IGNORED

Star Raiders - Star Commander Class 1 - Atari 130XE

Ocelo

I achieved the highest score possible on Star Raiders on my original Atari 130XE with an original 'Star Raider' cartridge! It was a lifelong goal to capture this high score on video. Star Raiders is an absolute classic and one of my all-time-favorite games.

image.thumb.png.8ef5d6a8dedc2c7a5e70b45dc9827566.png

Watch me achieve the high score on YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjhtTinGaFY&t=1364s

I stream other Atari and retro games on original hardware on Twitch.
My retro twitch stream: https://www.twitch.tv/ocelo78

• Like 19

37 minutes ago, Ocelo said:

I achieved the highest score possible on Star Raiders on my original Atari 130XE with an original 'Star Raider' cartridge! It was a lifelong goal

Congrats, that´s fucking brutal! ????

I am preparing to also achieve such grand goal.... in my next life, maybe... because judging by this one, I would still be trying at the nursing home.... 

??

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

On the highest difficulty by the looks.

I'm not sure you can even achieve the highest ranks on some of the lower settings.

You are correct! If you want the highest score, you must play on "Commander" difficulty. Anything lower and the highest score is not achievable. 

While the highest difficulty is really tough, there are a few tips that help make it more manageable.

1. Keep the enemy ships near the bottom of the screen while engaging, just enough so that you can hit them with your photons but they can't strike back (easily). Never fight enemy ships in the crosshairs.
2. When warping into a sector, try to steer around any enemy ships as you slow down on arrival. Taking an immediate hit when you warp into a sector is bad news.
3. Manage energy when jumping. Don't make long jumps unless you absolutely must. You can save energy by jumping in two short jumps rather than one long jump to reach far away sectors with enemies.

Again, these are from my father who trained me well.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, slx said:

Did you achieve this with shields on constantly or did you turn them off to preserve energy and increase score?

Shields always on. I understand that's a way to save energy, but it's so deadly to have them off ever. Random asteroid hits and flying into a sector are big risks for that.

If you can be quick about things, you can leave them up.

• Like 1