IGNORED

Eyeing up a parts CX80 Trak-Ball for use in my 5200 CX53 Trak-Ball unit (ball swap)

BIGHMW

Yes I AM eyeing up a parts CX80 Atari Trak-Ball on eBay simply for the black ball (and maybe the rollers in it for parts) as a replacement for my yellowing ball in my nearly-finished restoration of my CX53 5200 Trak-Ball, but wondered how upon getting the parts out of it without breaking it?

I took a look at my good CX80, in which I use in other units, and noticed there are no screws or screw holes in its design, should I just f' it and pry it (the parts one not my good one) open nary-a-care if the chassis breaks or is there a way to do it right? I figure I have a Retro Game Boyz all-black 5200 stick and wanted to match it with a CX52 Trak-Ball with the black ball instead of the off-white one, such a combo I would love to have.

New roller bearings are available from Console5: https://console5.com/store/atari-5200-cx-53-trak-ball-service-kit-bearings-buttons-and-more.html

They also have 3D printed encoder discs as well as a tool to replace the bearings.  Cost is $21.80 (+ shipping) for full kit of bearings, encoder discs and tool.

The ball is a standard bollards cue ball.

So there is no need to buy a spare if those are the only parts you want for spares.

The original roller balls used on the CX22, CX80 and CX53 are all the same and are simply a standard 2.25" billiard ball. If you accurately measure the original ball with a caliper you will find that most are ~2.15" -2.20" because they have been worn down a few thousands of an inch over years of use. I replaced the ball in my CX53 with an 8-Ball and it works perfectly, even better than the original. I also modified it with 2 Seimitsu PS-14-GN buttons because the stock buttons are crappy dome switches that stink on ice.

Atari 5200 Trak-Ball Controller  CX53.jpg

Edited by XLurker
typo
  • Like 1