 🤪

I hear ya! 
my latest revision of the board added SG1000 compatibility which I thought would have been cool, but complicated the layout even more of course! To simplify things I could have used programmable logic (GALs or CPLDs), but thinking this through you quickly end up with a FPGA version, and those already exist. The cool think about my concept (IMO) was that only an EPROM burner was needed to build it from scratch.

Meanwhile I’ve created a 100% through hole Colecovision, with 64K Ram and 64K ROM, SGM compatibility and Basic, but not as a drop in replacement, but as a set of circuit boards on a backplane - 80s style.

• Haha 1