IGNORED

Inquiry into repair for Wico 5200 keypad.

BIGHMW

Hey guys,

I most recently got an (untested) Wico Command Control 5200 keypad and joystick setup in the AA Marketplace. I have yet to test the joystick but I DID test the keypad, and noticed that buttons were all dead. I went ahead and stripped her down and cleaned the crap out of it using WD-40, since I do not have (nor own or have access to, here in very rural Port Townsend, due to no electronics stores or repair shops here) a proper electronics spray cleaner, and afterwards the start/pause/reset buttons all worked 100%, but, when I tested the keypad (after cleaning it up too), only the "8" key worked, the rest were dead.

I also noticed that the keypad rubber contacts, similar to the OG ones on the stock 5200 controller's keypad, were quite worn. I was unable to get all 12 keys to work on the Wico keypad. That leads me to ask, is there somebody here on AA who repairs and/or restores vintage Wico 5200 keypads, as I'm looking to use it along with my Redemption 7800 controller interface, and unless I find someone here that can fix it and make it run like new again, I guess I'll have to get a new (and pricey but they're worth it) Retro Game Boyz 5200 keypad for her, it's just which would cost less that'll determine what I do. Thanks! :) 

Did you gently rub the contacts with a clean pink eraser? After that I'd use a qtip and alcohol on the same contacts. 

I think the boards in these like to break in the bottom corner from pressing the button there too hard. I remember many years ago, I had to solder little wire jumpers around the corner to fix it. 

Edited by Charlie_

If it is the same one I'm thinking of that is like mine. My keypad buttons were working but none of my side buttons for start, pause, and reset were working. It ended up being a break in the cable itself. I took a junked 5200 controller and put its cable into my Wico and that got it fully working again. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

If it is the same one I'm thinking of that is like mine. My keypad buttons were working but none of my side buttons for start, pause, and reset were working. It ended up being a break in the cable itself. I took a junked 5200 controller and put its cable into my Wico and that got it fully working again. 

Mine is the exact same opposite, the start/pause/reset buttons work perfectly but only the "8" key on the numeric keypad works, and I am not as savvy with cords or at soldering (and we do not have an electronics store anywhere here in Port Townsend or all of very rural Jefferson County) as you might be, so I need to know where I can send it to get fixed so everything works on her 100%. I'm willing to ship it wherever I need to to get it done, even though there is a Masterplay clone from Retro Game Boyz available in which is simply a Wico-like 5200 keypad with a DB-9 connector for 2600/Sega sticks in which I COULD go for, as it's only $60.00 and a little wait to get it custom done. what do you suggest??? Which would be the cheapest route, I am almost about ready to say "'f' it" and get on the queue for one.

Here is the link to that Retro Game Boyz keypad/Masterplay clone:

https://retrogameboyz.com/products/atari-5200-db15-to-db9-adapter-with-keypad-sega-genesis-amiga-amstrad-commodore-joystick-pad?variant=39399140720695

9 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Hey guys,

I most recently got an (untested) Wico Command Control 5200 keypad and joystick setup in the AA Marketplace. I have yet to test the joystick....

I just did test the joystick and it works 100% so no problems there, so now I need the keypad worked on, I hope one of you guys might be able to recommend a repair shop that specializes in vintage gaming electronics, but it's now more imperative to get the keypad working again to accompany it. 

Edited by BIGHMW

If none of the keypad buttons are working, then the fault is common fault between them. Meaning it could very well be a broken connection to the ground or something that they all likely share. Everything inside those Wico keypads are built like tanks so my first thought is the cabling as that part uses very thin wire internally and it does break easily over time within the cable harness itself.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 6:17 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

If none of the keypad buttons are working, then the fault is common fault between them. Meaning it could very well be a broken connection to the ground or something that they all likely share. Everything inside those Wico keypads are built like tanks so my first thought is the cabling as that part uses very thin wire internally and it does break easily over time within the cable harness itself.

Anywhere I can send it to get it fixed? I'm not too savvy with cord replacement. And, BTW, the second fire button on the Wico 5200 joystick does not work so I need the 411 on where to get that fixed as well, and I have a dead Wico 5200 stick as well, one I have had for years but just hardly ever used. Also I WTB a Wico 5200 Y-cord for it as well.

Edited by BIGHMW
spelling error

If you can get the wico keypad working, you won't need the Y cable. I own three Wico controllers but only one of them actually works as the plastic lock on the other two have broken, so the controllers no longer self center and just flop around now. I would have to check if C5.com still has some of the 5200/Neo-Geo controller cable harnesses but I seem to recall they are sold out of them.

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

If you can get the wico keypad working, you won't need the Y cable. I own three Wico controllers but only one of them actually works as the plastic lock on the other two have broken, so the controllers no longer self center and just flop around now. I would have to check if C5.com still has some of the 5200/Neo-Geo controller cable harnesses but I seem to recall they are sold out of them.

@-^CrossBow^-

I have a Wico joystick with non-working resisters.  Cannot find them anywhere.  Would you be willing to sell two from your broken controllers?  If yes, please PM me.  Thank you

I believe the same one is broke on each of them. The one on the down direction so they just flip-flop about up and down and won't stay locked into place. Since I only have 1 that does actually work, I actually never even use it and just have them for the collection. The keypad works great so I use it in combination with an older AtariAge Redemption adapter and a Genesis 3 button gamepad. But I honestly play on my 5200 more with the stock controllers more than anything.

17 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I believe the same one is broke on each of them. The one on the down direction so they just flip-flop about up and down and won't stay locked into place. Since I only have 1 that does actually work, I actually never even use it and just have them for the collection. The keypad works great so I use it in combination with an older AtariAge Redemption adapter and a Genesis 3 button gamepad. But I honestly play on my 5200 more with the stock controllers more than anything.

I also, used that same format, an OG AtariAge Redemption adapter (7800 version) with my CX24 or CX78 and my WICO keypad. Of course, this was well before I discovered Best Electronics and their Best Lifetime Gold 5200 sticks and circuit/button repair kits, in which are a godsend, I even bought a pair of repair kits for when I restored my CX53 Trak-Ball, those same Best Lifetime gold repair kits work well with the Trak-Ball, considering the circuitry on the CX53 keypads and start/pause/reset are already gold contacts. And since my ball is a bit yellow (well she IS 40 years old) I plan to get a parts CX80 2600 Trak-Ball and use the ball from it instead. THEN she'll look as sweet as she performs since cleaning and restoring her.

Of course now you can get a keypad that'll work with that same controller or any other 2600 or 7800 (one button only) controller (and custom-made to order at that!) from Retro Game Boyz, or you can go there and explore all the options they have that even we Big Sexy owners can have

Edited by BIGHMW

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are the cable colors on both Wico and 5200 controllers the same? Is it an easy swap or do all 15 leads have to be tested via meter and writing down which Wico color wire points to which pin ID and then cross-reference with the Atari color? 

47 minutes ago, CommodoreDecker said:

Are the cable colors on both Wico and 5200 controllers the same? Is it an easy swap or do all 15 leads have to be tested via meter and writing down which Wico color wire points to which pin ID and then cross-reference with the Atari color? 

Not 100%. When I replaced the cable on mine a few years back I found that the WICO cable seem to have a full 15 wires on it but the actual 5200 controller only had 14. I matched pin for pin what I could since it was only 1 wire that wasn't making proper continuity on my WICO keypad and the other appeared to be a +5 that the 5200 controller cable didn't have. Anyway, it did actually work and that keypad is still in use today from time to time without issues. Maybe the +5 was there as a pass through for some other controller or attachment?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks, all!

I will look up some contact cleaner...

During the interim (last week) I procured a full 15-pin replacement cable when seeing my stock 5200 lacked one wire (boo!).  Soldering pinout to pinout, the keypad worked completely when testing on my spare 5200.  I don't recall where that extra lead was (I think it was pin 12 that, for the regular controller, has no connection) but all 15 traces did get used and are traceable on the Wico board.  I should take the time to trace those out and upload, but pin-for-pin it worked (yay!)

On 11/29/2021 at 5:00 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not 100%. When I replaced the cable on mine a few years back I found that the WICO cable seem to have a full 15 wires on it but the actual 5200 controller only had 14. I matched pin for pin what I could since it was only 1 wire that wasn't making proper continuity on my WICO keypad and the other appeared to be a +5 that the 5200 controller cable didn't have. Anyway, it did actually work and that keypad is still in use today from time to time without issues. Maybe the +5 was there as a pass through for some other controller or attachment?

It definitely was the 5v lead that's not in the cable.  I agree, it looks like the Wico passes it through.   Since only the Trakball uses +5v, and Wico's sticks don't seem to need it...  woohoo! :D

The other benefit of using the original Atari cable, even the 14-pin despite the lack of +5v pass-thru, instead of  a new OEM cable, is that Atari's cable's wire size is 1 gauge unit thicker (20).  The OEM uses 22, is visibly smaller, and I'm not sure the tinner wire is a good thing - even if it's all relative in terms of signals/current going through it?

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
On 11/18/2021 at 11:42 AM, Rob Mitchell said:

I would be happy to take a look.  I have both the Wico Keypad and joysticks .. and can replace the cord if necessary.  PM me.

Rob, do you fix 2600 joysticks as well? I have several of the CX-40 sticks plus a Wico bat 2600 stick that are no longer fully functioning (up/down/sideways), but otherwise are in great shape. I cannot find anyone who fixes them.