IGNORED

Mario Party Superstars

MrBeefy

I think the one on Wii U pretty much killed any interest my kids had in playing Mario Party.

I wrote this a while back.   From what you're seeing, is it still the same, or they "fix" things any?

A couple of years ago, I was playing Mario Party (Wii U) with my 2 kids.   We were all having a blast, especially my daughter (around 8 at the time) who was winning.   Near the end of the game, she rolled the dice and landed on a space 1 or 2 spots from the end of the game board that gives a “random effect.”  The random effect in this case was – Bowser took all of her stars, sending her from first place to last.     I could see the tears about to flow, and it completely ruined the game for her.   Even the rest of the players had a "yeah... that really cheapens the whole thing" vibe at that moment, so none of us enjoyed it.  To this date, neither kid has wanted to play it again.

I can understand some randomly generated negatives over the course of a game when you have a chance to bounce back.  But a game mechanic that simply says “you lose” near the end pretty much kills any reason to play.  Might as well have been a game breaking bug.

16 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I think the one on Wii U pretty much killed any interest my kids had in playing Mario Party.

I wrote this a while back.   From what you're seeing, is it still the same, or they "fix" things any?

A couple of years ago, I was playing Mario Party (Wii U) with my 2 kids.   We were all having a blast, especially my daughter (around 8 at the time) who was winning.   Near the end of the game, she rolled the dice and landed on a space 1 or 2 spots from the end of the game board that gives a “random effect.”  The random effect in this case was – Bowser took all of her stars, sending her from first place to last.     I could see the tears about to flow, and it completely ruined the game for her.   Even the rest of the players had a "yeah... that really cheapens the whole thing" vibe at that moment, so none of us enjoyed it.  To this date, neither kid has wanted to play it again.

I can understand some randomly generated negatives over the course of a game when you have a chance to bounce back.  But a game mechanic that simply says “you lose” near the end pretty much kills any reason to play.  Might as well have been a game breaking bug.

There us still a browser space. One of the things that happened last night was someone lost a star. I didn't say all stars just one, but I haven't played it enough to confirm that isn't an option.

It still has some things like switch coins and stars between players. Then there are the bonuses at the end. You can turn those off at least.