IGNORED

Final Assault - new game by GMG

globe

23 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Honestly it makes such a huge difference to the gameplay!

Definitely. All the available buttons make a difference.

@globe  There is one button on the SNES (green Y button) that isn't used for anything in FA currently - a pause button jumps to mind - being able to pause the game would be great.:grin:  I guess some might say it'll quite possibly take the tension out of gameplay if at a nerve wracking moment you could potentially pause to collect thoughts (or make a cuppa coffee) - but I still think it could be helpful.

Edit: Alternatively Y could be used to cycle through the weapon select the other way - so B cycles right through weapons selection, and Y cycles left. Just a thought.

If for some reason FA 1.2 happens I'll consider it.

Gonna have a proper FA session later this weekend as well as testing other games with the joypad, but just wanted to let ya'll know IMHO it's literally a game changer, especially for FPS engines :grin:  I really hope we see more FPS raycasting games on the A8 in months and years to come, all taking advantage of joypads.

Don't worry, after all the work I'm going to milk it for a while :):):)

I still want to make a big game that will be similar to System Shock with several floors, player augments, computer hacking, progress saving etc...

But that's far into the future.

Currently focusing on 128KB engine, hopefully I'll have something to show in a couple of weeks.

11 hours ago, Poison said:

It would be great to add modern ST mouse control :) RMB for Fire and for rotate. And keys WSAD for move :) A,D strafe L/R, W front, S back . .

As far as controls are concerned I added some options to 128KB engine and support for multiple controllers, but I'm kind of torn on the mouse controls.

Since this kind of engine doesn't support looking up and down (well, it's technically possible to fake but not sure the cost is worth it for mostly cosmetic feature) it would be limited to turning and shooting.

Also I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you have to mod your mouse for the RMB to work.

WSAD controls are possible as long as you don't want to strafe while also moving forward or backward - keyboard limitations.

Here's a peek of what's coming:

controls.png.2986322640da3923828a24cccbb8c089.png

There are a few control presets for various controllers + Custom preset that player can freely edit.

Currently supported controllers: Joystick, Joy2B+ with one or two extra buttons, SNACK in Classic or Enhanced mode, Atari Video Touch Pad (+similar) keypads and most of the keyboard.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, popmilo said:

40x25, most boring "gfx mode" there is on c64 ;)

It does have 16 possible colors per pixel :)

Looks like something for the VIC-20.

I'll take the one posted just before that instead. Smaller viewport (3/4?) and line-skipping, but achieves much more, in spite of...

Edited by MrFish

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Wow, I would take a guess here and say this would totally be possible as an engine on the A8. :) I'd love to see an rpg like this on the A8.

Sorry for bursting a bubble here ;)

It's not a game for ordinary msx machine... It needs "Panasonic FS A1 ST" like msx.

More about it here: https://www.msx.org/wiki/Panasonic_FS-A1ST

It has stuff like 256kb ram + main Risc cpu R800: at 28.636360 MHz :)

But yeah, 3d gfx is cool, never seen anything similar on 8bit... maybe I of the mask on Zx spectrum...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, popmilo said:

Sorry for bursting a bubble here ;)

It's not a game for ordinary msx machine... It needs "Panasonic FS A1 ST" like msx.

More about it here: https://www.msx.org/wiki/Panasonic_FS-A1ST

It has stuff like 256kb ram + main Risc cpu R800: at 28.636360 MHz :)

But yeah, 3d gfx is cool, never seen anything similar on 8bit... maybe I of the mask on Zx spectrum...

Well that explains why it looked so impressive!

Just switching back to the topic of this thread, has anyone heard from Globe, the creator of Final Assault? 

FA was such an amazing addition to the A8 library,  not to mention a complete surprise to come out of knowhere at the time. I'd love to know if he and Goldy have been working on anything else.

Globe is such a talented coder. His 128k raycasting 3D engine proof of concept demo still amazes me and is the basis of a great game engine. 

I think I'll have a FA session this weekend with my SNACK/SNES controller again. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 8:00 PM, popmilo said:

It needs "Panasonic FS A1 ST" like msx

It appears the game is playable on a stock MSX1 (even with 16K RAM) but you get about 2 fps, estimated in emulation. With a Turbo-R you get a smooth flow of frames. Some people might be satisfied with 2-3 fps though.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

It appears the game is playable on a stock MSX1 (even with 16K RAM) but you get about 2 fps, estimated in emulation. With a Turbo-R you get a smooth flow of frames. Some people might be satisfied with 2-3 fps though.

Just pretend it's a 3D game on the Jaguar :)

• Haha 2